Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fixing a brick pier

Hi,

In my front garden I have a brick wall ten courses high. At one end
there is a little 'pier' built on top which is just three courses high
and 9 inches (ie one brick's length) square. The pier has broken away,
presumably because of someone leaning against it. It's broken very
cleanly(with the mortar sticking to bottom).

Any advice on the best way to fix it back together? Is there some sort
of resin-type substance I could glue it with?

I'm thinking that this is always likely to be a weak spot, and where
the pier is just invites people to lean on it. Maybe I should reinforce
it with some sort of steel rod? I could drill down into the wall and up
into the pier and insert a rod, again with some sort of resin. I've
actually got some heli bars and the resin lying about.
What do you think?

Martin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Pentreath wrote:
[...]

This would work but you'll have to go about 100mm into both, IE the rod
should be about 200mm to be of any use.
And you'll have to be carefull when drilling into the upper part or it might
break up.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil L wrote:
Martin Pentreath wrote:

[...]

and get the 2 holes either perfectly parallel or oversize

Re resin repair, this is a standard wall repair method, and either
epoxy or the cheaper stuff will work. A fresh mortar joint would also
work.

If your reinforcement only goes a small way into the full wall, it'll
just snap the wall instead of the pier, or snap the pier higher up. I
assume the OP means run a bar full length from top of pier down into
the wall. Should be doable with an sds drill, but I suspect it may be
less work to just glue the pier back and risk gluing it again in 10
years. Only if its a real problem would I want to either drill or
rebuild the pier to accomodate bar. Theres also the fact that bar can
rust and break the wall/pier up.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks for the advice, maybe the steel rod would be overkill then. Can
anyone point me in the direction of the appropriate resin for just
gluing the thing back together?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Pentreath wrote:

Thanks for the advice, maybe the steel rod would be overkill then. Can
anyone point me in the direction of the appropriate resin for just
gluing the thing back together?

toolstation, screwfix and so on do 310ml cartridges. Any cartridge
resin will do it. Epoxy is the best quality and is preferred for
structural work. Using the special nozzles is a must.

NT

Hardieplank versus vinyl fishman35 Home Repair 4 August 13th 06 02:55 AM
Brick Mold Installation on Replacement Window Nancie Home Repair 0 August 12th 06 06:41 AM
Repairing brick pier. Liam UK diy 6 January 30th 06 11:27 PM
fixing skirting board to brick wall dbroms UK diy 11 January 17th 06 02:20 AM
Fixing studs to brick wall MGA UK diy 31 October 10th 04 09:13 PM