Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Nailing into red brick

Posted this before but it hasn't appeared!

I am trying to nail the conduit over the cables on the old outer leaf
(new extension inner leaf) which is 40 yr old red brick, Masonary nails
are bending like galv clout heads !.

the only solution I can think of is to drill and screw them, pain in
the arse !!

any other ideas?

ta

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Staffbull wrote:
Posted this before but it hasn't appeared!

I am trying to nail the conduit over the cables on the old outer leaf
(new extension inner leaf) which is 40 yr old red brick, Masonary nails
are bending like galv clout heads !.

Don't quite understand the outer leaf /inner leaf thing; but the answer
is surely to nail into the mortar.

Are you really nailing conduit, or is it capping? This is
pre-plastering, right? IME oval conduit doesn't need much fixing in
place at all.

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Staffbull pretended :
Posted this before but it hasn't appeared!

I am trying to nail the conduit over the cables on the old outer leaf
(new extension inner leaf) which is 40 yr old red brick, Masonary nails
are bending like galv clout heads !.

the only solution I can think of is to drill and screw them, pain in
the arse !!

Either nail into the mortar or drill holes, make wooden plugs and nail
into those.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Staffbull" wrote in message
oups.com...
Posted this before but it hasn't appeared!

I am trying to nail the conduit over the cables on the old outer leaf
(new extension inner leaf) which is 40 yr old red brick, Masonary nails
are bending like galv clout heads !.

the only solution I can think of is to drill and screw them, pain in
the arse !!

any other ideas?

ta

You can get "nail" wall plugs (thorsman?)
and IIRC nails for plastic capping that have "fitted washers" to create a
panel pin with a large head - (made by the company that pack cable clips in
yellow boxes?) - quick search
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...ils/index.html
peterk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Staffbull wrote:
Posted this before but it hasn't appeared!

I am trying to nail the conduit over the cables on the old outer leaf
(new extension inner leaf) which is 40 yr old red brick, Masonary nails
are bending like galv clout heads !.

the only solution I can think of is to drill and screw them, pain in
the arse !!

any other ideas?

ta

PU glue would probbaly work if they'll sit in the right position wile
it dries. A quicjk wipe with sandpaper first helps it stick properly.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Staffbull wrote:

Sorry its capping!

I'm glad you said that. The idea of trying to fix conduit using nails
made me shudder.

Are you using proper capping nails (like these
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/SCNAIL.html) and driving them into
the mortar?

--
Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Wade wrote:
Staffbull wrote:

Sorry its capping!

I'm glad you said that. The idea of trying to fix conduit using nails
made me shudder.

Are you using proper capping nails (like these
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/SCNAIL.html) and driving them into
the mortar?

--
Andy

yep they are capping naiis but it's hit and mis to find the mortar as
there is still the first skim on the wall (outside render coat hacked
off)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Staffbull wrote:

Sorry its capping!

yep they are capping naiis but it's hit and mis to find the mortar as
there is still the first skim on the wall (outside render coat hacked
off)

As youre plastering over it, why not use tape / PU glue / sticky pads.
It only has to stay there till it gets plastered, nothing good and
solid required.

NT