Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Clean before Inhibitor?

Need to add some inhibitor to central heating system but wanted to know
whether it needs to be cleaned first. I am somewhat put off by the stories
of leaks appearing when it is cleaned - could do without the drips through
the ceiling (plus it's a pain to do it due to all the downstairs radiators
being fed on separate loops from upstairs system)

Thanks!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 04 Sep 2006 15:01:18 +0000, Greg wrote:

Need to add some inhibitor to central heating system but wanted to know
whether it needs to be cleaned first. I am somewhat put off by the stories
of leaks appearing when it is cleaned - could do without the drips through
the ceiling (plus it's a pain to do it due to all the downstairs radiators
being fed on separate loops from upstairs system)

Thanks!

If this is simply topping up to keep the dosage up to strength then go
ahead. If you have a problem or are upgrading the heating then a thorough
clean out is part of the job.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Gav Gav is offline

Greg wrote:
Need to add some inhibitor to central heating system but wanted to know
whether it needs to be cleaned first. I am somewhat put off by the stories
of leaks appearing when it is cleaned - could do without the drips through
the ceiling (plus it's a pain to do it due to all the downstairs radiators
being fed on separate loops from upstairs system)

Thanks!

i agree with ed, if it is a gravity system then just pour it in header,
if it is sealed then you will need to drain the system a bit
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-09-04 21:16:02 +0100, Gav said:

Greg wrote:
Need to add some inhibitor to central heating system but wanted to know
whether it needs to be cleaned first. I am somewhat put off by the
stories of leaks appearing when it is cleaned - could do without the
drips through the ceiling (plus it's a pain to do it due to all the
downstairs radiators being fed on separate loops from upstairs system)

Thanks!

i agree with ed, if it is a gravity system then just pour it in header,
if it is sealed then you will need to drain the system a bit

The Fernox Superconcentrate gel inhibitor (injected using a mastic
gun), now has an additional fitting in the pack to make injection
easier. Previously they had a small nozzle which one would screw into
a vent hole in a radiator having closed the valves and drained it a bit.

The new fitting is a male threaded and will fit into the filling loop
hose after disconnecting it from the mains water end. This is much
cleaner and more satisfactory. The procedure for this one is to empty
enough water from the system to release the pressure, then attach the
nozzle to the filling loop hose and inject the gel. The filling loop
hose can now be reconnected and the system refilled. Doing that
flushes any gel in the hose into the system.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-09-04 21:16:02 +0100, Gav said:

Greg wrote:
Need to add some inhibitor to central heating system but wanted to know
whether it needs to be cleaned first. I am somewhat put off by the
stories of leaks appearing when it is cleaned - could do without the
drips through the ceiling (plus it's a pain to do it due to all the
downstairs radiators being fed on separate loops from upstairs system)

I flush my 23 year old solid fuel system every two years. Turn ALL
radiators OFF except one, start upstairs. Turn pump to high speed and
open boiler drain valve. Header tank should soon start trying to
refill. When black water has stopped coming out of boiler drain then
open next radiator and close first radiator. Wait till black water
stops flowing again. Work your way around the system one radiator at a
time. My leak/dump radiator which is NOT pumped has to be done
individually.

Chris.