Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Unvented hot water.

Hi All,

So the time has finally come. Actually staying in hotel last week with
a fantastic shower was the last nail in the coffin for our pathetic
gravity feed system. We are going to investigate the price of having a
high pressure hot water system fitted.
Ive had a look at the heatweb website and am starting to educate myself
into the benefits of heat banks and megaflows. In our house (4 bed) we
have 3 bathrooms which consist of one bath, three showers and three
sinks plus the kitchen hot water (also 15 radiators). Its quite a big
system. Does anybody have any experience of fitting these type of
systems into an existing Yplan gravity feed system and what size of
unit would be required. I would like to be knowledgeable when the
prospective plumbers turn up to give me a quote for obvious reasons.
Is it a major job?

BTW how would I know if the mains water was high enough in terms of
pressure for use with such a system? Our mains riser in the kitchen
comes in through a large bore pipe (70's house) and is stepped down
straight away under the sink to 15mm for feeding the existing gravity
system.

Thanks for any advice,
Matthew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

BTW how would I know if the mains water was high enough in terms of
pressure for use with such a system? Our mains riser in the kitchen
comes in through a large bore pipe (70's house) and is stepped down
straight away under the sink to 15mm for feeding the existing gravity
system.

You need to measure the static pressure and the flow rate at the kitchen
tap. Try it at several times of day, specifically including the morning
"rush hour". You may have to contrive something to measure the pressure. In
actuality, the flow rate is more important, although static pressure can be
a good indicator of potential if you know the pipework to be well sized.

If all is OK, you will need a 210L (or thereabouts) unvented cylinder or
heatbank. If you live with greater than average numbers of teenage girls,
consider a slight upgrade.

Consider replacing the 15mm pipe with 22mm. Also consider running a
dedicated 22mm line from the stop cock to the HWC/heat bank. The output from
the heatbank should be in 15mm to reduce the hot water dead leg time and
wastage, especially if your pressure is good.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Christian McArdle wrote:

If all is OK, you will need a 210L (or thereabouts) unvented cylinder

My bath is 500x1500x300mm deep. It takes 225 liters to fill it.

I have a 700 liter tank, and sometimes that isn't enough..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

My bath is 500x1500x300mm deep. It takes 225 liters to fill it.

I have a 700 liter tank, and sometimes that isn't enough..

There is something wrong with your system if 700 litres won't fill a 225
litre bath.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Christian McArdle wrote:
My bath is 500x1500x300mm deep. It takes 225 liters to fill it.

I have a 700 liter tank, and sometimes that isn't enough..

There is something wrong with your system if 700 litres won't fill a 225
litre bath.

Christian.

Especially considering that you would expect some cold to be added as well

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Richard Conway" wrote in message
Christian McArdle wrote:
My bath is 500x1500x300mm deep. It takes 225 liters to fill it.

I have a 700 liter tank, and sometimes that isn't enough..

There is something wrong with your system if 700 litres won't fill

a 225
litre bath.

Christian.

Especially considering that you would expect some cold to be added

as well

Perhaps he's a serial bather G

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

There is something wrong with your system if 700 litres won't
fill a 225 litre bath.

Especially considering that you would expect some cold to be added
as well

Perhaps he's a serial bather G

With a decent boiler, this wouldn't matter, as it should be capable of
entirely regenerating the bath full of water in about 22 minutes. The 700
litre tank would provide about 1100 litres of bath water without any
regeneration at all, which is almost 5 of his oversized bath loads.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article .com,
Matthew wrote:
So the time has finally come. Actually staying in hotel last week with
a fantastic shower was the last nail in the coffin for our pathetic
gravity feed system.

Chances are the hotel had a gravity fed system...

We are going to investigate the price of having a high pressure hot
water system fitted.

Before that could you re-site the header tank up higher? You'd be amazed
how little extra height effects pressure if you're starting from near zero
head.

--
*Snowmen fall from Heaven unassembled*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 21 Aug 2006 16:40:56 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Christian McArdle wrote:

If all is OK, you will need a 210L (or thereabouts) unvented cylinder

My bath is 500x1500x300mm deep. It takes 225 liters to fill it.

