Posted to uk.d-i-y
Yaz Yaz is offline

Default dried mortar marks

My builder carried out a messy pointing job on by facing brickwork. How can
re remove the dried out mortar. Removing it with a chisel is damaging the
brickface.

Yaz

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 19:00:22 GMT, "Yaz"
wrote:

My builder carried out a messy pointing job on by facing brickwork. How can
re remove the dried out mortar. Removing it with a chisel is damaging the
brickface.

Yaz

You can buy a brick cleaner - it is fairly corrosive so use it
sparingly - but it won't remove huge chunks of motar. It will remove
cement residue from the faces of bricks if applied with a stiff brush.

Martin
--
Martin J. Evans
Wetherby, UK
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yaz wrote:
My builder carried out a messy pointing job on by facing brickwork. How
can re remove the dried out mortar. Removing it with a chisel is
damaging the brickface.

Yaz

Disclean
http://www.harrison.inuk.com/buildin...rick%20Cleaner

Most hire shops or builders merchants stock it.

Why don't you get the builder back in?

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from Martin Evans contains these words:

You can buy a brick cleaner - it is fairly corrosive so use it
sparingly - but it won't remove huge chunks of motar. It will remove
cement residue from the faces of bricks if applied with a stiff brush.

Anyone know what it does to slate?

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 20:55:05 +0100, Guy King
wrote:

The message
from Martin Evans contains these words:

You can buy a brick cleaner - it is fairly corrosive so use it
sparingly - but it won't remove huge chunks of motar. It will remove
cement residue from the faces of bricks if applied with a stiff brush.

Anyone know what it does to slate?

No, I've not tried that but I did use mortar cleaner on my patio
(which is a circle of coloured cement blocks) after my mother in law
spilt a bottle of wood stain all over it and now that it has weathered
a bit you cannot tell. You can always dilute it down and try it and
increase the stength to see what happens. It is fairly corrosive but a
good wash with water afterwards should ensure no lasting effects.

Martin
--
Martin J. Evans
Wetherby, UK

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:
Yaz wrote:
My builder carried out a messy pointing job on by facing brickwork.

So he'll have to come back and sort it out then won't he, even if he has
to scrape every little blob by hand with a dremel.

Owain

Or a wire bush and some brick acid..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yaz wrote:

My builder carried out a messy pointing job on by facing brickwork. How can
re remove the dried out mortar. Removing it with a chisel is damaging the
brickface.

Lumps are removed with a rotary wire brush, pref in an angle grinder.
Dremel also ok for small amounts. But use care, these will rip into
bricks easily. Remaining film is removed with brick acid, which eats
mortar for breakfast.

Dont delay cos the mortar gets harder as the days pass. Clean up should
be done the next day.

NT