Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Laptop AC adaptor

Does a laptop mains adaptor have a thermal cutout inside it?

It's a Toshiba PA3201U for a Satellite 2410 if it matters. Last night I
noticed the laptop was showing that it was running on the battery while it
was plugged in to the mains. I tested it and found 240v going in to the
adaptor but nothing coming out. A bit later, when the adaptor was cold, I
plugged it back into the laptop and it was working again.

Now it's done the same - been running off the adaptor all morning but now
running on the battery and no output from the adaptor.

I reckon it's on its way out so I've ordered a new one anyway but I'd be
interested to know why it's doing it.

Si

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I reckon it's on its way out so I've ordered a new one anyway but I'd be
interested to know why it's doing it.

It's a definite possibility that there is an auto-reset thermal fuse but I
don't specifically know if Toshiba adapters have them installed. It could
also be an intermittent bad connection.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot wrote:
Does a laptop mains adaptor have a thermal cutout inside it?

It's a Toshiba PA3201U for a Satellite 2410 if it matters. Last night I
noticed the laptop was showing that it was running on the battery while it
was plugged in to the mains. I tested it and found 240v going in to the
adaptor but nothing coming out. A bit later, when the adaptor was cold, I
plugged it back into the laptop and it was working again.

Now it's done the same - been running off the adaptor all morning but now
running on the battery and no output from the adaptor.

I reckon it's on its way out so I've ordered a new one anyway but I'd be
interested to know why it's doing it.

Si

Thermal cutout in the wall wart.

Get a replacement (under warranty) if you can.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Christian McArdle wrote:
I reckon it's on its way out so I've ordered a new one anyway but
I'd be interested to know why it's doing it.

It's a definite possibility that there is an auto-reset thermal fuse
but I don't specifically know if Toshiba adapters have them
installed. It could also be an intermittent bad connection.

Give that man a medal!

I did a proper test on the adaptor and I've found that the plug which goes
into the laptop must have a break in one of the conductors in the flexible
part of the plug.

Snippage, solderage and insultage (with insulting tape, of course) will be
done later.

Si

Posted to uk.d-i-y
nog nog is offline

On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 15:15:46 +0100, Ben Micklem wrote:

------------------------------8
In my experience, laptop power supplies only get really, really hot when
charging a low battery. If yours is getting very hot without the battery
needing charging, then I would be worried.

You should fondle the psu for my Vaio - it's always hot. Not unique to a
single unit as I have two, and both run hot (i.e. too hot for prolonged
hand contact).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Ben Micklem wrote:
Does a laptop mains adaptor have a thermal cutout inside it?

Almost certainly, as there have been problems with combusting adapters
requiring recalls, etc. in the past.

But likely to be some sort of fuse, rather than an auto resetting device?

--
*Marathon runners with bad footwear suffer the agony of defeat*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot wrote:
Does a laptop mains adaptor have a thermal cutout inside it?

It's a Toshiba PA3201U for a Satellite 2410 if it matters. Last night I
noticed the laptop was showing that it was running on the battery while it
was plugged in to the mains. I tested it and found 240v going in to the
adaptor but nothing coming out. A bit later, when the adaptor was cold, I
plugged it back into the laptop and it was working again.

Now it's done the same - been running off the adaptor all morning but now
running on the battery and no output from the adaptor.

I reckon it's on its way out so I've ordered a new one anyway but I'd be
interested to know why it's doing it.

Si

Quite likely to shut down in case of overheat. Such features are
necessary when the adaptor might be unable to cool itself enough, eg
sitting on carpet etc. Time will tell, but the new one may prove to be
no different.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot wrote:
Does a laptop mains adaptor have a thermal cutout inside it?

It's a Toshiba PA3201U for a Satellite 2410 if it matters. Last night I
noticed the laptop was showing that it was running on the battery while it
was plugged in to the mains. I tested it and found 240v going in to the
adaptor but nothing coming out. A bit later, when the adaptor was cold, I
plugged it back into the laptop and it was working again.

Now it's done the same - been running off the adaptor all morning but now
running on the battery and no output from the adaptor.

I reckon it's on its way out so I've ordered a new one anyway but I'd be
interested to know why it's doing it.

Si

I would imagine that it would have a thermal cutout for saftey in its
design as its an enclosed PSU.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "Mungo \"Two Sheds\"
Toadfoot" writes
Christian McArdle wrote:
I reckon it's on its way out so I've ordered a new one anyway but
I'd be interested to know why it's doing it.

It's a definite possibility that there is an auto-reset thermal fuse
but I don't specifically know if Toshiba adapters have them
installed. It could also be an intermittent bad connection.

Give that man a medal!

I did a proper test on the adaptor and I've found that the plug which goes
into the laptop must have a break in one of the conductors in the flexible
part of the plug.

Snippage, solderage and insultage (with insulting tape, of course) will be
done later.

Si

I know of a number of Tosh adapters that have died with intermittent
DC-side wires. Including mine the broke the inner core right at the end
of the strain relief. Cut the whole thing open, repaired and glued back
together.

--
steve
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot wrote:
Does a laptop mains adaptor have a thermal cutout inside it?

It's a Toshiba PA3201U for a Satellite 2410 if it matters. Last night I
noticed the laptop was showing that it was running on the battery while it
was plugged in to the mains. I tested it and found 240v going in to the
adaptor but nothing coming out. A bit later, when the adaptor was cold, I
plugged it back into the laptop and it was working again.

Now it's done the same - been running off the adaptor all morning but now
running on the battery and no output from the adaptor.

I reckon it's on its way out so I've ordered a new one anyway but I'd be
interested to know why it's doing it.

My PA3380U overheats when left on the sofa (or on the bed duvet) and
cuts out when very, very hot.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot 写�:

Does a laptop mains adaptor have a thermal cutout inside it?

It's a Toshiba PA3201U for a Satellite 2410 if it matters. Last night I
noticed the laptop was showing that it was running on the battery while it
was plugged in to the mains. I tested it and found 240v going in to the

The input volts of the adapter is AC 100V-240V

AC/AC Adaptor suppliers Durn UK diy 24 December 12th 17 09:21 AM
Can't charge my laptop battery Greg L. Electronics Repair 3 September 5th 06 09:39 PM
How can I fix a dead laptop? Paul M Electronics Repair 20 January 10th 06 02:42 AM
MiTAC 3026E Laptop Can't make it on Thaqalain Electronics Repair 23 September 13th 05 12:10 AM
Laptop won't turn on Peter Allen Electronics Repair 15 December 8th 04 04:39 PM