I have a 700 liter tank, and sometimes that isn't enough..

Something wrong here...

1)The water in the bath is not pure HW so it will only consume around half
that quantity of HW.

2) Your bath is sized like most peoples however when you get in it, you
only need the water around you (as you will displace anything from 50-100
litres).

The received wisdom is that 70 litres of HW water needs to be stored per
bathroom. (Obvious teenage mermaids and "celebs" taking "hollywood
showers" make for a bit more still).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article .com,
Matthew wrote:
So the time has finally come. Actually staying in hotel last week with
a fantastic shower was the last nail in the coffin for our pathetic
gravity feed system.

Chances are the hotel had a gravity fed system...

Chances are it will not.

We are going to investigate the price
of having a high pressure hot
water system fitted.

Before that could

Will you please eff off as you are an idiot.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
[...]

Best go for a heat bank as unvented cylinders require an annual service of
approx £100. Heat bank can operate at higher pressures, usually meaning
good flows.

If having 15mm on the draw-offs, have a manifold at the heat bank, which
means all the DHW draw-offs go back to the one point

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Christian McArdle wrote:
My bath is 500x1500x300mm deep. It takes 225 liters to fill it.

I have a 700 liter tank, and sometimes that isn't enough..

There is something wrong with your system if 700 litres won't fill a 225
litre bath.

It will only fill three of them.
Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Richard Conway wrote:
Christian McArdle wrote:
My bath is 500x1500x300mm deep. It takes 225 liters to fill it.

I have a 700 liter tank, and sometimes that isn't enough..

There is something wrong with your system if 700 litres won't fill a
225 litre bath.

Christian.

Especially considering that you would expect some cold to be added as well

You don;t know much about my bathing habits so you?
OR about ,y wifes habit of leaving the kitchen sink hot tap running
while she wanders around thinking about something else entirely...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Christian McArdle wrote:

If all is OK, you will need a 210L (or thereabouts) unvented cylinder

My bath is 500x1500x300mm deep. It takes 225 liters to fill it.

I have a 700 liter tank, and sometimes that isn't enough..

Something wrong here...

1)The water in the bath is not pure HW so it will only consume around half
that quantity of HW.

2) Your bath is sized like most peoples however when you get in it, you
only need the water around you (as you will displace anything from 50-100
litres).

The received wisdom is that 70 litres of HW water needs to be stored per
bathroom. (Obvious teenage mermaids and "celebs" taking "hollywood
showers" make for a bit more still).

I never let received wisdom get in the way of personal experience.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

There is something wrong with your system if 700 litres won't fill a 225
litre bath.

It will only fill three of them.

Wow, you like your baths at 60C? Even with a cold bit at the bottom of the
cylinder, it should fill four.

If the only reason you need it so big is because your wife leaves the tap
on, I'd go for a much smaller tank, as it will waste less energy and
regenerate from cold quicker.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doctor Drivel wrote:
"Christian McArdle" wrote in message

Best go for a heat bank as unvented cylinders require an annual service of
approx £100.

I used to have an unvented system and I was never required to have or
to pay for a service.

Heat bank can operate at higher pressures, usually meaning
good flows.

If having 15mm on the draw-offs, have a manifold at the heat bank, which
means all the DHW draw-offs go back to the one point

My unvented system was at 1bar pressure but it had a reasonable flow
rate. My house now has a higher pressure but the flow is rubbish so
that really needs to be checked before anyone starts fitting the mains
fed systems.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
ps.com...

Doctor Drivel wrote:
"Christian McArdle" wrote in message

Best go for a heat bank as unvented cylinders require an annual service of
approx £100.

I used to have an unvented system and I was never required to have or
to pay for a service.

"Every" maker stipulates an annual service.

Heat bank can operate at higher pressures, usually meaning
good flows.

If having 15mm on the draw-offs, have a manifold at the heat bank, which
means all the DHW draw-offs go back to the one point

My unvented system was at 1bar pressure but it had a reasonable flow
rate. My house now has a higher pressure but the flow is rubbish so
that really needs to be checked before anyone starts fitting the mains
fed systems.

