Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OTish: Teenager repulsion - ultrasonics?

My gran's got a field with a few trees at the top end, and we're having
problems with kids drinking in the field. I've already been and got rid of
all the tall scrub that's giving cover, and next I'll see about thinning out
the trees.

What I'm wondering about is whether it'd be possible and worthwhile to set
up something like one of those cat scarers up in the top of the trees and
run them off lithium batteries to make sitting around there drinking
unpleasant for anyone with halfway decent hearing. Anyone got any ideas of
how much it'd cost and where to buy the kit (I can bodge stuff together DIY
quite happily).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doki wrote:
My gran's got a field with a few trees at the top end, and we're
having problems with kids drinking in the field. I've already been
and got rid of all the tall scrub that's giving cover, and next I'll
see about thinning out the trees.

What I'm wondering about is whether it'd be possible and worthwhile
to set up something like one of those cat scarers up in the top of
the trees and run them off lithium batteries to make sitting around
there drinking unpleasant for anyone with halfway decent hearing.
Anyone got any ideas of how much it'd cost and where to buy the kit
(I can bodge stuff together DIY quite happily).

There's one with a price he

http://castlehygiene.com/catalog/ind...6f0a e3997f8f

Another one can be found by typing "teenager repellent" into google -
although it has no price.

--

Take care,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doki wrote:
My gran's got a field with a few trees at the top end, and we're having
problems with kids drinking in the field. I've already been and got rid of
all the tall scrub that's giving cover, and next I'll see about thinning out
the trees.

What I'm wondering about is whether it'd be possible and worthwhile to set
up something like one of those cat scarers up in the top of the trees and
run them off lithium batteries to make sitting around there drinking
unpleasant for anyone with halfway decent hearing. Anyone got any ideas of
how much it'd cost and where to buy the kit (I can bodge stuff together DIY
quite happily).

This will not be a lot of help, but there is actually a device to get
rid of teenagers. I cannot remember much about it, not even where I read
the details, but it seems it emits a high pitch squeal which older folk
cannot hear, but bugs the hell out of teenagers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
df df is offline

Broadback wrote:
Doki wrote:
[...]

I thought that got banned for some reason it was used outside a shop up
north a while back, I think the police made them remove it.

Have a look
http://www.compoundsecurity.co.uk/de...t_news_11.html

regards df

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Doki
writes
My gran's got a field with a few trees at the top end, and we're having
problems with kids drinking in the field. I've already been and got rid of
all the tall scrub that's giving cover, and next I'll see about thinning out
the trees.

What I'm wondering about is whether it'd be possible and worthwhile to set
up something like one of those cat scarers up in the top of the trees and
run them off lithium batteries to make sitting around there drinking
unpleasant for anyone with halfway decent hearing. Anyone got any ideas of
how much it'd cost and where to buy the kit (I can bodge stuff together DIY
quite happily).

Nothing quite as effective as a Granny in carpet slippers, shotgun over arm
shouting 'Git orf my land!' . . . . with the possible exception of a Matt
Monroe cd.
--
fred
Plusnet - I hope you like vanilla

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doki wrote:

My gran's got a field with a few trees at the top end, and we're having
problems with kids drinking in the field. I've already been and got rid of
all the tall scrub that's giving cover, and next I'll see about thinning out
the trees.

What I'm wondering about is whether it'd be possible and worthwhile to set
up something like one of those cat scarers up in the top of the trees and
run them off lithium batteries to make sitting around there drinking
unpleasant for anyone with halfway decent hearing. Anyone got any ideas of
how much it'd cost and where to buy the kit (I can bodge stuff together DIY
quite happily).

I seem to recall that somebody who used ultrasonics had trouble with
the police over it. (Sorry I can't find a reference at the moment).

My local shopping centre started playing classical music over the PA,
which seemed to do the job quite well.

John
--
John White,
Electrical Contractor
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Doki" wrote in message
My gran's got a field with a few trees at the top end, and we're having
problems with kids drinking in the field. I've already been and got rid of
all the tall scrub that's giving cover, and next I'll see about thinning
out the trees.

A friendly farmer who can spread a bit of muck around where they congregate?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Broadback wrote in
:

This will not be a lot of help, but there is actually a device to get
rid of teenagers. I cannot remember much about it, not even where I
read the details, but it seems it emits a high pitch squeal which
older folk cannot hear, but bugs the hell out of teenagers.

I think it's called a boombox loaded with Barry Manilow tapes
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 1 Sep 2006 17:13:52 +0100, "shaun"
wrote:

"Doki" wrote in message
My gran's got a field with a few trees at the top end, and we're having
problems with kids drinking in the field. I've already been and got rid of
all the tall scrub that's giving cover, and next I'll see about thinning
out the trees.

A friendly farmer who can spread a bit of muck around where they congregate?

