Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default And who's eaten the screws ?

Much cursing and banging by SWMBO dragged me across the kitchen so see
her trying to force the grill pan into the top of the oven - " won't go
in, damn thing !!"

The logic of "it went in before, and because it is not going in now
means something is wrong" does not compute in the female brain in my
opinion ( and experience).

The reason for it not going in was that the grill heating element in
the top of the oven had become detached and dropped down - easy to see.

What is curious is that the oven heat cycling plus I suppose aa bit of
vibration from the fan had loosened off the 2 supporting screws to the
point they had dropped out. But where had they gone - they have never
been seen and no one has had roasted screw/washer in their sunday joint
or sticky toffee pudding. Odd !!

Repaired from the odd screws jar from the workshop.

Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The logic of "it went in before, and because it is not going in now
means something is wrong" does not compute in the female brain in my
opinion ( and experience).

My wife is very much of the "don't force it, use a bigger hammer"
school of engineering when it comes to domestic appliances :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dcbwhaley wrote:
The logic of "it went in before, and because it is not going in now
means something is wrong" does not compute in the female brain in my
opinion ( and experience).

My wife is very much of the "don't force it, use a bigger hammer"
school of engineering when it comes to domestic appliances :-)

no mechanical sympathy....a lot drive the same way too.....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

MMmmmmmmmmmm. Maintenance bloke at one of my client's sites is of that
ilk. I have fitted a sign over his workshop door stating...'Head of
Percussive Maintenance'. His answer to everything is ...hit it, hit it
harder, hit it harder still and then run away and hide until someone
else fixes it

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Grumpy owd man" wrote in message
news:08580afc62123eedf81b6b4fb1b5b99f.115311@mygat e.mailgate.org...
MMmmmmmmmmmm. Maintenance bloke at one of my client's sites is of that
ilk. I have fitted a sign over his workshop door stating...'Head of
Percussive Maintenance'. His answer to everything is ...hit it, hit it
harder, hit it harder still and then run away and hide until someone
else fixes it

I'll bet she wrecks drawers if they get sticky. Does she also turn off taps
too hard if they drip - or does she request you to fit a new washer?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
badger.badger wrote:

no mechanical sympathy....a lot drive the same way too.....

Slamming doors on appliances is my pet irritation.
The oven, fridge, and tumble drier doors are all
expected to close with a high velocity push. The
w/machine door is knee'd to close it and the button
hammered to release.

--
Tony Williams.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tony Williams wrote:
In article ,
badger.badger wrote:

no mechanical sympathy....a lot drive the same way too.....

Slamming doors on appliances is my pet irritation.
The oven, fridge, and tumble drier doors are all
expected to close with a high velocity push. The
w/machine door is knee'd to close it and the button
hammered to release.

My fave is the total disregard for the consequences of LOTS of water
being splashed over the countertop around the sink and down the cabinets
when doing *anything* that involves the kitchen tap!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Cuprager wrote:

My fave is the total disregard for the consequences of LOTS of
water being splashed over the countertop around the sink and
down the cabinets when doing *anything* that involves the
kitchen tap!

Hah! Only last week I had to sort out why a particular
section of the kitchen floor had gone springy/saggy.

The floor is cork tiles and I thought they had been laid
onto the hardwood floorboards, like the rest of the house.

Scraped off a few tiles and found crumbling 19mm chipboard
underneath.

--
Tony Williams.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from Cuprager contains these words:

My fave is the total disregard for the consequences of LOTS of water
being splashed over the countertop around the sink and down the cabinets
when doing *anything* that involves the kitchen tap!

Ah, three year olds - who'd have 'em?

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Guy King" wrote in message

Ah, three year olds - who'd have 'em?

People who had a shag sometime between 3 yrs 9 months and 4 years 9 months
ago?

cheers,
clive

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:

I'll bet she wrecks drawers if they get sticky. Does she also turn off taps
too hard if they drip - or does she request you to fit a new washer?

Thats my MIL's favorite, doesn't need to drip she still does them up
like hauling in the Queen Mary's anchor chain....Everytime she stays
over I have atleast one tap to sort out afterwards.
Mind the long through shaft taps that shut off the cold feed to the
undersink water heaters at work never lasted very long either "I've
turned it off but its still dripping, now what?" "wait for the water to
finish heating and expanding", UHH??
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from "badger.badger" contains these words:

Mind the long through shaft taps that shut off the cold feed to the
undersink water heaters at work never lasted very long either "I've
turned it off but its still dripping, now what?" "wait for the water to
finish heating and expanding", UHH??

The more sensible designs have a little cap over the water take-off so
that it syphons just a tiny bit more after you've turned off the infeed.
That drops the level just enough so that expansion doesn't make it
dribble.

--
Skipweasel