Posted to uk.d-i-y
51 51 is offline

Default Tile edge tooling

Hi all.
I'm going to have to use a large floor tile for a wall
application. The size I will have to use is probably
600mm x 600mm. This tile size is typically 15mm thick at least
and will not sit very well where they will meet existing wall tiles of
8mm thicknes.
So I'm looking for a tile type that I could chamfer down to a 8mm
thickness.

Is this feasible?

Thanks.

Arthur

Posted to uk.d-i-y

51 wrote:
Hi all.
I'm going to have to use a large floor tile for a wall
application. The size I will have to use is probably
600mm x 600mm. This tile size is typically 15mm thick at least
and will not sit very well where they will meet existing wall tiles of
8mm thicknes.
So I'm looking for a tile type that I could chamfer down to a 8mm
thickness.

Is this feasible?

Thanks.

Arthur

You could chamfer down the back and upper and lower edges, leaving the
front intact. You would have to grind the back down carefully to ensure
it did not crack/splinter etc.
I guess marble would do it OK.
Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
51 51 is offline

sm_jamieson wrote:
51 wrote:
Hi all.
I'm going to have to use a large floor tile for a wall
application. The size I will have to use is probably
600mm x 600mm. This tile size is typically 15mm thick at least
and will not sit very well where they will meet existing wall tiles of
8mm thicknes.
So I'm looking for a tile type that I could chamfer down to a 8mm
thickness.

Is this feasible?

Thanks.

Arthur

You could chamfer down the back and upper and lower edges, leaving the
front intact. You would have to grind the back down carefully to ensure
it did not crack/splinter etc.
I guess marble would do it OK.
Simon.

I have to chamfer the front face down toward the back edge so that
floor tile will go edge to edge with a wall tile without stepping.
I'm looking for a tile that has a design pattern that is not on the
surface of the tile
so that I don't reveal a white background when I chamfer it.

Arthur

Posted to uk.d-i-y

51 wrote:
sm_jamieson wrote:
51 wrote:
[...]

Or a red one..

well only natural stone has in intrinsic pattern. Tiles are all glazed
with patterns in the glaze - apart from unglazed tiles which are usually
terracotta colored only. e.g. 'quarry tiles'

Arthur

Posted to uk.d-i-y

51 wrote:

So I'm looking for a tile type that I could chamfer down to a 8mm
thickness.

Is this feasible?

Yes, but only on a natural stone or marble tile. The better tile shops
and the granite worktop suppliers usually have the tooling to do this
sort of cutting and polishing.

--
Cheers,

John.