Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Sandblaster advice

I have an old tubular towel rail/radiator which is in a pretty shappy state,
with loose/flaking paint and patches of rust. Methinks I have an excuse to
acquire a sandblaster.

It's not a subject I know much about. Googling reveals 2 fundamental
technologies:

Air like this http://tinyurl.com/wlnf5

Or water like this: http://tinyurl.com/y3fhsw

Since I own both a high power pressure washer and a compressor I could go
for either.

I'd be very interested in any opinions as the the relative merits of these.

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Vortex
writes
I have an old tubular towel rail/radiator which is in a pretty shappy state,
with loose/flaking paint and patches of rust. Methinks I have an excuse to
acquire a sandblaster.

It's not a subject I know much about. Googling reveals 2 fundamental
technologies:

Air like this http://tinyurl.com/wlnf5

Or water like this: http://tinyurl.com/y3fhsw

Since I own both a high power pressure washer and a compressor I could go
for either.

I'd be very interested in any opinions as the the relative merits of these.

I take it, this is just an excuse to buy a sand blast kit

However, you need to think about where you will do it, how you will
recycle the grit / bead / whatever

Also, if you really are serious about this towel rail - how are you
going to finish it off ?

I don't think you are going to get that much change out of £100 at the
end of the day for what you could prolly buy cheaper

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Vortex
writes
[...]

I make no apologies about the excuse and I have a number of other
applications.

"a tool is for life, not just for Christmas".

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Vortex
writes

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Vortex
writes
[...]

Then it depends on what these applications are liable to be

Personally, I would go for a dry system, and make yourself a cabinet of
some sort in which to blast

I would forget about mickey mouse kits, just buy a gun with a reservoir
and connect it up to your compressor

I buy glass beads (150-250u) from here

B C Abrasives Ltd
Corbiere
Eversley Centre
Eversley
RG27 0NJ

0118 9737511

although they have just moved and I don't have the new details to hand.
Better than paying a "hobby" price

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

--
[...]

Thanks for the recommendation.

My inclination is towards the "wet" sandblasting approach.

My home is rendered, and at some stage in the past the render was painted
with non-porous vinyl paint, which is now bubbling and flaking. In addition
various climbing plants including ivy have grown up it. No problem to
remove the plants but the ivy in particular leaves stubborn "tracks" which
are very difficult to manually remove. Even high power jetwash from 5cm
doesn't work.

I guess this is a wet sandblasting application...but I assume the abrasive
used for this is a "single use" consumable.

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Vortex wrote:

Since I own both a high power pressure washer and a compressor I
could go for either.

Pros & cons as always. Dry systems throw up loads of nasty dust. Wet
systems don't, but if you blast metal it starts to rust immediately - this
can be treated though.

Both depend on the amount of welly behind them. Not sure about air
operated, but wet needs a HPC of at least 2.9 kW.

For the outside of the hpouse the wet system is the only option. Block
paving sand works well & is easy to get. Check the Pressure Washer FAQ for
more info.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Vortex
writes

--
[...]

Then is this £40 quidish stick up to the job ?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Vortex wrote:
I have an old tubular towel rail/radiator which is in a pretty shappy state,
with loose/flaking paint and patches of rust. Methinks I have an excuse to
acquire a sandblaster.

It's not a subject I know much about. Googling reveals 2 fundamental
technologies:

Air like this http://tinyurl.com/wlnf5

Or water like this: http://tinyurl.com/y3fhsw

Since I own both a high power pressure washer and a compressor I could go
for either.

I'd be very interested in any opinions as the the relative merits of these.

David

I have both systems, the wet one is unbelievably messy & really
requires two people, as the suction intake/sand needs both to be kept
dry & constantly moved about to stop the cavitation & ensure a constant
flow of abrasive. You are also left with large amounts of wet sand
everywhere. I only used mine once, it now hangs up in the garage and
will eventually find its way onto ebay!

The dry gun spot blast method is less messy but slower due to the
small area covered. The ideal method is to build yourself a cabinet out
of cheap ply & perspex & use one of the non-recirculating guns such as
Part No : SEASSG8.

Chris

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Vortex wrote:
I have an old tubular towel rail/radiator which is in a pretty shappy state,
with loose/flaking paint and patches of rust. Methinks I have an excuse to
acquire a sandblaster.

It's not a subject I know much about. Googling reveals 2 fundamental
technologies:

Air like this http://tinyurl.com/wlnf5

Or water like this: http://tinyurl.com/y3fhsw

Since I own both a high power pressure washer and a compressor I could go
for either.

I'd be very interested in any opinions as the the relative merits of these.

David

Its not the blaster, its the place to do it, and the gear you MUST wear
when doing it.

Far better to wander down to your local sandblsating shop with the rad
in one hand a and a crate of beer in the other..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 29 Oct 2006 16:55:52 +0000, Vortex wrote:

I have an old tubular towel rail/radiator which is in a pretty shappy
state, with loose/flaking paint and patches of rust. Methinks I have an
excuse to acquire a sandblaster.

It's not a subject I know much about. Googling reveals 2 fundamental
technologies:

Air like this http://tinyurl.com/wlnf5

Or water like this: http://tinyurl.com/y3fhsw

Since I own both a high power pressure washer and a compressor I could go
for either.

I'd be very interested in any opinions as the the relative merits of
these.

David

===============================
Remember it could also be rusted internally as well and a heavy session of
sand-blasting could lead to leaks. Think how many cars you've seen with
beautiful paintwork covering a lacework of rusty metal ready to
disintegrate.

--
================================
Testing UBUNTU Linux

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message . com,
Skokiaan writes
The dry gun spot blast method is less messy but slower due to the
small area covered. The ideal method is to build yourself a cabinet out
of cheap ply & perspex

I'd advise against that - use glass. Perspex will prolly last 30 seconds
before you can no longer see through it

If you use it to any extent, you need more than ply, you can eat through
it, either metal plate or maybe rubber

--
geoff