Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Using surplus building sand

I have two tons of building sand left over from a building project. I am
about to lay some brick edgings for a gravel driveway and wondered if I
could use the building sand as opposed to sharp sand to set the bricks into.
I wasn't thinking of a dry mix as this would wash away but using a stronger
wet mix (say 3:1 sand:cement) on a hardcore base to set the bricks in.
Would this be acceptable or would I need to strengthen the mix with say
gravel?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

paul wrote:
I have two tons of building sand left over from a building project. I
am about to lay some brick edgings for a gravel driveway and wondered
if I could use the building sand as opposed to sharp sand to set the
bricks into. I wasn't thinking of a dry mix as this would wash away
but using a stronger wet mix (say 3:1 sand:cement) on a hardcore base
to set the bricks in. Would this be acceptable or would I need to
strengthen the mix with say gravel?

It's building sand, IE It's what is used for building with, sharp sand is
not usually used for bricklaying, it's for concrete and for laying flags /
block paving etc on.
3:1 is a bit strong IMV, try 4 or 5:1

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil L wrote:
paul wrote:
I have two tons of building sand left over from a building project. I
am about to lay some brick edgings for a gravel driveway and wondered
if I could use the building sand as opposed to sharp sand to set the
bricks into. I wasn't thinking of a dry mix as this would wash away
but using a stronger wet mix (say 3:1 sand:cement) on a hardcore base
to set the bricks in. Would this be acceptable or would I need to
strengthen the mix with say gravel?

It's building sand, IE It's what is used for building with, sharp sand is
not usually used for bricklaying, it's for concrete and for laying flags /
block paving etc on.
3:1 is a bit strong IMV, try 4 or 5:1

The only difference in the sand is that the brick sand is smaller
particles. A little smal sized gravel would expand the amount you would
get at the same strength for the same amount of cement.

The surface area of small particulate is much much greater than the
surface area of coarse particulate. And it is the surface coating with
cement that makes it bind.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Weatherlawyer wrote:
Phil L wrote:
paul wrote:
[...]

I know, and grit sand sets rock hard too, but for bricklaying it's not
smooth enough for pointing, nor attractive when set, IMV anyway, YMMV etc
:-p

Posted to uk.d-i-y

paul wrote:

I have two tons of building sand left over from a building project. I am
about to lay some brick edgings for a gravel driveway and wondered if I
could use the building sand as opposed to sharp sand to set the bricks into.

sure.

NT

sand cement render Tim Smith UK diy 13 April 11th 05 12:55 PM
Building Warrants - Buying Flat Without L Reid UK diy 6 July 16th 03 03:54 PM
Lack of building permit donald girod Home Repair 12 July 7th 03 11:13 PM