Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Canada Green Grass - any good?

Hi

I need to reseed parts of my lawn and looking at the Canada Green Grass
as its supposed to last better without water. Also heard you can just
throw it on the earth and it will take.

Anyone got experience of it and is it worth the money?

Scott
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Scott" wrote:
Hi

I need to reseed parts of my lawn and looking at the Canada Green Grass as
its supposed to last better without water. Also heard you can just throw
it on the earth and it will take.

Anyone got experience of it and is it worth the money?

Scott

No personal experience of this grass but plenty of experience of
advertising. If the advertising on everything else is anything to go by it
will not fully live up to the claims. For example: "Starting in just 14
days, a thick green beautiful lawn you'll be proud of!" If you interpret
that as meaning that 14 days after you sowed the seed you will have a thick
green beautiful lawn then you are going to be disappointed. What it actually
means is this - after 14 days you will see some new grass shoots that might
eventually grow into a thick green beautiful lawn. As for just throwing it
on the earth, yes, but then you have to rake the seeds into the soil,
otherwise you will be just feeding the birds.

Must change my name to Cynic.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil Anthropist wrote:

No personal experience of this grass but plenty of experience of
advertising. If the advertising on everything else is anything to go by it
will not fully live up to the claims. For example: "Starting in just 14
days, a thick green beautiful lawn you'll be proud of!" If you interpret
that as meaning that 14 days after you sowed the seed you will have a thick
green beautiful lawn then you are going to be disappointed. What it actually
means is this - after 14 days you will see some new grass shoots that might
eventually grow into a thick green beautiful lawn. As for just throwing it
on the earth, yes, but then you have to rake the seeds into the soil,
otherwise you will be just feeding the birds.

You only need to rake the seed in and roll it if you short measure the
sewing. How do you think that farmers managed all those millenia before
Jethro Tull invented the seed drill?

Farm seed contains too much of the wrong kind of grass but that would
be the cheapest way for making a lawn from seed. You can specify the
types of grass you don'r want in the mix if you have a farmers supply
shop locally.

They may also provide the Canadian variety the OP spoke about. Garden
shops are trying to make a living out that niche of farming called the
urban environment. But the growing requirements are all the same. It's
just a matter of scale.

I wondr how well the variety will do in a wet summer. Canadian climates
are hot summers and cold winters with comparatively little maritime.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
dg dg is offline

Scott wrote:
Hi

I need to reseed parts of my lawn and looking at the Canada Green Grass
as its supposed to last better without water. Also heard you can just
throw it on the earth and it will take.

Anyone got experience of it and is it worth the money?

Scott

I used it, and did not get a lush green lawn in 14 days - I was still
waiting after 4 months.

I bought a few kilos of seed from wilkos instead, for less money and
this has come up a treat.

dg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article . com,
"dg" writes:

I used it, and did not get a lush green lawn in 14 days - I was still
waiting after 4 months.

IME of planting grass, 14 days is about when the green shoots
become visible. It takes until the following spring before you
get a lush green lawn. I usually lay the seed more densely than
specified, in the belief it might lead to a lush green lawn
faster, but I don't know if it actually makes any difference,
not having done a controlled trial.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article . com,
"dg" writes:

I used it, and did not get a lush green lawn in 14 days - I was still
waiting after 4 months.

IME of planting grass, 14 days is about when the green shoots
become visible. It takes until the following spring before you
get a lush green lawn. I usually lay the seed more densely than
specified, in the belief it might lead to a lush green lawn
faster, but I don't know if it actually makes any difference,
not having done a controlled trial.

--

A trick I read somewhere was to put the grass seed into half a bag of
compost, add water, mix it up and then leave until the seed just starts to