Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Under Bath Flooring

As part of my bathroom renovations I am relaying the floorbaords as some of
them have been replaced with newer boards and as I want to get them all sanded I
want them all to be of the same vintage so they match .I am proposing to lift
the ones that go under the bath and use them and replace the parts directly
under the bath as they will not be seen . I got some yesterday from Wickes but
on getting them home I found them to be very light in weight which doesn't
matter so much but they are a bit cupped . I'll probably take them back .As an
alternative to getting decent boards from a timber merchant ( it would be a very
small order) I was wondering if I could use chipboard .I presume that I could as
modern homes must use this in under bath situations so I guess it is ok .

Stuart
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"gort" wrote in message
news
I was wondering if I could use chipboard .I presume that I could as
modern homes must use this in under bath situations so I guess it is ok .

Stuart

If you do don't lay it all in one sheet, because if you do it odds on you
will need to get under it next week to repair a leaking joint.

Dave

My 20 year old house has chipboard upstairs = but thankfully the builder had
sense to use tongue and groove real wood in the bathroom. Chipboard is
useless one it gets wet.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 14:11:24 +0100, Stuart wrote:

As part of my bathroom renovations I am relaying the floorbaords as some of
them have been replaced with newer boards and as I want to get them all sanded I
want them all to be of the same vintage so they match .I am proposing to lift
the ones that go under the bath and use them and replace the parts directly
under the bath as they will not be seen . I got some yesterday from Wickes but
on getting them home I found them to be very light in weight which doesn't
matter so much but they are a bit cupped . I'll probably take them back .As an
alternative to getting decent boards from a timber merchant ( it would be a very
small order) I was wondering if I could use chipboard .I presume that I could as
modern homes must use this in under bath situations so I guess it is ok .

Stuart

mmm timber in the bathroom not a great idea. I have exposed floorboards
every where except on the stairs (quieter) and in the bathroom (moisture).
But if you do go ahead other options are timber from reclamation yard. We
have one run by the council as they rip down old buildings and actually
the wood is cheaper (and obviously better) than new. Then you don't need
to move boards. Most new boards end up cupped these days, its the economy
cut to the timber, less waste from the pattern they now use, but poorer
stability. But if it is under the bath, does it matter? Or is it fancy no
panel bath?

--
Mike W

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 14:30:37 +0100, gort wrote:

I was wondering if I could use chipboard .I presume that I could as
modern homes must use this in under bath situations so I guess it is ok .

Stuart

If you do don't lay it all in one sheet, because if you do it odds on you
will need to get under it next week to repair a leaking joint.

Dave

Thankfully there are no pipes nor wires under the part of the bath that I am
dealing with so that's not a problem .All the pipes are at the taps end and
coming from beyond the bath

Stuart

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 13:29:50 GMT, "John" wrote:

"gort" wrote in message
news
I was wondering if I could use chipboard .I presume that I could as
modern homes must use this in under bath situations so I guess it is ok .

Stuart

If you do don't lay it all in one sheet, because if you do it odds on you
will need to get under it next week to repair a leaking joint.

Dave

My 20 year old house has chipboard upstairs = but thankfully the builder had
sense to use tongue and groove real wood in the bathroom. Chipboard is
useless one it gets wet.

Hopefully it won't get wet under the bath ..crosses fingers ..

Stuart
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 13:33:38 GMT, visionset wrote:

[...]

No ..The bath does have a panel all round so nothing underneath will be seen ..
You are probably right ...a bit of cupping won't really matter where it isn't
seen .....I might still go ahead and sort out the boards while I am at it tho'
so that if I do decide in the future to lay vinyl they will be even and with
little or no gaps ..

Stuart

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"John" writes:

My 20 year old house has chipboard upstairs = but thankfully the builder had
sense to use tongue and groove real wood in the bathroom. Chipboard is
useless one it gets wet.

You use special chipboard for potentially damp areas.
This doesn't rot when wet.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
"gort" wrote in message
news
I was wondering if I could use chipboard .I presume that I could as
modern homes must use this in under bath situations so I guess it is ok .

Stuart

If you do don't lay it all in one sheet, because if you do it odds on you
will need to get under it next week to repair a leaking joint.

Dave

My 20 year old house has chipboard upstairs = but thankfully the builder had
sense to use tongue and groove real wood in the bathroom. Chipboard is
useless one it gets wet.

My upstairs floors are all chipboard. Leaks make it swell, but it goes
back when it dries out more or less.

In actual fact, there is no need for ANY flooring under as bath if its
enclosed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 09:23:30 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

John wrote:
"gort" wrote in message
news
I was wondering if I could use chipboard .I presume that I could as
modern homes must use this in under bath situations so I guess it is ok .

Stuart
If you do don't lay it all in one sheet, because if you do it odds on you
will need to get under it next week to repair a leaking joint.

Dave

My 20 year old house has chipboard upstairs = but thankfully the builder had
sense to use tongue and groove real wood in the bathroom. Chipboard is
useless one it gets wet.

My upstairs floors are all chipboard. Leaks make it swell, but it goes
back when it dries out more or less.

In actual fact, there is no need for ANY flooring under a bath if its
enclosed.

Although it helps for sound deadening I suppose but you do need flooring where
the bath feet are situated otherwise it might be problematic ....lol

Stuart

Posted to uk.d-i-y

.

[...]

Put some hardwood under the feet to stop them endenting the floor and
causing the bath to settle.

John

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 12:20:21 +0100, wrote:

On 11 Sep,
Stuart wrote:

Although it helps for sound deadening I suppose but you do need flooring
where the bath feet are situated otherwise it might be problematic ....lol

Also it's worth having a reasonably watertight floor to contain any leaks, so
that the frst warning of a problem /isn't/ the failure of the ceiling below!

And the neighbour knocking on your door ..lol