Or find a dead sheep and dump it there .In a short while they won't want to
gather there ..I'm sure of that .

Stuart

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Broadback wrote:
Doki wrote:
[...]

Some question over the legality of a device which intentionally causes
discomfort & distress to a targeted group. Falls foul of public health
laws imho, statutory nuisance and all that. Might not apply in this case,
due to private land with no public right of access.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mike the unimaginative" wrote in message
Broadback wrote in
:

This will not be a lot of help, but there is actually a device to get
rid of teenagers. I cannot remember much about it, not even where I
read the details, but it seems it emits a high pitch squeal which
older folk cannot hear, but bugs the hell out of teenagers.

I think it's called a boombox loaded with Barry Manilow tapes

or:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/humber/4083037.stm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from "Doki" contains these words:

What I'm wondering about is whether it'd be possible and worthwhile to set
up something like one of those cat scarers up in the top of the trees and
run them off lithium batteries to make sitting around there drinking
unpleasant for anyone with halfway decent hearing. Anyone got any ideas of
how much it'd cost and where to buy the kit (I can bodge stuff together DIY
quite happily).

Muckspreader. A couple of passes with half a ton of the slurry pit's
finest and they won't be back.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"shaun" wrote in message

"Doki" wrote in message
My gran's got a field with a few trees at the top end, and we're having
problems with kids drinking in the field. I've already been and got rid
of all the tall scrub that's giving cover, and next I'll see about
thinning out the trees.

A friendly farmer who can spread a bit of muck around where they
congregate?

Can be easily done, but, I'd rather not have the smell of **** if possible.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bioboffin" wrote in message
Doki wrote:
My gran's got a field with a few trees at the top end, and we're
having problems with kids drinking in the field. I've already been
and got rid of all the tall scrub that's giving cover, and next I'll
see about thinning out the trees.

What I'm wondering about is whether it'd be possible and worthwhile
to set up something like one of those cat scarers up in the top of
the trees and run them off lithium batteries to make sitting around
there drinking unpleasant for anyone with halfway decent hearing.
Anyone got any ideas of how much it'd cost and where to buy the kit
(I can bodge stuff together DIY quite happily).

There's one with a price he

http://castlehygiene.com/catalog/ind...6f0a e3997f8f

Another one can be found by typing "teenager repellent" into google -
although it has no price.

Yebbut have you seen the price? All you need is a battery pack, and some
sort of tweeter & signal generator, or a piezo buzzer that works at a
relatively high frequency and you're away. The cat scarer things are about
£20 and are audible to people with good hearing (certainly me, and they're
not right pleasant).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Doki" wrote in message

What I'm wondering about is whether it'd be possible and worthwhile to set
up something like one of those cat scarers

I hear that a dose of Mozart shifts them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doki wrote:

My gran's got a field with a few trees at the top end, and we're having
problems with kids drinking in the field.

It'd be cheaper and easier to smear the areas most affected with jams
and over-ripe fruit, to encourage wasps and ants (little and often to
make the wasps keen on returning for more) and also find a source of
rustic aroma product (the more the merrier. Good old fashioned milk
by-product well applied and liberally) and get some fresh helpings of
that from time to time.

Even the odd 10 day old tin of oily fish aught to do the trick. Splash
it all over.

Then there is the good old fashioned favourite, thistles and nettles.
Good for the environment too.

I doubt it is illegal to play whatever music you like to annoy
neighbours outstaying their welcome. 1950's crooners proved a great
success in the USA, decades ago. Old scratched records played a little
slow will travel best over a greater distance. See if you can get some
Paul Robeson. The deeper the notes the better, it doesn't have to be
loud. Just get a megaphone and an intruder alarm to set it off.

Steer clear of personal contact. A gang doesn't have much reason where
alcohol is involved and the politics of confrontation always favours
democracy on such occasions.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Doki" wrote in message

"shaun" wrote in message

"Doki" wrote in message
My gran's got a field with a few trees at the top end, and we're having
problems with kids drinking in the field. I've already been and got rid
of all the tall scrub that's giving cover, and next I'll see about
thinning out the trees.

A friendly farmer who can spread a bit of muck around where they
congregate?

Can be easily done, but, I'd rather not have the smell of **** if

possible.

Problem will soon be gone with summer on its way out. Provided there is no
house near where they are congregating as another poster suggests - jam /
sugar water to attract the wasps next year

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doki wrote:
My gran's got a field with a few trees at the top end, and we're having
problems with kids drinking in the field.

The ultrasonic is a good idea.
But how about putting some beehives there? They don't have to contain
bees if you don't want them, but you could have a sign that says
"Danger: Keep Clear of Bees"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Roger
Cain writes

"Doki" wrote in message

What I'm wondering about is whether it'd be possible and worthwhile to set
up something like one of those cat scarers

I hear that a dose of Mozart shifts them.

