Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default polycell basecoat

spent ages getting my plastered ceiling as flat as possible.
but after my first coat of paint i could slighty notice some parts
where i had filled and sanded.
decided to invest in polycell basecoat after reading good things on
here.
put it on with my cheap short nap roller and when dried the finish is
all bumpy ( people seem to refer to it as an orange peel effect ).
as i wanted a flat finish after all. i dont really rate this product.
ever so slighty got rid of the flaws in the patch work but left the
ceiling with a crappy finish.
i gave it a quick sand and bought another roller, better quality this
time said smooth finish on the packaging and was a very nice feel to
it, like a towel. anyways. gave it a second coat with the nasty stuff
hopeing it was the cheap roller that gave it that bumpy finsh. same
effect.
im thinking of really going to work on it tomorrow with a sander
gettting the high spots off then painting with my top coat. hopeing for
a fairly flat finish.

will my top coat dry with that orange peel look even after sanding down
this polycell stuff?

should i use a paint pad to apply the top coat? or just a plain old
prush?

any advice would be geat. im just glad i havent used this stuff on any
of my walls yet.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

steve wrote:
[...]

Try not to go down the route of blaming tools and materials.

A good plaster finish will provide the best background for almost any
half decent paint and a short pile roller. It takes a lot of practice
to get a good plaster finish and with that, almost anyone can apply a
coat of paint that will look great... believe me, I've been that
soldier and the surfaces I have plastered and painted myself don't look
anywhere near as good as the surfaces I have had professionally
plastered then painted myself!

Preparation, preparation and preparation.

d.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

deano wrote:
steve wrote:
[...]

More importantly, know your limitations!

route 1:
attempt to plaster cieling, realise half way through that you can't get it
right and say to yourself, 'f**kit, it'll do'.
next day realise that it looks like a ploughed field and buy umpteen buckets
of filler and apply.
Get half way through and say 'f**kit' again.
next day sand down until your arms are dropping off.
next day buy some 'miracle ceiling paint' and apply.
next day realise that it now looks like corrugated carboard painted white.
Eventually buy woodchip, apply and emulsion.

COST = Filler £25, MCP, £25, woodchip and emulsion £25, wasted time 25
hours+ 1 bad neck.

route 2.
phone plasterer out of local rag, he arranges to do it next day for £100
next day, drink 2 cans of lager while watching TV
2 days later give it 2 coats of white emulsion, admire glass like finish.

COST = £100 plasterer, £15 emulsion, £2 lager, time spent; 2 hours.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil L wrote:
deano wrote:
steve wrote:
[...]

Plasterer coming at W/E to price the extension, I know my limits and
they end way before two entire rooms of sand/cement & Pink & 2
ceilings. I'd love to have a bash at it sometime though :-)
Might do one of the night courses just for a looksee :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

think your both missing my point.
the job on my ceiling was decent enough, just needed a little filler in
places.
first coat went up and looked smooth, just a few places where i filled
were noticeable.
then instead of just giving it another coat of paint i went for the
option of this polcell basecoat which made the ceiling a orange peel
effect.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

steve wrote:
think your both missing my point.
the job on my ceiling was decent enough, just needed a little filler
in places.
first coat went up and looked smooth, just a few places where i filled
were noticeable.
then instead of just giving it another coat of paint i went for the
option of this polcell basecoat which made the ceiling a orange peel
effect.

Wasn't getting at you Steve, just an observation in general, my bricklaying
skills are not dissimilar to those of a four year old and I've been in the
building industry for over 25 years! (it doewsn't stop me trying though
:-p )

I think your problem is the polycell basecoat and not the roller, am i right
in thinking that it's very thick? - and like glue?
IIRC it's a flexible filler/paint for use on old plaster, to hide
imperfections and form a flexible skin over cracks etc- what you should have
used was normal emulsion, thinned down so that it soaks in.

You /could/ try scraping the basecoat off (if it's flexible, it might come
off in decent sized strips), other than that it may take a lot of sanding
down, or several more coats of paint to fill any minor imperfections in the
suface of the basecoat.