DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Dang! was looking for aluminium (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/174232-dang-looking-aluminium.html)

The3rd Earl Of Derby August 30th 06 06:19 AM

Dang! was looking for aluminium

on the internet to make finger plates for the dovetail jig and coming up
with expensive findings.

I didn't even think this stuff would be sold on ebay.
Lo&behold theres a machine shop just round the corner selling bloody
offcuts at reasonable prices.

Shat.
http://tinyurl.com/e963b

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

[email protected] August 30th 06 11:33 AM

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
on the internet to make finger plates for the dovetail jig and coming up
with expensive findings.

I didn't even think this stuff would be sold on ebay.
Lo&behold theres a machine shop just round the corner selling bloody
offcuts at reasonable prices.

Shat.
http://tinyurl.com/e963b

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

All diy men should visit the local scrapyard every few weeks or so.
you will get all sorts of things at scrap prices.
Its amazing what some people dump and they are mangled up.
I rarely visited one without coming away with a bargain.

The3rd Earl Of Derby August 30th 06 11:45 AM

wrote:
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
on the internet to make finger plates for the dovetail jig and
coming up with expensive findings.

I didn't even think this stuff would be sold on ebay.
Lo&behold theres a machine shop just round the corner selling bloody
offcuts at reasonable prices.

Shat.
http://tinyurl.com/e963b

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

All diy men should visit the local scrapyard every few weeks or so.
you will get all sorts of things at scrap prices.
Its amazing what some people dump and they are mangled up.
I rarely visited one without coming away with a bargain.

Whats a bargain look like? ;-)

I do want the allum in good condition ie not scratched.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

[email protected] August 30th 06 12:49 PM

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
Whats a bargain look like? ;-)

I do want the allum in good condition ie not scratched.

you might be lucky and get what you want but it will be cheap. Just
look around and be nice and they wont mind you snooping about.

Guy King August 30th 06 06:15 PM

Dang! was looking for aluminium

The message .com
from contains these words:

All diy men should visit the local scrapyard every few weeks or so.
you will get all sorts of things at scrap prices.

I need about 4' of 3" steel pipe. Can I bloody find any? Can I hell.

Well, of course, I can find plenty but I'd have to buy it.

--
Skipweasel

Bill August 30th 06 09:35 PM

Dang! was looking for aluminium

In message , Guy King
writes
The message .com
from contains these words:

All diy men should visit the local scrapyard every few weeks or so.
you will get all sorts of things at scrap prices.

I need about 4' of 3" steel pipe. Can I bloody find any? Can I hell.

Last time I wanted some I had a chat with a local council worker and a
day or so later a length appeared outside my door, complete with a bit
of old concrete. A lot of standalone road signs, no waiting etc. are 3"
dia' plastic coated steel.
What does your local council do with its scrap? May be worth a word.

Well, of course, I can find plenty but I'd have to buy it.

--
Bill

[email protected] August 30th 06 09:42 PM

Guy King wrote:

I need about 4' of 3" steel pipe. Can I bloody find any? Can I hell.

Well, of course, I can find plenty but I'd have to buy it.

--

If I wanted that I could get it any day easily and for a pound or
three or maybe free. Takes a bit of mooching but its there.

Guy King August 30th 06 10:42 PM

Dang! was looking for aluminium

The message . com
from contains these words:

If I wanted that I could get it any day easily and for a pound or
three or maybe free. Takes a bit of mooching but its there.

Where? Can't find any round here. Then again, 'cos Telford's all zoned
we don't have industrial units mixed in with the housing like we did in
Hounslow. One of the very few things I miss about London is the better
class of skip we got. On the rare occasion there's a skip round here
that you can get at people put such rubbish in it.

--
Skipweasel

[email protected] September 1st 06 03:55 PM

Guy King wrote:
Where? Can't find any round here. Then again, 'cos Telford's all

zoned
we don't have industrial units mixed in with the housing like we did in
Hounslow. One of the very few things I miss about London is the better
class of skip we got. On the rare occasion there's a skip round here
that you can get at people put such rubbish in it.

Next time you see a rag and bone man or a guy with a load of scrap get
out of your car and ask him where is the nearest scrap yard.

The3rd Earl Of Derby September 1st 06 06:09 PM

wrote:
Guy King wrote:
Where? Can't find any round here. Then again, 'cos Telford's all

zoned
we don't have industrial units mixed in with the housing like we did
in Hounslow. One of the very few things I miss about London is the
better class of skip we got. On the rare occasion there's a skip
round here that you can get at people put such rubbish in it.

Next time you see a rag and bone man or a guy with a load of scrap
get out of your car and ask him where is the nearest scrap yard.

What colour tabs you on? I've never ever seen one since the 60's

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Guy King September 1st 06 06:36 PM

Dang! was looking for aluminium

The message
from "The3rd Earl Of Derby" contains these words:

Next time you see a rag and bone man or a guy with a load of scrap
get out of your car and ask him where is the nearest scrap yard.

What colour tabs you on? I've never ever seen one since the 60's

We had one round here the other day. Only he went by too fast for me to
go out and have a rummage.

--
Skipweasel

[email protected] September 1st 06 06:39 PM

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
What colour tabs you on? I've never ever seen one since the 60's

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

they are about, my lord, but you must look carefully as they may not be
on the old horse and car now.
scrap metal is still big business today.

The3rd Earl Of Derby September 1st 06 06:42 PM

Guy King wrote:
The message
from "The3rd Earl Of Derby" contains these words:

Next time you see a rag and bone man or a guy with a load of scrap
get out of your car and ask him where is the nearest scrap yard.

What colour tabs you on? I've never ever seen one since the 60's

We had one round here the other day. Only he went by too fast for me
to go out and have a rummage.

You never saw the R&B man where I lived,you just heard him in the jigger
shouting,"Scrap Iron,Scrap Iron,Money for Scrap Iron".

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Guy King September 1st 06 07:27 PM

Dang! was looking for aluminium

The message
from "The3rd Earl Of Derby" contains these words:

You never saw the R&B man where I lived,you just heard him in the jigger
shouting,"Scrap Iron,Scrap Iron,Money for Scrap Iron".

Round here it's "Owd Oyin". I should imagine he hails from Dudloi.

--
Skipweasel

raden September 1st 06 08:54 PM

Dang! was looking for aluminium

In message , Guy King
writes
The message .com
from contains these words:

All diy men should visit the local scrapyard every few weeks or so.
you will get all sorts of things at scrap prices.

I need about 4' of 3" steel pipe. Can I bloody find any? Can I hell.

Well, of course, I can find plenty but I'd have to buy it.

Wossatfor?

Making a pipe bomb ?

--
geoff