DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Thermocouple gone? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/175900-thermocouple-gone.html)

Dark Angel September 14th 06 03:47 PM

Thermocouple gone?

Right, got a Glowworm Hideaway boiler which refuses to stay lit.

The pilot light comes on fine as long as your pushing the control knob in,
soon as you let go (even after leaving the pilot on for more than the
required time) it immediately goes out.

Does this sound like the thermocouple and are such things easy to replace?

--
Best Wishes
Simon Taylor

Alan September 14th 06 03:52 PM

Thermocouple gone?

Does this sound like the thermocouple and are such things easy to replace?

Yes, and yes, usually.

Bob Mannix September 14th 06 03:59 PM

Thermocouple gone?

"Alan" wrote in message

Does this sound like the thermocouple and are such things easy to
replace?

Yes, and yes, usually.

When I replaced the thermostat for the first time on my Gloworm, they said
it was universal, so the next time I bought one in B&Q (not sure if they
still do them and that worked fine.

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Dark Angel September 14th 06 08:55 PM

Thermocouple gone?

"Bob Mannix" wrote in message...
When I replaced the thermostat for the first time on my Gloworm, they said
it was universal, so the next time I bought one in B&Q (not sure if they
still do them and that worked fine.

Did you have to take the front of the ignition box to replace it?

--
Best Wishes
Simon (aka Dark Angel)

Harry Bloomfield September 14th 06 09:53 PM

Thermocouple gone?

Dark Angel has brought this to us :
Right, got a Glowworm Hideaway boiler which refuses to stay lit.

The pilot light comes on fine as long as your pushing the control knob in,
soon as you let go (even after leaving the pilot on for more than the
required time) it immediately goes out.

Does this sound like the thermocouple and are such things easy to replace?

Yes, but there is also the possibility that it could be the solenoid
coil and/or gas valve - try the thermocouple first.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Andrew Gabriel September 14th 06 10:57 PM

Thermocouple gone?

In article ,
"Dark Angel" writes:
Right, got a Glowworm Hideaway boiler which refuses to stay lit.

The pilot light comes on fine as long as your pushing the control knob in,
soon as you let go (even after leaving the pilot on for more than the
required time) it immediately goes out.

Does this sound like the thermocouple and are such things easy to replace?

Another possibility is a partially blocked pilot light,
so it's not playing on the thermocouple anymore.

--
Andrew Gabriel