Canned classics ?

prolly lost on non-german speakers

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from Owain contains these words:

A nice friendly cow or a couple of goats? Leave the horns on.

When I was a nipper I used to walk to school past a field with some
goats in. One had a pair of rubber handlebar grips epoxied to its horns.
It was still foul tempered, but easier to steer in the rain.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Doki wrote:
What I'm wondering about is whether it'd be possible and worthwhile to
set up something like one of those cat scarers up in the top of the
trees and run them off lithium batteries to make sitting around there
drinking unpleasant for anyone with halfway decent hearing. Anyone got
any ideas of how much it'd cost and where to buy the kit (I can bodge
stuff together DIY quite happily).

Any supersonic frequency will be very directional out of doors and need
more than a couple of lithium batteries to give sufficient power.

--
*This message has been ROT-13 encrypted twice for extra security *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Gav Gav is offline

Doki wrote:
My gran's got a field with a few trees at the top end, and we're having
problems with kids drinking in the field. I've already been and got rid of
all the tall scrub that's giving cover, and next I'll see about thinning out
the trees.

What I'm wondering about is whether it'd be possible and worthwhile to set
up something like one of those cat scarers up in the top of the trees and
run them off lithium batteries to make sitting around there drinking
unpleasant for anyone with halfway decent hearing. Anyone got any ideas of
how much it'd cost and where to buy the kit (I can bodge stuff together DIY
quite happily).

righty, if nan has land, go up there with shotgun and scare the living
flux out of them with (optional mask/s) a few mates! if it dont work it
will be so much fun that a vid in test will do as payment for suggestion!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Doki wrote:
What I'm wondering about is whether it'd be possible and worthwhile to
set up something like one of those cat scarers up in the top of the
trees and run them off lithium batteries to make sitting around there
drinking unpleasant for anyone with halfway decent hearing. Anyone got
any ideas of how much it'd cost and where to buy the kit (I can bodge
stuff together DIY quite happily).

Any supersonic frequency will be very directional out of doors and need
more than a couple of lithium batteries to give sufficient power.

I'm talking biggish lithiums, probably from the army stores, not a set of
camera batteries. Or maybe a couple of AH worth of SLA. Would that be more
up to it?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doki wrote:
What I'm wondering about is whether it'd be possible and worthwhile to
set up something like one of those cat scarers up in the top of the
trees and run them off lithium batteries to make sitting around there
drinking unpleasant for anyone with halfway decent hearing. Anyone got
any ideas of how much it'd cost and where to buy the kit (I can bodge
stuff together DIY quite happily).

Any supersonic frequency will be very directional out of doors and need
more than a couple of lithium batteries to give sufficient power.

I'm talking biggish lithiums, probably from the army stores, not a set of
camera batteries. Or maybe a couple of AH worth of SLA. Would that be more
up to it?

Well, if it's directional, beam it to the target from your house and run it
off the mains -
A kilowatt of power is never going to be run off batteries for long anyway !

Nick

(Doing the same myself, but only with 100 watts to start with )

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 1 Sep 2006 17:40:32 +0100, "Steve Walker"
wrote:

..

Some question over the legality of a device which intentionally causes
discomfort & distress to a targeted group. Falls foul of public health
laws imho, statutory nuisance and all that. Might not apply in this case,
due to private land with no public right of access.

And if it did what rights should the op have to some peace and quiet
etc?

I know 'if we aren't part of the solution we are part of the problem'
but I am personally fed up taking on the parental role for local kids?

The really great thing is watching them grow up, kicking a football
against *their* first / new car and watching them in a panic whilst
just shrugging and saying 'sorry' ... ;-)

And isn't it funny how sort a memory their parents have ... when they
start moaning about 'local kids kicking footballs on our cars /
gardens / green houses ...' .. till I remind them of when their kids
were doing that a few years earlier and when told them doing nothing
about it ...

What goes round ... ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doki wrote:

[...]

But you only need to pulse it surely - 10% duty cycle, 1 Hz perhaps.
And you could always attach a PIR so it shuts up when they're not there.

Chris

--
Spamtrap in use
To email replace 127.0.0.1 with btinternet dot com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Huge wrote:
Mozart. Hire a string quartet.

Having felt the end of a cello bow jabbed into me that could work even
if they like classical music.

--
Spamtrap in use
To email replace 127.0.0.1 with btinternet dot com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Nick" wrote in message
news

!

Nick

(Doing the same myself, but only with 100 watts to start with )

Plenty of trees and foliage in the way which I suspect would shut it up. For
the time being I'm going to go down the route of opening up the area to
increase visibility and hope that fixes it. Lots of pain in the arse
problems with this idea, so I'll try the simple stuff first.