Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default SDS Drill... WOOOF!

I eventually ordered the £99 special deal Bosch SDS drill form Screwfix, and
also went for the £24.99 20 piece SDS drill bit kit that everyone I work
with suggested would be crap. The blow moulded case they came in would
suggest they are crap, but I have just (in the last 10 mins) given the drill
and the bits thier first real challnge.

I needed to drill a 16mm hold through our exterior wall into the kitchen,
which is about 400mm of render, brick and blockwork. It is the same wall
that my last non-SDS bosch drill died while drilling two weekends ago.

Cut a long story short, it took about 45 seconds, applying minimal force to
go all the way through the wall. No messin'

If anyone is looking to buy a new drill and some bits, this combo totally
gets my thumbs up!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Chris Styles" wrote in message
I eventually ordered the £99 special deal Bosch SDS drill form Screwfix,

and
also went for the £24.99 20 piece SDS drill bit kit that everyone I work
with suggested would be crap. The blow moulded case they came in would
suggest they are crap, but I have just (in the last 10 mins) given the

drill
and the bits thier first real challnge.

I needed to drill a 16mm hold through our exterior wall into the kitchen,
which is about 400mm of render, brick and blockwork. It is the same wall
that my last non-SDS bosch drill died while drilling two weekends ago.

Cut a long story short, it took about 45 seconds, applying minimal force

go all the way through the wall. No messin'

If anyone is looking to buy a new drill and some bits, this combo totally
gets my thumbs up!

Ahhh... the excitement of your first SDS experience. Unfortunately its a bit
like sex, the more you do it the less exciting it is. ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , TonyK
writes
Ahhh... the excitement of your first SDS experience. Unfortunately its a bit
like sex, the more you do it the less exciting it is. ;-)

Well, if it's only 45 seconds for you......... Of course, as you get
more experienced you find more exciting projects to use your tools for.

--
Clint Sharp
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ahhh... the excitement of your first SDS experience. Unfortunately its a
bit
like sex, the more you do it the less exciting it is. ;-)

Well, I have been having SDS all afternoon. I am a bit tired now but the
novelty hasnt worn off... I'm into safe SDS, so I am using DustBubbles...
No DustBubble, no SDS... I dont want to get contaminated ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Chris Styles
writes
I eventually ordered the £99 special deal Bosch SDS drill form Screwfix, and
also went for the £24.99 20 piece SDS drill bit kit that everyone I work
with suggested would be crap. The blow moulded case they came in would
suggest they are crap, but I have just (in the last 10 mins) given the drill
and the bits thier first real challnge.

I needed to drill a 16mm hold through our exterior wall into the kitchen,
which is about 400mm of render, brick and blockwork. It is the same wall
that my last non-SDS bosch drill died while drilling two weekends ago.

Cut a long story short, it took about 45 seconds, applying minimal force to
go all the way through the wall. No messin'

If anyone is looking to buy a new drill and some bits, this combo totally
gets my thumbs up!

Another "church of the SDS mind" convert :-/
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , TonyK
writes

[...]

Nah!, you just have to change the drill bit sometimes;=}}
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 13:02:25 UTC, "TonyK" wrote:

[...]

Ah, but you get to drill lots of different holes!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Chris Styles
writes

I needed to drill a 16mm hold through our exterior wall into the kitchen,
which is about 400mm of render, brick and blockwork. It is the same wall
that my last non-SDS bosch drill died while drilling two weekends ago.

I've just been drilling a 150mm hole through the same render/block/brick
combination. I used a cutter from my tool hire place. Very satisfying to
see the neat hole and the complete plug that you get from inside the
cutter. It was certainly a lot easier than "daisy chaining" the hole
using a 12mm drill as I've done in the past.

--
Paul Giverin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"TonyK" wrote in message
. uk...

[...]

You'll have to try it Left-handed off a ladder next time .... ermmm, that's
SDS ....

--

Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 13:40:30 +0100, "Chris Styles"
wrote:

I eventually ordered the £99 special deal Bosch SDS drill form Screwfix

Assuming it's the one linked on their front page (stock code 19663)
with a picture of a GBH2-24, that model was supposed to have been made
obsolete about a year ago.

Exactly what model have you got?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tony sayer wrote:

Another "church of the SDS mind" convert :-/

Praise be! The Only Path To Purity.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Tony sayer wrote:
Another "church of the SDS mind" convert :-/

Not that I do enough of this sort of such work to justify £125
on a drill and bits, but if I were to be looking for such kit from a
hire shop, what is so magical about "SDS"? Is it a high torque system?
Or a better hammer action (ohhh, I remember my first proper hammering.
Left-handed up a ladder too.) ?

