Member

Default Jet wash worth fixing?

I bought one of those cheap jet washers from B&Q a few years ago for about £40 i think.
It has started to play up now as when the trigger is released it continues to "jet" albeit on reduced pressure so i have to turn it off at the machine every time.
Is it fixable or shall i junk it.
I bet someone here has stripped one down for a look?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

freddyuk wrote:
I bought one of those cheap jet washers from B&Q a few years ago for
about £40 i think.
It has started to play up now as when the trigger is released it
continues to "jet" albeit on reduced pressure so i have to turn it off
at the machine every time.
Is it fixable or shall i junk it.
I bet someone here has stripped one down for a look?

Could be the gun thats at fault? strip it down and see if anything untoward
has failed ie the spring on the trigger not fully returning.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from freddyuk contains these words:

It has started to play up now as when the trigger is released it
continues to "jet" albeit on reduced pressure so i have to turn it off
at the machine every time.

When it's a "low power" is the motor still running?

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

freddyuk wrote:
I bought one of those cheap jet washers from B&Q a few years ago for
about £40 i think.
It has started to play up now as when the trigger is released it
continues to "jet" albeit on reduced pressure so i have to turn it off
at the machine every time.
Is it fixable or shall i junk it.
I bet someone here has stripped one down for a look?

Might be worth stripping the trigger gun down - if you can get into it.
Possibly an O ring or spring. If it lasted a few years for £40 its done
well.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"freddyuk" wrote in message

I bought one of those cheap jet washers from B&Q a few years ago for
about £40 i think.
It has started to play up now as when the trigger is released it
continues to "jet" albeit on reduced pressure so i have to turn it off
at the machine every time.
Is it fixable or shall i junk it.
I bet someone here has stripped one down for a look?

The £40 ones are nowhere near a proper jetwash. Get something off the
carboot that involves a big motor attached to a home welded metal frame...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doki wrote:
"freddyuk" wrote in message

I bought one of those cheap jet washers from B&Q a few years ago for
about £40 i think.
It has started to play up now as when the trigger is released it
continues to "jet" albeit on reduced pressure so i have to turn it
off at the machine every time.
Is it fixable or shall i junk it.
I bet someone here has stripped one down for a look?

The £40 ones are nowhere near a proper jetwash. Get something off the
carboot that involves a big motor attached to a home welded metal
frame...

Or buy the sunday special from Aldi.
Mind you have to be in the que early because they sold out in the first
hour nationwide the last lot they sold.
http://www.aldi-stores.co.uk/

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Member

I know it was rubbish to begin with but it serves a purpose for light work. The motor is running all the time but the pressure just drops a bit but the water is still "jetting". The trigger appears to come fully out . I wondered if there was a pressure valve in the unit which cuts the compresser when the trigger is released?

If i had a lot of work i would buy a decent petrol unit but it just isn't worth it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I know it was rubbish to begin with but it serves a purpose for light
work. The motor is running all the time but the pressure just drops a
bit but the water is still "jetting". The trigger appears to come fully
out . I wondered if there was a pressure valve in the unit which cuts
the compresser when the trigger is released?

My cheapie B&Q model was clearly pressure switched on the motor. The motor
would stop when the pressure got high enough. When initially turned on, the
motor runs for a short period to get the pressure up and then stops.

The trigger simply operates a valve on the head that stops the water coming
out. The motor soon turns off as the pressure rises. There is no "signal"
connection of any sort between the head and the compressor. If you have the
same model, I suspect the valve in the head has broken and is not turning
off the water.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Christian McArdle wrote:
[...]

Valve wont be broken,if it was I'm sure you'd hear it going...bam,bam,bam
or noises to that effect :-)

ps I have stripped those cheapies down.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Valve wont be broken,if it was I'm sure you'd hear it going...bam,bam,bam
or noises to that effect :-)

I'm talking about the tap in the lance. I suspect the pressure switch and
the body of the machine is OK, but the lance valve is knackered.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'm talking about the tap in the lance. I suspect the pressure switch and
the body of the machine is OK, but the lance valve is knackered.

Or just as likely, the connection between the trigger and the valve.

Christian.