Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Ideas - steel box section

At the front of my house is a section of overhanging roof to form a porch.
It is supported at one corner by a 3.5 x 3.5 inch wooden post that is
embedded in a brick pier. Inevitably the base of the post has rotted and has
allowed the roof to sag by a couple of inches or so.

I would like to replace the wood with a steel box section - ideally with:

1. A base fitting to spread the load over the hole left by the wooden post.
2. Some form of adjustment to allow me to progressively jack the roof back.
( I though of using an acrow prop but they don't have decorative ones!!)

I remember in a previous job that all sorts of fittings can be obtained for
steel sections but so far haven't found a web site.

Any views on my plan - any suggestions of sources?

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 08 Sep 2006 17:59:34 GMT, "John" wrote:

At the front of my house is a section of overhanging roof to form a porch.
It is supported at one corner by a 3.5 x 3.5 inch wooden post that is
embedded in a brick pier. Inevitably the base of the post has rotted and has
allowed the roof to sag by a couple of inches or so.

I would like to replace the wood with a steel box section - ideally with:

1. A base fitting to spread the load over the hole left by the wooden post.
2. Some form of adjustment to allow me to progressively jack the roof back.
( I though of using an acrow prop but they don't have decorative ones!!)

I remember in a previous job that all sorts of fittings can be obtained for
steel sections but so far haven't found a web site.

Any views on my plan - any suggestions of sources?

John

Couldn't you jack it up with an acrow and then get the post fabricated at a
local 'blacksmiths' who should be able to advise on suitable section.

Take in a dimensioned drawing of what you require and get a quote. I've just had
some brackets to support a framework made this way.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:

At the front of my house is a section of overhanging roof to form a porch.
It is supported at one corner by a 3.5 x 3.5 inch wooden post that is
embedded in a brick pier. Inevitably the base of the post has rotted and has
allowed the roof to sag by a couple of inches or so.

I would like to replace the wood with a steel box section - ideally with:

1. A base fitting to spread the load over the hole left by the wooden post.
2. Some form of adjustment to allow me to progressively jack the roof back.
( I though of using an acrow prop but they don't have decorative ones!!)

I remember in a previous job that all sorts of fittings can be obtained for
steel sections but so far haven't found a web site.

Any views on my plan - any suggestions of sources?

Why make life harder? Use oak so it wont rot, dont embed it so it
doesnt soak, and Bob may or may not be your uncle.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'd second an oak post, but add decorative oak pads top and bottom.
Should future adjustment be required,,jack and replace pad.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
ups.com...
I'd second an oak post, but add decorative oak pads top and bottom.
Should future adjustment be required,,jack and replace pad.

Thanks so far.

Picture at:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/john.plant90/house/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"John" writes:
Picture at:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/john.plant90/house/

I used to work in a building which had lots of external
supports like that. The timber posts were sawn off
about 8" above ground level and went into a steel socket
with a thin metal post taking it into the ground, a bit
like a fence post spike, but much better made and more
decorative. I have seen these elsewhere too so I presume
the steel part is a reasonably standard building part.

Do you know the post has actually rotted, rather than
having sunk due to having no foundations at that point?

Be very careful jacking back up in case it collapses
on you.

There are screwed metal supports of the type you imagine
which are used in the corners of bay windows when they
are replaced by PVC frames. Not sure where you could buy
them, but possibly from a PVC building materials supplier,
who supplies windows installers. PBM - Plastic Building
Materials Ltd is one such, but they don't seem to have a
web presence.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article ,
"John" writes:
[...]

Thanks - the bottom of the post is like tissue paper. Several neighbours
houses are suffering the same fate. I suspect that the post rests on a brick
end.

I have tried using a length of wood and a car jack and it took a fair bit of
effort to lift it half an inch. Water is overflowing the rainwater gutter in
the corner. (Not as bad as some neighbours)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" writes:
[...]

=====================
I would suggest that you get one or two Acrows under that roof promptly to
stabilise the situation whilst you consider how to remedy it. There's enough
weight there to kill you if it collapsed on you.

As far as a remedy is concerned, I would suggest that you remove the brick
pillar and put in a 4" steel column with a welded base plate / top plate. Dig
out about 12" depth and fill with concrete. You can re-instate the pillar when
the roof is safe.

Cic.

It has removed 422 spam emails to date.
Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from "John" contains these words:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/john.plant90/house/

Ah, what you want's a helium balloon.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Cicero" wrote in message
k...

"John" writes:
[...]

Surely it isn't urgent or dangerous?!?!?!!?

If I give it a gentle upward pressure - will it straighten up over time?
will the water run the right way in the gutter?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message
At the front of my house is a section of overhanging roof to form a porch.
It is supported at one corner by a 3.5 x 3.5 inch wooden post that is
embedded in a brick pier. Inevitably the base of the post has rotted and
has allowed the roof to sag by a couple of inches or so.

I would like to replace the wood with a steel box section - ideally with:

1. A base fitting to spread the load over the hole left by the wooden
post.
2. Some form of adjustment to allow me to progressively jack the roof
back. ( I though of using an acrow prop but they don't have decorative
ones!!)

You can get concrete in bases, which provide a 16mm threaded rod which you
drill a hole in end of post, a pair of nuts & a large washer on the threaded
section allow you to adjust the post up.
Would suggest using an acrow or temp prop to get roof to aprox right, and
then you only have to allow an inch or so of adjustment.

These are used for decking, timber frame structures etc.

The ones I am referring to have the threaded rod coming up from a square
plate, and under the plate is a piece of rebar you concrete in, and the
plate also spreads the load.

I have also seen them without the rebar ... you rawl bolt the plate down.

The timber frame companies then have neat decorative mouldings that go
around the wooden post totally hiding the assembly.

You can see these in the Beamlock Decking Solution brochure ....
do a Google for Beamlock ... or go to manufacturers site (Finnforest)

However as this is uk.d-i-y -
Would be very easy to make one out of some threaded bar & plate ....
Simply take a 150 x 150 x 8mm plate, drill a 16.5mm hole in centre ..... put
a 450mm length of 16mm threaded bar (zinc coated) through this .. nuts
either side to lock it to plate ...concrete the one side into the existing
hole, and the other sticking up with a pair on nuts and a washer will give
you the jack for your post.

You can adjust plate size to suit your brick pier.

Threaded bar is in B&Q or any builders Merchants .... any Blacksmith shop or
fabrication place will cut you a piece of 8mm plate and put a hole in it for
you.
They probably have something in the crap bin ... so could be cheap.

Rick

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message
news

"Cicero" wrote in message
k...

"John" writes:
[...]

=======================
I would certainly treat it as both urgent and dangerous.

A builder who uses an 8' length of 3" x 3" softwood to support a heavy roof is
quite likely to skimp on other details such as the wall plate fixing. Judging by
your pictures there is no water run-off around the base of the timber (hence the
rot) and the horizontal roof timbers are visibly bending or sinking. If they're
bending they're on their way to snapping and if they're sinking then they're
stressing the rest of the roof. Also you have no real idea of the strength of
the brick pier or its foundations. Unless this pier has a solid foundation any
remedial work you do on the supporting post will fail.

I think that you should support the roof with one or two props to stabilise it
as soon as possible. As far as getting the roof back into shape is concerned it
depends on what the horizontal timbers are doing - bending or sinking. If
they're bending then you might not be able to get them back into shape. If
they're sinking then they will probably jack back into position. In any case you
should look for damage along the inner edge of the roof to see if it's pulling
away from the main house wall.

This may sound like scare-mongering but bits of buildings can collapse without
warning.

Cic.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message

wrote in message
ups.com...
I'd second an oak post, but add decorative oak pads top and bottom.
Should future adjustment be required,,jack and replace pad.

Thanks so far.

Picture at:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/john.plant90/house/

It looks quite a new house - how old is it?

Isn't structural failure like this covered by the NHBC guarantee if it's
less than 10 years old? Cue all the usual torrent of stories about how
useless the NHBC guarantee is, but it may be worth a try.

I'd also be having some pointed discussions with the original builder,
and asking for some comment and advice from the L A Building Inspector.

I certainly wouldn't assume that the brick pillar is founded on anything
substantial without doing a bit of digging.

Meanwhile, a baulk of timber and a couple of Acro props, I think, if
only to stop it sinking further.

--
Kevin Poole
**Use current month and year to reply (e.g. )***