Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Light in shed

Hi,

I'd like to install a light in my shed. It already has mains present,
in the form of a double socket with built-in RCD.

Is it acceptable to use a fused switch for the light, and daisy-chain
the feed to the switch from the back of the socket? Or should I use a
junction box? Or is all this prohibited by Part P because I'm not a sparks?

I also understand that I need to put a label on the consumer unit to the
effect that new and old colour schemes are in place; where can I buy
such a label, or can I just make my own?

Oh, and another thing :-) I've been trying to find a source for earth
sleeving but can't find it anywhere -- anyone got a handy link?

Thanks
- Ian

--
Ian Chard, Unix & Network Administrator | E:
Systems and Electronic Resources Service | T: 80587 / (01865) 280587
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ian Chard wrote:

I'd like to install a light in my shed. It already has mains present,
in the form of a double socket with built-in RCD.

Is it acceptable to use a fused switch for the light, and daisy-chain
the feed to the switch from the back of the socket? Or should I use a
junction box?

connect from the back of the socket to a fused connection unit with a 5A
fuse. From there to your light using whichever method is easiest i.e.
power could go to a batten holder or ceiling rose and you have a
dedicated switch wire, or you could wire to the switch first, or wire to
a 4 terminal junction box and have wires to both switch and lamp.

Or is all this prohibited by Part P because I'm not a sparks?

Since it is not a "special location", and you already have the exterior
wiring to the shed in place it is outside the scope of prat p.

I also understand that I need to put a label on the consumer unit to the
effect that new and old colour schemes are in place; where can I buy
such a label, or can I just make my own?

Electrical wholesaler, or make your own.

Oh, and another thing :-) I've been trying to find a source for earth
sleeving but can't find it anywhere -- anyone got a handy link?

That ought to last a while:

or smaller quntities:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CAGS3slash10.html

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Ian Chard writes:
Hi,

I'd like to install a light in my shed. It already has mains present,
in the form of a double socket with built-in RCD.

Is it acceptable to use a fused switch for the light, and daisy-chain
the feed to the switch from the back of the socket?

Yes. Use 2.5mm² T&E from the socket to the fused switch,
and anything from 1mm² to 2.5mm² for the run to the
lamp.

Or should I use a junction box?

You can use a junction box, but you still need the fused switch.

Or is all this prohibited by Part P because I'm not a sparks?

Part P doesn't prohibit anything. Some alterations will require
that you pay building control to come and inspect your own work.

I also understand that I need to put a label on the consumer unit to the
effect that new and old colour schemes are in place; where can I buy
such a label, or can I just make my own?

You can make your own, but they are available from electrical
wholesalers. I would imagine they would be in B&Q too, but I
don't actually recall seeing any there.

Oh, and another thing :-) I've been trying to find a source for earth
sleeving but can't find it anywhere -- anyone got a handy link?

Every electrical accessory retailer/wholesaler sells it.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
bof bof is offline

In message , Andrew Gabriel
writes
In article ,
Ian Chard writes:
Hi,

I'd like to install a light in my shed. It already has mains present,
in the form of a double socket with built-in RCD.

Is it acceptable to use a fused switch for the light, and daisy-chain
the feed to the switch from the back of the socket?

Yes. Use 2.5mm² T&E from the socket to the fused switch,
and anything from 1mm² to 2.5mm² for the run to the
lamp.

Is there a problem in using just 2.5mm cabling and no additional fuse?

--
bof at bof dot me dot uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 11:14:53 +0100 someone who may be bof
wrote this:-

I'd like to install a light in my shed. It already has mains present,
in the form of a double socket with built-in RCD.

Is it acceptable to use a fused switch for the light, and daisy-chain
the feed to the switch from the back of the socket?

Yes. Use 2.5mm² T&E from the socket to the fused switch,
and anything from 1mm² to 2.5mm² for the run to the
lamp.

Is there a problem in using just 2.5mm cabling and no additional fuse?

Yes, the obvious ones.

If they are not obvious then do some basic research on electrical
wiring.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Is there a problem in using just 2.5mm cabling and no additional fuse?

Yes. There would be no overcurrent protection, just (presumably) short
circuit protection. However, this depends on your set up. We don't know the
nature of the supply and what it is fused at.

You may find, for example, that your shed is off a 16A MCB at the house
consumer unit. In this case, you may find that a particular fluorescent
fitting is actually acceptable on a 16A circuit, as both fittings and 16A
lighting circuits are common in commercial buildings. If this is the case,
you can forego the fuse.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/10/06 11:54, Christian McArdle wrote:
Is there a problem in using just 2.5mm cabling and no additional fuse?

Yes. There would be no overcurrent protection, just (presumably) short
circuit protection. However, this depends on your set up. We don't know the
nature of the supply and what it is fused at.

You may find, for example, that your shed is off a 16A MCB at the house
consumer unit. In this case, you may find that a particular fluorescent
fitting is actually acceptable on a 16A circuit, as both fittings and 16A
lighting circuits are common in commercial buildings. If this is the case,
you can forego the fuse.

Thanks all for the advice (and the Screwfix link -- how did I miss
that?). I already have a fused switch so I'll just use that with a fuse
rated appropriately for whatever light fitting I end up using.

- Ian

--
Ian Chard, Unix & Network Administrator | E:
Systems and Electronic Resources Service | T: 80587 / (01865) 280587
Oxford University Library Services | F: (01865) 242287
Posted to uk.d-i-y
bof bof is offline

In message , Christian
McArdle writes
Is there a problem in using just 2.5mm cabling and no additional fuse?

Yes. There would be no overcurrent protection, just (presumably) short
circuit protection. However, this depends on your set up. We don't know the
nature of the supply and what it is fused at.

You may find, for example, that your shed is off a 16A MCB at the house
consumer unit. In this case, you may find that a particular fluorescent
fitting is actually acceptable on a 16A circuit, as both fittings and 16A
lighting circuits are common in commercial buildings. If this is the case,
you can forego the fuse.

In my particular case the feed to the shed is fused at 13A with an
incandescent bulb on the spur.

--
bof at bof dot me dot uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ian Chard wrote:

Oh, and another thing :-) I've been trying to find a source for earth
sleeving but can't find it anywhere -- anyone got a handy link?

Wilkinsons sell it in little packets. You get a bit about 3' long? Cost
pennies.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

More shed electrical questions... (long explanation) Larry Fishel Home Repair 2 December 27th 05 08:59 PM
Funny:How many forum members does it takes to change a light bulb? Paul UK diy 3 December 21st 05 11:05 AM
Light Bulb Phil UK diy 18 March 27th 05 05:50 PM
Found elsewhere but perhaps a bit close to home? John UK diy 5 December 29th 04 11:28 PM
Change a light bulb Usenet Style Stormin Mormon Home Repair 1 July 18th 04 11:03 AM