DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Wire width for a socket ring main (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/180613-wire-width-socket-ring-main.html)

[email protected] October 27th 06 02:27 PM

Wire width for a socket ring main

Hi,

I have a ring main in my kitchen for 7 double sockets. I want to add a
spur from 2 of the existing sockets to generate 2 new double sockets
which will be in a better position for my new fitted kitchen. My
question is what width should the T&E be for the spurs?

Thank you,

James

[email protected] October 27th 06 02:34 PM

wrote:
Hi,

I have a ring main in my kitchen for 7 double sockets. I want to add a
spur from 2 of the existing sockets to generate 2 new double sockets
which will be in a better position for my new fitted kitchen. My
question is what width should the T&E be for the spurs?

"Width" seems an odd way of describing T&E, but....

The correct size of T&E for such a spur is 2.5sq mm. You are only
allowed one double socket per spur (which sounds like what you are
proposing).

It's in a kitchen so (I think) Part P applies, if that worries you.

--
Chris Green

[email protected] October 27th 06 03:59 PM

Wire width for a socket ring main

Thank you,

Yes sorry not sure why width jumped in to my head.

James

dcbwhaley October 27th 06 04:07 PM

Wire width for a socket ring main

It's in a kitchen so (I think) Part P applies, if that worries you.

--

Slightly off topic.

Part of the definition of a kitchen for part P is that it is a room
containing a sink. So would removing the sink before rewiring and
replacing it afterwards let you out of the requirment for
notification.? :-)

David Hansen October 27th 06 04:41 PM

Wire width for a socket ring main

On 27 Oct 2006 06:27:28 -0700 someone who may be
wrote this:-

I have a ring main in my kitchen for 7 double sockets. I want to add a
spur from 2 of the existing sockets to generate 2 new double sockets
which will be in a better position for my new fitted kitchen. My
question is what width should the T&E be for the spurs?

The answer to your question is, it depends.

It depends on a whole host of factors which are listed in the Wiring
Regulations and related documents. They can also be found by using a
search engine on this group.

As a guide, assuming the original ring main was installed correctly
it is likely that the size of cable used for that will be suitable
for your two spurs. This may well be 2.5mm squared, but that can
only be determined by looking at your kitchen.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

marvelus October 27th 06 09:19 PM

On 27 Oct 2006 08:07:49 -0700, "dcbwhaley" wrote:

It's in a kitchen so (I think) Part P applies, if that worries you.

--

Slightly off topic.

Part of the definition of a kitchen for part P is that it is a room
containing a sink. So would removing the sink before rewiring and
replacing it afterwards let you out of the requirment for
notification.? :-)

What are the other parts of the definition?

Andy Wade October 28th 06 11:44 AM

marvelus wrote:

What are the other parts of the definition?

4. For the purposes of this Schedule -

"kitchen" means a room or part of a room which contains a sink
and food preparation facilities;

[http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2004/20043210.htm (as amended by
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2006/20060652.htm Section 20)]

--
Andy

Andy Wade October 28th 06 11:48 AM

Wire width for a socket ring main

wrote:

My utility room contains the old kitchen sink. Would part P apply there?

Not unless there are also "food preparation facilities."

Actually Part P *applies* to *all* electrical work in a dwelling, what
you mean is "is the work notifiable?"

--
Andy

Andrew Gabriel October 28th 06 12:45 PM

Wire width for a socket ring main

In article ,
Andy Wade writes:
marvelus wrote:

What are the other parts of the definition?

4. For the purposes of this Schedule -

"kitchen" means a room or part of a room which contains a sink
and food preparation facilities;

Which means most kitchens cease being kitchens for the period
between gutting the old one, and finishing the new one.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Andy Wade October 28th 06 02:11 PM

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Which means most kitchens cease being kitchens for the period
between gutting the old one, and finishing the new one.

Now there's an interesting point...

--
Andy

dcbwhaley October 28th 06 06:35 PM

Wire width for a socket ring main

wrote:

On 28 Oct,
Andy Wade wrote:

wrote:

My utility room contains the old kitchen sink. Would part P apply there?

Not unless there are also "food preparation facilities."

There aren't, so it doesn't. Good.

Of course a tin plate and a Swiss army knife could be construed as
"food preperation facilites" - that's what I use when I'm backpacking.

Actually Part P *applies* to *all* electrical work in a dwelling, what
you mean is "is the work notifiable?"

True. For what I'm proposing it will anyway. whether it is notified is
another matter.

I suopose I'll have to get access to a Robin (or similar tester) as I no
longer have access to one at work.

I suppose I could get one on Ebay, and sell it on afterwards forabout the
same as it costs. Cheaper than hiring.

Problem with buying second hand is calibration. Recalibration can cost
nearly as much as hiring.

--
B Thumbs
Change lycos to yahoo to reply