--
Aidan
Aberdeen, Scotland

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Aidan Karley wrote:
In article , Tony sayer wrote:
Another "church of the SDS mind" convert :-/

Not that I do enough of this sort of such work to justify £125
on a drill and bits, but if I were to be looking for such kit from a
hire shop, what is so magical about "SDS"? Is it a high torque system?
Or a better hammer action (ohhh, I remember my first proper hammering.
Left-handed up a ladder too.) ?

Its a hexagonal shank on the drill actually. Strictly.

It has been adopted by the shed marketeers as 'Simply Doubly Supe' -
i.e. if you don't have one in your toolkit, you won't shag beautiful
women and may get AIDS instead.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Aidan Karley wrote:
In article , Tony sayer wrote:
Another "church of the SDS mind" convert :-/

Not that I do enough of this sort of such work to justify £125 on
a drill and bits, but if I were to be looking for such kit from a hire
shop, what is so magical about "SDS"? Is it a high torque system? Or a
better hammer action (ohhh, I remember my first proper hammering.
Left-handed up a ladder too.) ?

Its a hexagonal shank on the drill actually. Strictly.

It's got nothing to do with 'hexagonal shank' at all! - Proof, if proof were
needed, that "The Natural Philosopher" hasn't a clue about what he chunters
of!
An SDS 'device' is a combination of 'drill' and 'bits' ... simply; the
'drill' contains two seperate systems; a 'turning' system and a 'thumping'
sytem. The bits?chisels etc have a _round_ shank, not 'hexagonal', which has
two 'dimples on; the first is a round dimple while the other is a elongated
dimple. The elongated dimple enables the bit/chisel to move backwards and
forwards within the 'chuck'. when being 'thumped' The turning system rotates
the bit.
The action is somwhat reminiscent of the ancient 'rawl-drill', thump, twist,
thump, twist ... (until knackered).; but with the efficacy of electricery
generating the thumping action and the rotating action too.
A decent 'SDS' drill will have three selectable modes; rotate, thump only
and rotate while thumping. These are sometimes referred to as drill; rotate
stop (hammer) and dril and hammer. The 'thumping' action is only energised
when pressire is applied to bit/drill combination which assures that the
centre of the hole will be where you position the bit!

It has been adopted by the shed marketeers as 'Simply Doubly Supe' - i.e.
if you don't have one in your toolkit, you won't shag beautiful women and
may get AIDS instead.

whereas if you show up at the house of a beautiful women waving your
hexagonal shank; she'll laugh at you ... all her girl friends will giggle at
your ignorance of SDS system.

--

Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article oup, Aidan
Karley .group writes
In article , Tony sayer wrote:
Another "church of the SDS mind" convert :-/

Not that I do enough of this sort of such work to justify £125
on a drill and bits, but if I were to be looking for such kit from a
hire shop, what is so magical about "SDS"? Is it a high torque system?
Or a better hammer action (ohhh, I remember my first proper hammering.
Left-handed up a ladder too.) ?

Try one, you'll see
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Sharrock wrote:
Aidan Karley wrote:
In article , Tony sayer wrote:
[...]

Do your research. SDS is a german mnemonic to do with the way the drill
bits are inserted and uninserted., As originally conceived it had no
implications beyond that.

From wikipedia

Special Direct System (SDS)

Developed by Bosch in 1975 for hammer drills, the SDS uses a cylindrical
shank on the tool, with indents to be held by the chuck. A tool is
inserted into the chuck by pressing in, and is locked in place until a
separate lock release is used – no tightening required. The rotary force
is supplied through wedges that fit into two or three open grooves. The
hammer action actually moves the bit up and down within the chuck since
the bit is free to move a short distance. Two sprung balls fit into
closed grooves, allowing movement whilst retaining the bit. SDS relies
on a tool having the same shank diameter as the chuck - there are three
standard sizes:

* SDS-Plus – a 10 mm shank with two open grooves held by the
driving wedges and two closed grooves held by locking balls. This is the
most common size and takes a hammer up to 4 kg. The wedges grip an area
of 75 mm² and the shank is inserted 40 mm into the chuck.[1]
* SDS-top a 14 mm shank similar to SDS-plus, designed for hammers
from 2 to 5 kg. The grip area is increased to 212 mm² and the shank is
inserted 70 mm. This size is not common.[2]
* SDS-max – an 18 mm shank with three open grooves and locking
segments rather than balls. It is designed for hammers over 5 kg. The
wedges grip an area of 389 mm2 and the shank is inserted 90 mm.[3]

Many SDS drills have a "rotation off" setting, which allows the drill to
be used for chiselling. The name SDS comes from the German "Steck – Dreh
– Sitz" (Insert – Twist – Stay). German-speaking countries may use
"Spannen durch System" (Clamping System), though Bosch uses "Special
Direct System" for international purposes.[4]
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Its a hexagonal shank on the drill actually. Strictly.

