Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Oak furniture

Hi all,

Any recommendations for oak furniture suppliers? Looking for some fairly
contemporary (read not frilly) bits of furniture in oak - a bed,
wardrobe etc. Found lots online, but a recommendation would be nice.

TIA

--
Grunff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grunff wrote:

Hi all,

Any recommendations for oak furniture suppliers? Looking for some fairly
contemporary (read not frilly) bits of furniture in oak - a bed,
wardrobe etc. Found lots online, but a recommendation would be nice.

Kit form?

http://tinyurl.com/y5wsty

(always been tempted by one of those - if only I hade the storage space!)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/y5wsty

It's OK if you want to make a fence, but it's hardly furniture widths,
is it ?

You'd also need a Woodmizer or something to resaw them down into
thicknessable boards, then you're looking at jointing up from no more
than 4" wide.

It's a nice deal if you want a lot of small table legs, but not much
use as flats.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Dingley wrote:

John Rumm wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/y5wsty

It's OK if you want to make a fence, but it's hardly furniture widths,
is it ?

They claim that they will try to bias a pack toward the dimensions that
you want... however there is obviously going to be plenty of unusable
stuff.

It's a nice deal if you want a lot of small table legs, but not much
use as flats.

Could be also handy for producing mouldings, edgings etc.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Grunff wrote:
Hi all,

Any recommendations for oak furniture suppliers? Looking for some fairly
contemporary (read not frilly) bits of furniture in oak - a bed,
wardrobe etc. Found lots online, but a recommendation would be nice.

We've just recently taken delivery of a large "farmhouse styley" dining
room table & chairs made from (distressed+reclaimed) French Oak (made
in France). We bought it from John Lewis after many moons of searching
for the right thing. Not sure what else they have in the range though.

Gordon

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Grunff" wrote in message
Hi all,

Any recommendations for oak furniture suppliers? Looking for some fairly
contemporary (read not frilly) bits of furniture in oak - a bed, wardrobe
etc. Found lots online, but a recommendation would be nice.

TIA

--
Grunff

Have a look at Hudson's of York

http://www.hudsonsofyork.com/home.htm

I've never bought anything (we don't buy furniture) but I pass the large
showroom often and they have some very attractive things in the window.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

We bought an oak dining table, chairs and a mirror from these suppliers
http://www.pdglobal.co.uk/. I think you have to go through a retailer
to buy but you can contact them to find a local supplier. Our stuff was
from the cotswold range. It certainly wasn't cheap but is excellent
quality and will hopefully last a very long time.

Hope this helps...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grunff wrote:

Any recommendations for oak furniture suppliers? Looking for some fairly
contemporary (read not frilly) bits of furniture in oak - a bed,
wardrobe etc. Found lots online, but a recommendation would be nice.

Well, for real quality there's always http://www.robertthompsons.co.uk/
- but sit very comfortably before you look at the price lists :~)

--
Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Looking at some of the other posts I know that I could get you handmade
furniture to your design for much less that you would pay for mass
manufactured. I dont personally make it as I only do handmade kitchens,
but I do often buy from another local cabinet maker who is geared uo
for this sort of thing. As an example, a 5ft wide dresser would be in
the region of £2.5k. You can get very nice furniture a lot cheaper,
but if you r considering some of the other replies the please consider
this too. Give me a call is you want.
Calum Sabey (Newark Traditional Kitchens 01556 690544)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Wade" wrote in message
Grunff wrote:

Any recommendations for oak furniture suppliers? Looking for some fairly
contemporary (read not frilly) bits of furniture in oak - a bed, wardrobe
etc. Found lots online, but a recommendation would be nice.

Well, for real quality there's always http://www.robertthompsons.co.uk/ -
but sit very comfortably before you look at the price lists :~)

A cabinet-maker son in law makes bespoke furniture for less than Mousie but
with the same very high quality.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Grunff" wrote in message
Hi all,

Any recommendations for oak furniture suppliers? Looking for some fairly
contemporary (read not frilly) bits of furniture in oak - a bed, wardrobe
etc. Found lots online, but a recommendation would be nice.

TIA

--
Grunff

Just bought new table, chairs and dresser from he

http://www.gatewayantiques.co.uk/

I'd highly recommend them.

Chris