Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Upgrading GCH to sealed system (belated thanks) and Heatbanks

Well I just did it, having purchased the parts over 2 years ago. (see
http://tinyurl.com/y6u4myn for related queries at that time).

The system is now upgraded, flushed, cleaned, and Fernoxed again. Bleeding
was easy, and the fact I have an oversized expansion vessel means there
seems to be very little cold/hot pressure variation (1.5 Bar cold; 1.8 bar
hot)...and apparently zero leakage.

System is now quieter. MUCH easier to bleed (a real pain before), and I
have no header tank in the loft.

The next challenge is to rid the loft of the main water tank and that
implies a Heatbank.

+++++++++++++

Just started researching this (www.heatweb.com) and I've discovered a huge
paradox.

* I was originally contemplating a unit such as the DPS Pandora, with
which I would retain the indirect HW circuit from my existing heating
system.

* But now I see there is a product called the "GX"which appears to me to
offer considerably more flexibility/'efficiency. BUT requires the system
to be vented (ie it needs a header tank!!!!!!)

Has anybody any experience of these systems/comments?

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Vortex" wrote in message
.. .
Well I just did it, having purchased the parts over 2 years ago. (see
http://tinyurl.com/y6u4myn for related queries at that time).

That link doesn't work David
I suppose this is the thread?
http://snipurl.com/10l4k

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Graham" wrote in message

"Vortex" wrote in message
.. .
Well I just did it, having purchased the parts over 2 years ago. (see
http://tinyurl.com/y6u4myn for related queries at that time).

That link doesn't work David
I suppose this is the thread?
http://snipurl.com/10l4k

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%

That's the one.

Hast have been a side effect of Budvar.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 27 Oct 2006 19:50:18 +0100 someone who may be "Vortex"
wrote this:-

The next challenge is to rid the loft of the main water tank and that
implies a Heatbank.

Or a mains pressure hot water cylinder. If you want to do this then
it contains a large volume of hot water under mains pressure. That
means bureaucracy in the form of approved installers, several safety
devices and an annual service (which is not free).

* But now I see there is a product called the "GX"which appears to me to
offer considerably more flexibility/'efficiency. BUT requires the system
to be vented (ie it needs a header tank!!!!!!)

Thermal stores don't involve a large volume of water under mains
pressure. Rather the primary water is under just gravity pressure
from a header tank (which can be built into the unit or separate).
This avoids the bureaucracy and expense of a mains pressure hot
water cylinder. Instead the only water under mains pressure is the
secondary water, which passes through a heat exchanger.

One could use a mains pressure thermal store. It would then be
subject to the same bureaucracy as a mains pressure hot water
cylinder, though there would be no tanks in the loft.

The choice is yours.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh