Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default chimney got damp

Hi

I live in a middle terrace house and the chimney breast is on a party
wall I have noticed on my walls either side of the ground floor chimney
breast there are two damp patches this is not rising damp as the
patches are about 1m up from the floor and the plaster below looks dry
the patches are about .5m in diameter.

The chimney has been removed all the way up to the roof with the stack
gone the only part left is on ground floor I am going to be removing
this part as it is not supporting the upper floor as the joists run
into the party wall of my Nabors house.

My question is this any ideas where the damp could be coming from and
what solutions would be recommended as I have said I will be removing
the chimney breast soon I might be able to see more then but wanted to
know what to look for when removing bricks to verify where the damp is
getting in.

I am turning the room into a kitchen and want to cure the problem
before I get to far in I would also like to dry line the wall is there
any type of material that is best to use in these conditions ?

I also noticed when removing the crappy electric fake looking fire that
there was allot of dust i.e. half a bin liner behind the fire and is
damp as well if that helps.

Any advice would be greatly received
..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

squelchy wrote:
[...]

.

There's not much it can be really, obviously it's not rising damp, nor is it
penetrating damp from rainfall etc, the only other options a1)
condensation, although this is unlikely in such a small area, and 2) a
leaking pipe - old houses had back boilers plumbed into the back of the
fire, when these were removed, people often just bent the lead pipes over
and flattened them with a hammer...if there's one or two of these buried in
the plaster, they may be still dripping, albeit very slowly.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil L wrote:
squelchy wrote:
[...]

It could be.

If the chimney was damp proofed with a render up to about a meter from
the floor. This is not unusual.

The solution is to remove it entirely, and put a DPC at floor level.

chimney breast removed - damp patches on wall.....!! zonecrew UK diy 3 August 21st 06 09:56 PM
Damp Chimney Breast Sebastien UK diy 1 August 28th 04 01:16 AM
Damp on chimney in bedroom... condensation? Lago Jardin UK diy 7 May 12th 04 09:47 AM
[Fwd: Chimney cap replacement questions] RB Home Repair 0 December 26th 03 07:13 PM
More damp testing woes Kooky45 UK diy 22 October 21st 03 11:33 AM