Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Do I need to fit a Bylaw 30 Kit?

How can I tell if I've got the correct Bylaw 30 fittings on the cold
water tank that I recently had fitted in my loft? (It's a new 50
gallon plastic coffin style tank).

I saw 'Bylaw 30' kits in a couple of stores (eg Wickes, B&Q) over the
weekend. However when I looked at my tank yesterday I couldn't really
see the kind of fittings that were in the kits. I'm not sure if this
is because new tanks all come fitted with the fittings - or if it's
something that may have been skimped on.

Regards,

Michael

Posted to uk.d-i-y
PM PM is offline

wrote in message
oups.com...
How can I tell if I've got the correct Bylaw 30 fittings on the cold
water tank that I recently had fitted in my loft? (It's a new 50
gallon plastic coffin style tank).

I saw 'Bylaw 30' kits in a couple of stores (eg Wickes, B&Q) over the
weekend. However when I looked at my tank yesterday I couldn't really
see the kind of fittings that were in the kits. I'm not sure if this
is because new tanks all come fitted with the fittings - or if it's
something that may have been skimped on.

ISTR that Bylaw 30 calls for:
Tight fitting lid that doesn't let light in
Insulation jacket
Insect screen in overflow (the overflow should have an unscrewable cap on an
elbow for inspection & cleaning of the screen)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Hall wrote:
You do need one.

Take a look on the tank for the vent etc.

Thanks for the replies - what's the vent that I should check for and is
there anything else? (I've tried googling & didn't get very far)

(I've got the lid & insulating jacket, mentioned in the other response,
& I'll check on the insect screen on the overflow)

Regards,

Michael

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 09:40:05 +0100, PM wrote:

Tight fitting lid that doesn't let light in

And gromits for the holes that vent pipes to pass through.

Insect screen in overflow (the overflow should have an unscrewable cap
on an elbow for inspection & cleaning of the screen)

I think they also need a dip tube in the tank now.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
oups.com...
How can I tell if I've got the correct Bylaw 30 fittings on the cold
water tank that I recently had fitted in my loft? (It's a new 50
gallon plastic coffin style tank).

I saw 'Bylaw 30' kits in a couple of stores (eg Wickes, B&Q) over the
weekend. However when I looked at my tank yesterday I couldn't really
see the kind of fittings that were in the kits. I'm not sure if this
is because new tanks all come fitted with the fittings - or if it's
something that may have been skimped on.

It should really be called a Water Supply (Water Fittings) Regulations 1999,
Schedule 2, Paragraph 16 kit these days, as that Regulation replaced the
water byelaws from 1st July 1999, but Byelaw 30 is a bit shorter. The
requirements a

-----------------

(1) Every pipe supplying water connected to a storage cistern shall be
fitted with an effective adjustable valve capable of shutting off the inflow
of water at a suitable level below the overflowing level of the cistern.

(2) Every inlet to a storage cistern, combined feed and expansion cistern,
WC flushing cistern or urinal flushing cistern shall be fitted with a
servicing value on the inlet pipe adjacent to the cistern.

(3) Every storage cistern, except one supplying water to the primary circuit
of a heating system, shall be fitted with a servicing valve on the outlet
pipe.

(4) Every storage cistern shall be fitted with-

(a) an overflow pipe, with a suitable means of warning of an impending
overflow, which excludes insects;

(b) a cover positioned so as to exclude light and insects; and

(c) thermal insulation to minimize freezing or undue warming.

(5) Every storage cistern shall be so installed as to minimize the risk of
contamination of stored water. The cistern shall be of an appropriate size,
and the pipe connections to the cistern shall be so positioned, as to allow
free circulation and to prevent areas of stagnant water from developing.

-----------------

Generally, a Byelaw 30(2) kit covers the bits in paragraph (4) above, in
other words, a close fitting lid, an insulation jacket, an insect screen on
the warning / overflow pipe(s) (on domestic installations warning pipe and
overflow are usually combined), a screened air inlet and a close fitting
connection for any expansion pipe that enters through the lid. The warning
pipe screen ought to be within 1 metre of the cistern - on new domestic
installations it is usually where the pipe leaves the cistern and is
combined with the tank connector / dip pipe. It must be possible to gain
access to the screen for servicing and the area of the screen must be at
least 2.5 times the cross-sectional area of the pipe so it should be fairly
obvious. The current recommendation is also for the warning pipe to be at
least 1" plastic (or steel) or 28mm copper, although most plumbers still use
3/4" / 22mm.

Colin Bignell

Norscreen Filters Ltd

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks for that. It's pretty clear that the plumber didn't install
most of the things needed, so I'm going to need to get a kit and fit
the bits & pieces.

Michael

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
oups.com...

Thanks for that. It's pretty clear that the plumber didn't install
most of the things needed, so I'm going to need to get a kit and fit
the bits & pieces.

Would you like me to email you at the above address, with details of the kit
I do for the warning pipe screen, the expansion pipe entry and the screened
air inlet?

Colin Bignell
Norscreen Filters Ltd