Do your research. SDS is a german mnemonic to do with the way the drill
bits are inserted and uninserted., As originally conceived it had no
implications beyond that.

From wikipedia

etc

Where was the bit about the hexagonal shank on the drill?

(genuine question)

cheers,
clive

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Sharrock wrote:
Aidan Karley wrote:
In article , Tony sayer wrote:
[...]

From wikipedia

[...]

yeah, yeah, yeah ..... I responded to a question which was quite specific
.... "what is so magical about "SDS"? Is it a high torque system? Or a better
hammer action"
I attempted to respond to the question(s) posed - obviously posed by a
person with no experience of this system.
Now _where_ exactly in your cut'n'pasted extract does it state - as you
wrote - "Its a hexagonal shank on the drill actually. Strictly."
It isn't , you're wrong; what is more you attempted to mislead whether
through malice or ignorance I can't say. [You posting history bears
witness, though]
Now, 'fess up: there are more thing in SDS philosophy ... but none of them
are hexagonal!

--

Brian

--

Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Sharrock wrote:

An SDS 'device' is a combination of 'drill' and 'bits' ... simply; the
'drill' contains two seperate systems; a 'turning' system and a
'thumping' sytem. SNIP The elongated dimple enables
the bit/chisel to move backwards and forwards within the 'chuck'.
when being 'thumped' The turning system rotates the bit.

A decent 'SDS' drill will have three selectable modes; rotate, thump
only and rotate while thumping.

A wonderful description of the system Sir! :-) This should be in the FAQ!

The action is somwhat reminiscent of the ancient 'rawl-drill', thump,
twist, thump, twist ... (until knackered).; but with the efficacy of
electricery generating the thumping action and the rotating action
too.

I had one of those and my SDS reminds me of them. They worked well
considering it was stone age technology.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
.uk...
Brian Sharrock wrote:

An SDS 'device' is a combination of 'drill' and 'bits' ... simply; the
'drill' contains two separate systems; a 'turning' system and a
'thumping' system. SNIP The elongated dimple enables
the bit/chisel to move backwards and forwards within the 'chuck'.
when being 'thumped' The turning system rotates the bit.

A decent 'SDS' drill will have three selectable modes; rotate, thump
only and rotate while thumping.

A wonderful description of the system Sir! :-) This should be in the FAQ!

Ah! Shucks, Dave ... thanks!

The action is somewhat reminiscent of the ancient 'rawl-drill', thump,
twist, thump, twist ... (until knackered).; but with the efficacy of
elecctrickkery generating the thumping action and the rotating action
too.

I had one of those and my SDS reminds me of them. They worked well
considering it was stone age technology.

For some values of 'well'! I had a very senior moment when one of my
grandchildren asked; 'What's that?" whilst observing me rummaging in the
bottom of a 'don't-throw-these-away' box. Yep, the rawl-drill (aka star bit)
with it's end burred over in testimony to holes I'd made in bricks, decades
ago.

--

Brian

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

--

Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Sharrock wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in

A decent 'SDS' drill will have three selectable modes; rotate,
thump only and rotate while thumping.

A wonderful description of the system Sir! :-) This should be in
the FAQ!

Ah! Shucks, Dave ... thanks!

Maybe we should now call them RTB?

Rotate, Thump, Both?

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Sharrock" wrote in message

Aidan Karley wrote:
In article , Tony sayer wrote:
Another "church of the SDS mind" convert :-/

Not that I do enough of this sort of such work to justify £125 on
a drill and bits, but if I were to be looking for such kit from a hire
shop, what is so magical about "SDS"? Is it a high torque system? Or a
better hammer action (ohhh, I remember my first proper hammering.
Left-handed up a ladder too.) ?

Its a hexagonal shank on the drill actually. Strictly.

It's got nothing to do with 'hexagonal shank' at all! - Proof, if proof
were needed, that "The Natural Philosopher" hasn't a clue about what he
chunters of!

Have you only just found that out?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message oup, Aidan
Karley .group writes
In article , Tony sayer wrote:
Another "church of the SDS mind" convert :-/

Not that I do enough of this sort of such work to justify £125
on a drill and bits, but if I were to be looking for such kit from a
hire shop, what is so magical about "SDS"? Is it a high torque system?
Or a better hammer action (ohhh, I remember my first proper hammering.
Left-handed up a ladder too.) ?

