Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Dimmer Switch

I want to change my rocker light switch to a dimmer switch, I have 3
wires sticking out of the wall but the dimmer switch only has places
for 2 wires, where does the other wire go?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
6 6 is offline

wrote in message
oups.com...
I want to change my rocker light switch to a dimmer switch, I have 3
wires sticking out of the wall but the dimmer switch only has places
for 2 wires, where does the other wire go?

What colours are the wires

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"6" .@. wrote in message ...

wrote in message
oups.com...
I want to change my rocker light switch to a dimmer switch, I have 3
wires sticking out of the wall but the dimmer switch only has places
for 2 wires, where does the other wire go?

What colours are the wires

surely if the wiring is done correctly they will all be red (old colours).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"6" .@. wrote in message ...

wrote in message
oups.com...
I want to change my rocker light switch to a dimmer switch, I have 3
wires sticking out of the wall but the dimmer switch only has places
for 2 wires, where does the other wire go?

What colours are the wires

I presume you are not seeing the earth as one of them?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

6 wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
I want to change my rocker light switch to a dimmer switch, I have 3
wires sticking out of the wall but the dimmer switch only has places
for 2 wires, where does the other wire go?

What colours are the wires

Red, Blue, Yellow

(seperate earth)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I want to change my rocker light switch to a dimmer switch, I have 3
wires sticking out of the wall but the dimmer switch only has places
for 2 wires, where does the other wire go?

Is it a two-way circuit, i.e. can you switch the light on / off from two
different locations ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Colin Wilson wrote:
I want to change my rocker light switch to a dimmer switch, I have 3
wires sticking out of the wall but the dimmer switch only has places
for 2 wires, where does the other wire go?

Is it a two-way circuit, i.e. can you switch the light on / off from two
different locations ?

Yes I can, is that a problem?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
ups.com...

Colin Wilson wrote:
I want to change my rocker light switch to a dimmer switch, I have 3
wires sticking out of the wall but the dimmer switch only has places
for 2 wires, where does the other wire go?

Is it a two-way circuit, i.e. can you switch the light on / off from two
different locations ?

Yes I can, is that a problem?

Try this link:

http://www.diydata.com/planning/twow...wowaylight.htm

But check the other switch to see the colours as well

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Lobster wrote:
Only in that you need a two-way dimmer switch, and it sounds like you
have a one-way one.

Got caught by that one myself down at the electrical shop on
Friday. Have to go back past on the way to work on Monday.

--
Aidan
Aberdeen, Scotland

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

What colours are the wires

Red, Blue, Yellow

Three core and earth then - you have a two way circuit. For this you
need a two way dimmer.

--
Cheers,

John.