Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Top Tip #xxx.1

The best tool for cutting expanded polystyrene, expanded polythene
(climatherm), expanded PU, etc is a Bread Knife. Add one to your tool box,
the Mrs needs a new one anyway.

--
Mike W

Posted to uk.d-i-y

VisionSet wrote:
The best tool for cutting expanded polystyrene, expanded polythene
(climatherm), expanded PU, etc is a Bread Knife. Add one to your tool
box, the Mrs needs a new one anyway.

Are you sure? I always thought a piece of 30amp fuse wire and a 12v battery
attached at both ends was.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote in message
k...
VisionSet wrote:
The best tool for cutting expanded polystyrene, expanded polythene
(climatherm), expanded PU, etc is a Bread Knife. Add one to your tool
box, the Mrs needs a new one anyway.

Are you sure? I always thought a piece of 30amp fuse wire and a 12v

battery
attached at both ends was.

Devils job sliding that the other side of the coving to get it down.
The knife is a compromise between less friction of the wobbly saw and at
least some degree of trueness in the cut.
Also your solution is a bit of a faff.

--
Mike W

Posted to uk.d-i-y

VisionSet wrote:
The best tool for cutting expanded polystyrene, expanded polythene
(climatherm), expanded PU, etc is a Bread Knife. Add one to your tool box,
the Mrs needs a new one anyway.

Actually steak knifes are better - finer serrations.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
VisionSet wrote:
The best tool for cutting expanded polystyrene, expanded polythene
(climatherm), expanded PU, etc is a Bread Knife. Add one to your tool box,
the Mrs needs a new one anyway.

Actually steak knifes are better - finer serrations.

Depends on the bread knife. Our Kitchen devil has course serrations on
one edge and fine on the other.

It's also perfect for cutting the fibre boards used as underlay for
laminate flooring. Actually, I use them as track bed for the model
railway but that's another story.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

VisionSet wrote:
The best tool for cutting expanded polystyrene, expanded polythene
(climatherm), expanded PU, etc is a Bread Knife. Add one to your tool

box,
the Mrs needs a new one anyway.

Actually steak knifes are better - finer serrations.

It was the long wavey serations I was after - perfect for climatherm, I want
to cut it, not saw it and a stanley knife does not invite trueness nor has
sufficient depth.

--
Mike W

Posted to uk.d-i-y

VisionSet wrote:
The best tool for cutting expanded polystyrene, expanded polythene
(climatherm), expanded PU, etc is a Bread Knife.

Yes I recently insulated a room at home using Kingspan, trimmed to fit
twixt the rafters using exactly such a tool.

And I have the scars to prove it, too...

David