Hi Aidan,

Whilst you've had plenty of info in response to your post (some good,
some just off the wall science), no-one seems to have actually explained
it in simple "I'm a diy-er, what will it do for me" terms.

Do you remember the last time you tried your standard hammer drill into
concrete or hard render/bricks? Umpteen melted bits, hours of tedium
just holding the drill and hoping?

Well, SDS basically takes the 'hammer' action of your standard hammer
drill and puts it on a massive dose of steroids. What used to be twenty
minutes hoping and praying that your hammer drill and bit would last out
one more hole is now 5 seconds of not even thinking about it.

With SDS, a 20mm hole through 200mm of brick/stone/concrete? Yeah no
problem, don't even think about a pilot hole, it would just waste time.

As another poster here has said, "just try it". He's quite right. I'd
heard about SDS for years but never thought I actually needed one. I
borrowed one from my neighbour and that was that, I was hooked. I went
and spent £140 on a light but powerful Kress jobby.

All the "roto stop/chisel mode/drill only" are *features* - albeit very
useful ones. If you're unsure, see if you can try one out at your local
tool shop[1] before you go buying one - but trust me, you'll be amazed.

Hth

[1] Quite luckily, my local independent tool shop actively encourages
you to go out the back with any of their display models and try them for
real[2].

[2] Quite unfortunately, my local independent tool shop doesn't sell
arms or women :-)
Someone
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , somebody
writes
In message oup, Aidan
Karley .group writes
In article , Tony sayer wrote:
Another "church of the SDS mind" convert :-/

Not that I do enough of this sort of such work to justify £125
on a drill and bits, but if I were to be looking for such kit from a
hire shop, what is so magical about "SDS"? Is it a high torque system?
Or a better hammer action (ohhh, I remember my first proper hammering.
Left-handed up a ladder too.) ?

Hi Aidan,

Whilst you've had plenty of info in response to your post (some good,
some just off the wall science), no-one seems to have actually explained
it in simple "I'm a diy-er, what will it do for me" terms.

Do you remember the last time you tried your standard hammer drill into
concrete or hard render/bricks? Umpteen melted bits, hours of tedium
just holding the drill and hoping?

Not 'arrff. remember years ago my dad trying to put a hole into his
concrete house for summatt 'r other, only wanted it half inch in
diameter and 4 inches deep and that took a whole weekend.

Did the same a couple of years ago with SDS and put a 3/4 inch one right
through the wall in less than a minute.

These things have to be used to be believed!, believe U me!.....
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Brian Sharrock wrote:
The bits?chisels etc have a _round_ shank, not 'hexagonal', which has
two 'dimples on; the first is a round dimple while the other is a elongated
dimple.

This I had noticed.
The elongated dimple enables the bit/chisel to move backwards and
forwards within the 'chuck'. when being 'thumped' The turning system rotates
the bit.

OK, gotcha.

The action is somwhat reminiscent of the ancient 'rawl-drill', thump, twist,
thump, twist ...

Ah, placing Hilti self-drillers into granite cliffs for the caving club
training ground : full stretch to the left ; 3 hours of hammering ; install
dodgy bolt ; transfer full weight across to new bolt ; reach sideways and start
to drill new bolt. Bloody knackering.

The 'thumping' action is only energised
when pressire is applied to bit/drill combination which assures that the
centre of the hole will be where you position the bit!

Ohhh, sexy!

--
Aidan
Aberdeen, Scotland

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Somebody wrote:
Do you remember the last time you tried your standard hammer drill into
concrete or hard render/bricks? Umpteen melted bits, hours of tedium
just holding the drill and hoping?

Yes.

Well, SDS basically takes the 'hammer' action of your standard hammer
drill and puts it on a massive dose of steroids. What used to be twenty
minutes hoping and praying that your hammer drill and bit would last out
one more hole is now 5 seconds of not even thinking about it.

"hammer on steroids". OK, got where you're coming from.

With SDS, a 20mm hole through 200mm of brick/stone/concrete? Yeah no
problem, don't even think about a pilot hole, it would just waste time.

Ohh, sounds like a job I'd avoid getting involved with if at all
possible. And the wife certainly wouldn't let me get involved with anything
like that.

I went
and spent £140 on a light but powerful Kress jobby.

That would probably rent a beast like that for a couple of months
(including delivery/ collection. Someone else mentioned that there are only
a small number of shank sizes available, so if I found a task that needed
doing, I could confidently invest in the correct size bit and rent a
machine that would fit it.

