Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Joist pitch and floorboard

I'm about to put some new joist in my loft (onto the wallplates, parallel
and between the trusses) so I can have a proper floor that I can put proper
weight on.

The joist section I choose depends on the pitch, and I guess the pitch will
depend on the floorboards. Loft boarding chipboard from B&Q seems to require
support on a 450mm, but then it does seem quite cheap and nasty.

The green floorboarding stuff that the devlopers used seems to be of higher
quality, but I dont want to pull up my carpet just to figure what pitch the
joists they used are one.

So, doesn anyone know what the normal spec fo rthe green particle board
flooring is, and if i'd be able to use it on 600mm pitch joists?

Cheers
Chris

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Styles wrote:

So, doesn anyone know what the normal spec fo rthe green particle board
flooring is, and if i'd be able to use it on 600mm pitch joists?

"normal" for a floor would be 400mm c/c these days.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Styles wrote:
I'm about to put some new joist in my loft (onto the wallplates,
parallel and between the trusses) so I can have a proper floor that I
can put proper weight on.

The joist section I choose depends on the pitch, and I guess the
pitch will depend on the floorboards. Loft boarding chipboard from
B&Q seems to require support on a 450mm, but then it does seem quite
cheap and nasty.
The green floorboarding stuff that the devlopers used seems to be of
higher quality, but I dont want to pull up my carpet just to figure
what pitch the joists they used are one.

So, doesn anyone know what the normal spec fo rthe green particle
board flooring is, and if i'd be able to use it on 600mm pitch joists?

Cheers
Chris

600mm is too far apart for almost every flooring material, they need 400mm
max for floorboards.

And 'pitch' isn't the word you are looking for, it's 'centres' - pitch
refers to the degree of slope on roof timbers etc.