Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default TRV and main thermostat

We have TRVs fitted to our radiators. The plumber recommended that the
hall thermostat be turned up to max. Is this correct? Bearing in mind
that our hall radiator is currently off due to it leaking, wouldn't
this situation cause the boiler to fire up more often than it needs to?

Is it generally recommended to set your main thermostat to max if you
have TRVs fitted to rads?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Is it generally recommended to set your main thermostat to max if you
have TRVs fitted to rads?

No. Doing so will cause poor energy efficiency and is against the spirit of
the building regulations Part L1, which requires you to fit the thermostat
in the first place.

wouldn't this situation cause the boiler to fire up more often than it
needs to?

Very much so.

In your situation, set the room thermostat as normal, but leave a door open
from the hallway into a room with working heating. It won't be quite as good
as fixing the radiator, but should help mitigate the consequences. Choose a
room that is unlikely to be a fire risk, like a dining room. You don't want
a fire in the kitchen blocking the hall or stairs.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Christian McArdle wrote:
Is it generally recommended to set your main thermostat to max if you
have TRVs fitted to rads?

No. Doing so will cause poor energy efficiency and is against the spirit of
the building regulations Part L1, which requires you to fit the thermostat
in the first place.

wouldn't this situation cause the boiler to fire up more often than it
needs to?

Very much so.

In your situation, set the room thermostat as normal, but leave a door open
from the hallway into a room with working heating. It won't be quite as good
as fixing the radiator, but should help mitigate the consequences. Choose a
room that is unlikely to be a fire risk, like a dining room. You don't want
a fire in the kitchen blocking the hall or stairs.

Christian.

So if the hall radiator was working, should the thermostat be turned up
to max? I don't understand why the plumber recommended this. The TRVs
do not directly control the boiler, like the main thermostat does.

I think the current location of the room thermostat is wrong as it is
in the hall quite close to the door, which is one of the coolest
locations in the house. Would it make more sense to relocate it to the
lounge?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

So if the hall radiator was working, should the thermostat be turned up
to max?

No, this just bypasses the boiler interlock and defeats the object.

I don't understand why the plumber recommended this. The TRVs
do not directly control the boiler, like the main thermostat does.

Because he is a thick as sh*t Luddite who knows how to make a compression
joint, but knows nothing about HVAC design.

I think the current location of the room thermostat is wrong as it is
in the hall quite close to the door, which is one of the coolest
locations in the house.

In some ways, a cool location is ideal for a room thermostat, as it ensures
that the boiler only stops firing when even the cool parts of the house have
warmed up.

Would it make more sense to relocate it to the lounge?

Personally, I do prefer it in the lounge. Largely because that is where most
time is spent, and thus you get the most accurate and comfortable
temperature there. However, there are some caveats, especially if you have
supplementary heating in that room, such as an open or gas fire. Also, if
the layout of the house makes it naturally a particularly warm room, then it
is inadvisable as a location.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
PM PM is offline

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
.. .

Would it make more sense to relocate it to the lounge?

Personally, I do prefer it in the lounge. Largely because that is where

most
time is spent, and thus you get the most accurate and comfortable
temperature there.

Don't you get a comfortable temp by adjusting the TRV on the lounge rad?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Christian McArdle wrote:
[...]

Exactly. The theory is that the place with the thermostat is the last
place that gets warm enough. THEN teh boiler shuts down. By that time
all TRV's should be closed.

I think the current location of the room thermostat is wrong as it is
in the hall quite close to the door, which is one of the coolest
locations in the house.

That is intentional as you want it in the coolest place.

Would it make more sense to relocate it to the
lounge?

No.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Don't you get a comfortable temp by adjusting the TRV on the lounge rad?

Yes, but the positioning and accuracy of a programmable thermostat is vastly
superior to a mechanical expansion device next to the rad.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

So basically what the plumber told me about setting the thermostat to
max is rubbish. It certainly made no sense to me.

