Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default CAT 5 ... T568A or T568B

I had flood wired the house with CAT 5e, and now need to terminate all
faceplates.

I can use T568A or T568B .......... Googling & searching UK.d-i-y
seems to bring up different answers.
When we are talking about the faceplates ... for UK would it be best to
wire them, to T568B standard? i.e.
T586B
1 wh/orange
2 orange
3 wh/green
4 blue
5 /wh/blue
6 green
7 wh/brown
8 brown

However on several times on this group it recommends the article at :
http://www.ablecables.com.au/568avb.htm

which states ....
" All new installations should be carried out using the 568A standard
and cables only to be terminated to 568B specification on existing 568B
systems."

and

" ISO says, "There is no reason to change existing 568B installations
to 568A although all new installations should be implemented with
568A."

This seems to contradict the many posters of this group who say to wire
out in T568B

So which should I use ???

Secondly if I use for example T568B at outlets, do I use same colour
scheme at patch panel ends ... there were comments made that if you
wire to T568B then you only need straight through patch cables not
crossover ... but again this is often negated in other comments.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-09-30 12:26:27 +0100, "Osprey" said:

[...]

I think that the best indicator is product availability. There seem
to be a lot more items around for 568B than 568A.

Certainly one should stick to everything of one part of the standard
and not mix them.

Also recommended if you don't have one is a CAT5 continuity tester.
Unless you are going to go for Fluke TDMs or something like that, these
are very cost effective. There is a sequencer unit for one end with
a battery and a box with 4 LEDs on the other. Plug them in using
patch cables and the LEDs should light in sequence and the same colour.
This will detect that all pairs are connected, to the right places
and the correct way round. For about £20, it's a great time saver.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Osprey wrote:

[snip]

So which should I use ???

Personally I have always used 568B, and have never seen 568A in the
commercial installs I've needed to look at. It really doesn't matter
though - they both do exactly the same thing.

Secondly if I use for example T568B at outlets, do I use same colour
scheme at patch panel ends ... there were comments made that if you
wire to T568B then you only need straight through patch cables not
crossover ... but again this is often negated in other comments.

A crossover cable is a patch lead terminated in 568A at one end and
568B at the other. You MUST use the same at both ends of your
structured wiring otherwise the structured wiring itself becomes a
crossover cable. A lot of the consumer grade networking kit (like
Netgear) does auto crossover so you might not notice a problem straight
away. But if you try running some other system like a Digital PBX or
Video over the Cat5 you will end up confused by the results! If you
look at an office patch panel the only crossovers you will find are
between the network switches. All the PC to wall plate leads, and the
leads from the network switch to the patch panel, will be straight
cables.

To get a reliable connection you should untwist the least amount of
wire at each end and get a proper spring loaded krone tool to do the
job, and if you have a lot of sockets to terminate then it's worth
getting one of the cheep (£20 ish) Cat5 testers too. I've wasted a lot
of time in the past cutting off ends and reterminating them when a
tester would have shown up the dodgy pair in seconds.

--
Gareth Davis

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 30 Sep 2006 13:12:20 +0100, Andy Hall wrote:

I think that the best indicator is product availability. There seem
to be a lot more items around for 568B than 568A.

Certainly one should stick to everything of one part of the standard
and not mix them.

Not mixing the two is a good idea, confusion will come by the bucket full
if you do.

AFAICT the only difference is which colour pair is connected to which
pins. The designation of pins and functions is the same for both.
Electrons don't care a fig about insulator colour...

There *might* be an issue with the relationship of pair positions within
the cable but I've never seen any reference to that or indeed if there is
a laid down position for each pair in a cable.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:

or colour...

There *might* be an issue with the relationship of pair positions
within the cable but I've never seen any reference to that or indeed
if there is a laid down position for each pair in a cable.

Yes there is a relationship.
Its covered by the cat5 / cat6 standards which specify things that cable
twists, etc. effect.

I used 568b everywhere except crossovers which have 568a at one end.
Now I use 568b everywhere and fit a cross over adapter when I need one.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Hall wrote:

I think that the best indicator is product availability. There seem to
be a lot more items around for 568B than 568A.

I did some network wiring recently and the connectors (from TLC) came
marked with both colour codes. I used 568A because that's what's
recommended he
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EIA/TIA...i/EIA/TIA-568A

--
Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Osprey" wrote in message
ups.com...
I had flood wired the house with CAT 5e, and now need to terminate all
faceplates.

I can use T568A or T568B .......... Googling & searching UK.d-i-y
seems to bring up different answers.

It doesn't matter, so long as you do the same at each end.
Both use the correct twisted pair arrangment :

Pins 1+2 are a pair, and pins 3+6 are a pair.

Personally, I use the 'B' standard, and just about every installation and
patch cable I've looked at has used 'B' also.

Be aware that if you wire one end 'A' and the other end 'B' you have just
made a crossover cable!

--
Ron

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Secondly if I use for example T568B at outlets, do I use same colour
scheme at patch panel ends ... there were comments made that if you
wire to T568B then you only need straight through patch cables not

For about £20, it's a great time saver.

Any link for this ? .... sounds like I ought to buy one.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-09-30 22:23:04 +0100, "Osprey" said:

Secondly if I use for example T568B at outlets, do I use same colour
scheme at patch panel ends ... there were comments made that if you
wire to T568B then you only need straight through patch cables not

For about £20, it's a great time saver.

Any link for this ? .... sounds like I ought to buy one.

Typing CAT 5 tester into Google brings up a load - e.g.

http://www.cybermarket.co.uk/ishop/923/shopscr4328.html

is typical of what I had in mind.

Another essential investment is a proper Krone (or equivalent) punch
down tool.

Plastic ones and screwdrivers are definitely verboten.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 30 Sep 2006 14:45:25 GMT, dennis@home wrote:

There *might* be an issue with the relationship of pair positions
within the cable but I've never seen any reference to that or indeed
if there is a laid down position for each pair in a cable.

Yes there is a relationship.
Its covered by the cat5 / cat6 standards which specify things that
cable twists, etc. effect.

Have you a reference? The only thing I can find is all about the
termination not the actual core/pair layout within the cable.

I have found references that say 568A and B are technically identical so
presumably the relative pair positions within the cable are not actually
important.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.com...
On Sat, 30 Sep 2006 14:45:25 GMT, dennis@home wrote:

There *might* be an issue with the relationship of pair positions
within the cable but I've never seen any reference to that or indeed
if there is a laid down position for each pair in a cable.

Yes there is a relationship.
Its covered by the cat5 / cat6 standards which specify things that
cable twists, etc. effect.

Have you a reference? The only thing I can find is all about the
termination not the actual core/pair layout within the cable.

Its probably on here somewhere http://www.tiaonline.org/
The 568a/b standard defines the cable charachteristics but many people only
see the pinout parts of the spec.
wikipedia has`some info.

I have found references that say 568A and B are technically identical so
presumably the relative pair positions within the cable are not actually
important.

The four pairs are wound at different rates to reduce cross talk so there
are differences in the pairs.
The nominal impedance is the same though.