Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Outside door cills

On my 1920's house the outside door in the kitchen and the French window in
the dining room have oak thresholds about 125 wide x 75mm high, sat on
bullnosed blue brick steps. The oak is weathered and so badly worn near the
centre that the rain comes in under the water bar. Can any of you clever
folks come up with some suggestions how to improve them?

My best idea at present is to cover the oak on the outside with polished
stainless steel sheet erm, covers. They would need to be made-to-measure.
My mum had some on her house years ago, but nobody can remember where she
got them. Anyone know?

Ta
Peter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Replace the oak.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article .com,
" writes:
Replace the oak.

Could it be taken out and turned over to wear the other side?
Of course, you might find someone already did that;-)

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Could it be taken out and turned over to wear the other side?
Of course, you might find someone already did that;-)

It's only oak, the cost of a couple of door sills is small compared to
the labour/effort for any good repair - why bodge the job?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
oups.com...
Could it be taken out and turned over to wear the other side?
Of course, you might find someone already did that;-)

It's only oak, the cost of a couple of door sills is small compared to
the labour/effort for any good repair - why bodge the job?

I'd do it if I could - I'm no bodger. The trouble is the sill/threshold has
tenons dowel-jointed into the jambs, and the only way to get a new one in
without cutting the jambs is upwards, which means breaking out the blue
bricks. The idea behind the s/s covers was to give some weather protection,
because rainwater drips off the weatherboard straight onto the threshold.

I thought about cutting away the surface of the oak and refacing it with 1"
thick board - I did that 4 or 5 years ago to a rotted window cill and it's
still fine, but even that feels like a bodge.

Thanks for your thoughts. I'll have a ponder (or two)

Peter