Yes. You are right. Your plumber is wrong.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

your plumber is wrong

your boiler will basically be calling for heat till july next year

but you should not have a trv in the same room as the room stat as this
is against current building regualtions

you proberly should have called a heating engineer as you may have got
better advice not someone who fits toilets and baths

heating egineer for 20 years

Posted to uk.d-i-y

marcusb3495 wrote:
your plumber is wrong

your boiler will basically be calling for heat till july next year

but you should not have a trv in the same room as the room stat as this
is against current building regualtions

It was just an 'observation' he made when we asked him about the broken
radiator. But when the TRVs were installed as part of a house extension
build, the plumber fitted a TRV in the hall where the thermostat is
located. I think I'll just leave that one fully open.

you proberly should have called a heating engineer as you may have got
better advice not someone who fits toilets and baths

So if I were to have a new combi boiler installed, do I call a plumber
or heating engineer? Or both?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

the plumber fitted a TRV in the hall where the thermostat is
located.

What a pratt.

I think I'll just leave that one fully open.

Good idea.

So if I were to have a new combi boiler installed, do I call a plumber
or heating engineer? Or both?

Call the asylum (unless you live alone and only like showers).

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Christian McArdle wrote:

So if I were to have a new combi boiler installed, do I call a plumber
or heating engineer? Or both?

Call the asylum (unless you live alone and only like showers).

Am I mad? Here's my reasoning:
The current boiler is 10 years old, on it's last legs, and will
probably struggle with the extra radiators we added (hope it gets
through the winter)
The hot water storage tank fills an entire cupboard, which could be put
to better use.
We don't have baths, only showers.
The shower pump is extremely noisy and we've had problems with it (I'm
assuming this won't be needed with a combi)
A combi will be more efficient and reduce my gas bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

marcusb3495 wrote:
your plumber is wrong

your boiler will basically be calling for heat till july next year

but you should not have a trv in the same room as the room stat as this
is against current building regualtions

you proberly should have called a heating engineer as you may have got
better advice not someone who fits toilets and baths

heating egineer for 20 years

So true he said it 5 times..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
marcusb3495 wrote:
your plumber is wrong

your boiler will basically be calling for heat till july next year

but you should not have a trv in the same room as the room stat as this
is against current building regualtions

you proberly should have called a heating engineer as you may have got
better advice not someone who fits toilets and baths

heating egineer for 20 years

So true he said it 5 times..

sorry for that--not on purpose

Posted to demon.local,uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.caravanning,uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.motorcycles

"Theobold Watcher" verbally
sodomised in :

On 8-Nov-2006, Phil Kyle wrote:

Geoff verbally sodomised in
:

On Fri, 27 Oct 2006 16:19:49 +0000 (UTC), Phil Kyle
wrote:

Harry Bloomfield verbally sodomised
in :

pretended :
We have TRVs fitted to our radiators. The plumber recommended that
the hall thermostat be turned up to max. Is this correct? Bearing
in mind that our hall radiator is currently off due to it leaking,
wouldn't this situation cause the boiler to fire up more often
than it needs to?

Ignoring your hall radiator problem for the moment and assuming it
were working, I would still set your hall thermostat to comfortable
temperature - such that it once the house is up to temperature it
shuts the boiler off. Set to maximum - the boiler would cycle on
and off frequently on the boiler stat, which is wasteful of energy
and increase wear and tear on the boiler. Maximum is therefore bad
advice.

As your hall radiator is faulty, leave doors open so the thermostat
gets heat from other rooms, then fine tune the hall stat once the
rad is fixed.

I wish my boiler had a seat.

Boils.

You can get cream for that.

Craig Oldfield squeezes his boils and eats the cream that comes out.

You *******. I'm sure you got the intended reaction out of me there.
**** sake...

--
Phil Kyle™

h i
i s
s l
f i l
S o n o
i u e n
g r s g
Posted to demon.local,uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.caravanning,uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.motorcycles

"Theobold Watcher" verbally
sodomised in :

On 8-Nov-2006, Phil Kyle wrote:

"Theobold Watcher" verbally
sodomised in :

On 29-Oct-2006, ah wrote:

Geoff wrote:
On Fri, 27 Oct 2006 16:19:49 +0000 (UTC), Phil Kyle
wrote:

Harry Bloomfield verbally
sodomised in
:

pretended :
[...]

Corns.

Carbuncles.

Carbootsale

OY! WE TOLD YOU! NO JAMES FOLLETT PAPERBACKS AT THIS SALE!

You and your bloody standards.

--
Phil Kyle™

h i