Posted to uk.d-i-y
F F is offline

Default Removing tile adhesive

I've got to remove a fair amount of tile adhesive off plaster now that
the tiles are off the wall. It's sticking like the proverbial to a blanket.

I'm not too fussed about creating dust so would a belt sander shift it?

TIA

--
Frank
Posted to uk.d-i-y

F wrote:
I've got to remove a fair amount of tile adhesive off plaster now that
the tiles are off the wall. It's sticking like the proverbial to a blanket.

I'm not too fussed about creating dust so would a belt sander shift it?

I've found that a block plane can work very well for this.
Of course, the blade will need a complete resharpen, if you contact the
plasterboard.
(I used a Lidl 3.99/2 planes pack for this.)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

F wrote:
I've got to remove a fair amount of tile adhesive off plaster now that
the tiles are off the wall. It's sticking like the proverbial to a blanket.

I'm not too fussed about creating dust so would a belt sander shift it?

TIA

I doubt it. It'll probably gum up the abrasive.
Never tried this but coating it in wallpaper paste overnight might just
soften it. They say steamers work quite well
Posted to uk.d-i-y

F wrote:
I've got to remove a fair amount of tile adhesive off plaster now that
the tiles are off the wall. It's sticking like the proverbial to a
blanket.

I'm not too fussed about creating dust so would a belt sander shift
it?

TIA

A wallpaper steamer&3" Scraper will do the job in no time.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'm not too fussed about creating dust so would a belt sander shift it?

That's what I do.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
F F is offline

On 06/09/2006 11:14 Christian McArdle wrote:

That's what I do.

Thanks.

Spent £19.99 on one of Argos's cheapos (711/1363) and it's shifted the
adhesive quite quickly. The bag is useless and the mains lead is not
long enough to be able to reach the ceiling without lifting the mains
extension reel off the floor.

However, on the plus side I've used only one of the five belts included
in the box and even that's still got some life in it. Just wondering now
if I could have saved a tenner and got the one they've got on offer at
£9.99(710/5647).

A warning: goggles, mask and ear defenders are a must, as is sealing the
room to prevent the dust settling throughout the house.

--
Frank
Posted to uk.d-i-y

F wrote:
On 06/09/2006 11:14 Christian McArdle wrote:

That's what I do.

Thanks.

Spent £19.99 on one of Argos's cheapos (711/1363) and it's shifted the
adhesive quite quickly. The bag is useless and the mains lead is not
long enough to be able to reach the ceiling without lifting the mains
extension reel off the floor.

However, on the plus side I've used only one of the five belts
included in the box and even that's still got some life in it. Just
wondering now if I could have saved a tenner and got the one they've
got on offer at £9.99(710/5647).

A warning: goggles, mask and ear defenders are a must, as is sealing
the room to prevent the dust settling throughout the house.

I'd rather have a steamed room than dusty one.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
F F is offline

On 06/09/2006 18:50 The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

I'd rather have a steamed room than dusty one.

And I'd rather have the adhesive off the wall. Which I have.

I've also got a belt sander to add to my collection of tools rather than
a hole in my pocket from renting a steamer.

--
Frank
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"F" wrote in message
On 06/09/2006 18:50 The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

I'd rather have a steamed room than dusty one.

And I'd rather have the adhesive off the wall. Which I have.

I've also got a belt sander to add to my collection of tools rather than a
hole in my pocket from renting a steamer.

--
Frank

As a professional tiler I always get 'my lad' to remove any tile adhesive
residue with a 'cheap and cheerful' wallpaper steam stripper and wallpaper
scraper. I have been self employed doing this for nearly 15 years and I
have just bought my second steamer. Costing £20.00 each I would say the
cost per job is about a penny (the customer pays for water and 'leccy)!
Also means we can get on with retiling on the same day without great big
bogies up our noses! DO NOT use a sander of any description unless you want
the mess.

HTH

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

F wrote:
On 06/09/2006 18:50 The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

I'd rather have a steamed room than dusty one.

And I'd rather have the adhesive off the wall. Which I have.

Of course you have but it means cleaning the bathroom from top to bottom
after the dust has settled.

I've also got a belt sander to add to my collection of tools rather
than a hole in my pocket from renting a steamer.

A steamer in argos is a few quid.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
F F is offline

On 06/09/2006 21:24 The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

Of course you have but it means cleaning the bathroom from top to bottom
after the dust has settled.

That had to be done anyway - I've had to pull it apart for what amounts
to an almost complete rebuild.

A steamer in argos is a few quid.

But the sander was cheaper and will be more useful to me in the long run.

--
Frank
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"F" wrote in message
On 06/09/2006 21:24 The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

Of course you have but it means cleaning the bathroom from top to bottom
after the dust has settled.

That had to be done anyway - I've had to pull it apart for what amounts to
an almost complete rebuild.

So why bother taking the adhesive residue off the wall in the first place?

A steamer in argos is a few quid.

But the sander was cheaper and will be more useful to me in the long run.

Not to remove wallpaper it wont!

I think you are talking about only sanding a few areas rather than a whole
bathroom. Bathrooms (generally) are not that big, so if you had to do
"almost a complete rebuild" we are not talking apples for apples so your
suggestion may not help the OP!

Cheers

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
As a professional tiler I always get 'my lad' to remove any tile adhesive
residue with a 'cheap and cheerful' wallpaper steam stripper and wallpaper
scraper. I have been self employed doing this for nearly 15 years and I
have just bought my second steamer. Costing £20.00 each I would say the
cost per job is about a penny (the customer pays for water and 'leccy)!
Also means we can get on with retiling on the same day without great big
bogies up our noses! DO NOT use a sander of any description unless you want
the mess.

HTH

John

So, £20 for the steamer plus a bit of water and leccy.
How much is a "lad", and what sizes do they come in?

d.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"deano" wrote in message
ups.com...

John wrote:
As a professional tiler I always get 'my lad' to remove any tile adhesive
residue with a 'cheap and cheerful' wallpaper steam stripper and wallpaper
scraper. I have been self employed doing this for nearly 15 years and I
have just bought my second steamer. Costing £20.00 each I would say the
cost per job is about a penny (the customer pays for water and 'leccy)!
Also means we can get on with retiling on the same day without great big
bogies up our noses! DO NOT use a sander of any description unless you
want
the mess.

HTH

John

So, £20 for the steamer plus a bit of water and leccy.
How much is a "lad", and what sizes do they come in?

Totally irrelevant how much the 'lad' is in the context of the original
question. If he wasn't removing adhesive residue he would be doing
something else for my business, i.e. getting my butties, making my tea,
lifting and shifting, Oh yes and also learning how to be a competent tiler
and hopefully setting himself on his way to being his own boss like my last
'lad'. Who indecently now runs his own business (close by) and we actually
work together sometimes on larger jobs, some mine, some his!

Cheers

John

P.S. To the OP, ignore all this banter and use a steam stripper!

how to remove cement / adhesive from ceramic tile before re-attaching it to floor Alan Home Repair 10 December 18th 08 04:38 AM
Removing linoleum and adhesive from a kitchen floor Bob Home Repair 3 August 12th 05 01:16 AM
Drywall compound over tile adhesive?? Mike Home Ownership 3 October 26th 04 10:27 PM
Florida Tile LD Home Repair 16 March 2nd 04 11:52 PM
Tiling Advice - Any good reason I cant use mortar as Wall Tile Adhesive SledgehammerSteve UK diy 12 December 22nd 03 04:16 PM