--
Aidan
Aberdeen, Scotland

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , The Medway
Handyman wrote:
A wonderful description of the system Sir! :-) This should be in the FAQ!

There's a FAQ?

Does it cover questions of central heating system layout and
decipherment ?

--
Aidan
Aberdeen, Scotland

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Tony sayer wrote:
Try one, you'll see

I don't have any jobs in hand that would need one ; I was asking
so that I'd have a chance to identify any future situations where
getting (including renting) an SDS would be worth the effort of walking
to B+Q, searching the shelves, assessing prices, thinking "too much",
walking round to the hire shop ...

--
Aidan
Aberdeen, Scotland

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article oup,
Aidan Karley .group
wrote:
Someone else mentioned that there are only
a small number of shank sizes available,

Since you're likely to be using it for masonry fixings, all the sizes
needed for that are readily available. 5mm is the smallest commonly
available.

--
*Why is the time of day with the slowest traffic called rush hour?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article oup,
Aidan Karley .group
wrote:
I don't have any jobs in hand that would need one ; I was asking
so that I'd have a chance to identify any future situations where
getting (including renting) an SDS would be worth the effort of walking
to B+Q, searching the shelves, assessing prices, thinking "too much",
walking round to the hire shop ...

Since you're from Aberdeen I can think of one likely use - drilling into
granite, which it does with ease. For occasional use a cheap (30 ish quid)
SDS drill is likely to be ok.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Aidan Karley" .group
wrote in message
s.group...
In article , The Medway
Handyman wrote:
A wonderful description of the system Sir! :-) This should be in the
FAQ!

There's a FAQ?

Does it cover questions of central heating system layout and
decipherment ?

The FAQ on CH is about 20 years out of date? What do you want to know?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Aidan Karley" .group
wrote in message
s.group...

Aidan
Aberdeen, Scotland

Aberdeen? You poor *******!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 13:19:57 UTC, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

"Aidan Karley" .group
wrote in message
s.group...
In article , The Medway
Handyman wrote:
A wonderful description of the system Sir! :-) This should be in the
FAQ!

There's a FAQ?

Does it cover questions of central heating system layout and
decipherment ?

The FAQ on CH is about 20 years out of date? What do you want to know?

Aidan

If you're new here, you should be aware that the person currently
calling himself 'Doctor Drivel' is the resident idiot. He knows nothing,
but thinks he knows a lot (and even more about combi boilers).

Others will no doubt give their opinion.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ews.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
The FAQ on CH is about 20 years out of date? What do you want to know?

Has your new Littlewoods catalogue arrived, then?

--
*Honk if you love peace and quiet.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Styles wrote:
I eventually ordered the £99 special deal Bosch SDS drill form Screwfix, and
also went for the £24.99 20 piece SDS drill bit kit that everyone I work
with suggested would be crap. The blow moulded case they came in would
suggest they are crap, but I have just (in the last 10 mins) given the drill
and the bits thier first real challnge.

I needed to drill a 16mm hold through our exterior wall into the kitchen,
which is about 400mm of render, brick and blockwork. It is the same wall
that my last non-SDS bosch drill died while drilling two weekends ago.

Cut a long story short, it took about 45 seconds, applying minimal force to
go all the way through the wall. No messin'

If anyone is looking to buy a new drill and some bits, this combo totally
gets my thumbs up!

I borrowed a green Bosch battery SDS today at work and was very
impressed with it. I would like to get one. The owner said they cost
about £70 from B&Q. Only one battery though.

One thing to remember with SDS drills is when using them on airoblocks,
don't use the hammer action.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Bob Eager
wrote:
If you're new here, you should be aware that the person currently
calling himself 'Doctor Drivel' is the resident idiot.

The only one? Surely not. This would be such a failure of normal
USENET standards.

--
Aidan
Aberdeen, Scotland

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ews.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
The FAQ on CH is about 20 years out of date? What do you want to know?

I asked my question in message
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2006 02:52:16 +0100

--
Aidan
Aberdeen, Scotland

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 13:19:57 UTC, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

"Aidan Karley" .group
wrote in message
s.group...
In article , The
Medway
Handyman wrote:
A wonderful description of the system Sir! :-) This should be in the
FAQ!

There's a FAQ?

Does it cover questions of central heating system layout and
decipherment ?

The FAQ on CH is about 20 years out of date? What do you want to know?

Aidan

If you're new here,

snip drivel

This man is from Essex.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ews.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
The FAQ on CH is about 20 years out of date? What do you want to know?

Has your

Will you please off as you are an idiot.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Weatherlawyer" wrote in message
ups.com...

Bosch battery SDS @ £70. Where?