Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default block built workshop

I intend to build a 7 x 3m workshop out of single skin (4in) concrete
blocks. I have 2 questions:

1. Will a stand raft foundation (about 4in) suffice, or do I need a
strip foundation?

2. Will I need to provide piers at intervals, if so at what distance?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

You will have to comply with building regs for a permanent structure such as
you describe so take advice from your planner or building control office,and
you will probably need planning as well.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Alex" wrote in message

You will have to comply with building regs for a permanent structure such as
you describe so take advice from your planner or building control office,and
you will probably need planning as well.

Not if its under 30m2 and constructed of substantially non-combustible
material

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Lawrence Zarb" wrote in message
news:0c0ca9502c76be01625d2574e4f954f9.52329@mygate .mailgate.org...
I intend to build a 7 x 3m workshop out of single skin (4in) concrete
blocks. I have 2 questions:

1. Will a stand raft foundation (about 4in) suffice, or do I need a
strip foundation?

2. Will I need to provide piers at intervals, if so at what distance?

it all depends on the ground.

Where I am, I would dig just over a foot down till I hit the solid stuff
that I know from experience is down there, put in a spade wide strip
foundation, compact rubble in the middle and oversite over the rest and
build on that.

most places if you put a raft down it will crack, but your location will
decide that, at the very least it would need a compacted rubble filled base,
6 inches of concrete with metal grid stuff properly supported in it.

mrcheerful

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lawrence Zarb wrote:

I intend to build a 7 x 3m workshop out of single skin (4in) concrete
blocks. I have 2 questions:

1. Will a stand raft foundation (about 4in) suffice, or do I need a
strip foundation?

2. Will I need to provide piers at intervals, if so at what distance?

A 7m long 4" wall will need piers for stability.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ok!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Surely the roof rafters will provide the support!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Lawrence Zarb" wrote in message
news:f9e81a492d227fb814f043b45a931cfe.52329@mygate .mailgate.org...
Surely the roof rafters will provide the support!

That was a helpful reply. But what was it a reply to? I suppose it's
one way of ensuring no-one disagrees.

--
Kevin Poole
**Use current month and year to reply (e.g. )***

Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence Zarb
Surely the roof rafters will provide the support!

No. The wall will fail by bending parallel to the bed joints. Very dangerous to build a 4 inch wall 2.5-3m high and 7m long without any piers. The slightest gust of wind (let alone eccentricities in building) will have the wall over in no time.