Yep. good pressure does not mean good flow. It can be improved greatly by
installing an accumulator.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doctor Drivel wrote:
I used to have an unvented system and I was never required to have or
to pay for a service.

"Every" maker stipulates an annual service.

Yeah but it's usally refreshing the bubble or checking the pressure
vessel, and a quick check of the safety valves all of which can be done
whenever you like in a matter of minutes. I don't know though these
days whether one still needs local council/water board approval to fit
one.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
ups.com...

Doctor Drivel wrote:
I used to have an unvented system and I was never required to have or
to pay for a service.

"Every" maker stipulates an annual service.

Yeah but it's usally refreshing the
bubble or checking the pressure
vessel, and a quick check of the
safety valves all of which can be done
whenever you like in a matter of minutes.

The service "has" to undertaken by an "approved" unnted certificate
installr. Thermal stores/heat banks can be DIYed and no annual service.
Have a leak and if no service and proof of service then no insurance payout.

I don't know though these
days whether one still needs local
council/water board approval to fit
one.

An unvented cylinder? Only an "approved" unvented certificate installer can
install one. It is againt the law to fit one otherwise, unless signed off by
a BCO.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Christian McArdle wrote:

If all is OK, you will need a 210L (or thereabouts) unvented cylinder
My bath is 500x1500x300mm deep. It takes 225 liters to fill it.

I have a 700 liter tank, and sometimes that isn't enough..

Something wrong here...

1)The water in the bath is not pure HW so it will only consume around half
that quantity of HW.

2) Your bath is sized like most peoples however when you get in it, you
only need the water around you (as you will displace anything from 50-100
litres).

The received wisdom is that 70 litres of HW water needs to be stored per
bathroom. (Obvious teenage mermaids and "celebs" taking "hollywood
showers" make for a bit more still).

I never let received wisdom get in the way of personal experience.

In which case something is not working aright.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Matthew wrote:
So the time has finally come. Actually staying in hotel last week with
a fantastic shower was the last nail in the coffin for our pathetic
gravity feed system.

Chances are the hotel had a gravity fed system...

Chances are it will not.

For once, this once at least, I agree with you.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

news

Matthew wrote:
So the time has finally come. Actually staying in hotel last week with
a fantastic shower was the last nail in the coffin for our pathetic
gravity feed system.

Chances are the hotel had a gravity fed system...

Chances are it will not.

For once, this once at least, I agree with you.

Best you always, as it will be much easier for you then.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Matthew wrote:
So the time has finally come. Actually staying in hotel last week with
a fantastic shower was the last nail in the coffin for our pathetic
gravity feed system.
Chances are the hotel had a gravity fed system...

Chances are it will not.

For once, this once at least, I agree with you.

Thats the trouble with huge quantities of high pressure hot water.

the temptation to stay luxuriating in it for hours...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doctor Drivel wrote:

The service "has" to undertaken by an "approved" unnted certificate
installr. Thermal stores/heat banks can be DIYed and no annual service.
Have a leak and if no service and proof of service then no insurance payout.

Says who?

An unvented cylinder? Only an "approved" unvented certificate installer can
install one. It is againt the law to fit one otherwise, unless signed off by
a BCO.

...but who-ever fits it also needs local approval. i.e the fitter still
needs to get approval to fit one, even if they're registered.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
oups.com...

Doctor Drivel wrote:

The service "has" to undertaken by
an "approved" unvented certificate
installer. Thermal stores/heat banks
can be DIYed and no annual service.
Have a leak and if no service and proof
of service then no insurance payout.

Says who?

The service? Having an unvented certificate? The government say that.
Payout by insurance? The insurance companies.

An unvented cylinder? Only an
"approved" unvented certificate installer can
install one. It is againt the law to fit one
otherwise, unless signed off by a BCO.

..but who-ever fits it also needs local
approval. i.e the fitter still needs to get
approval to fit one, even if they're registered.

He doesn't get approval. He fits it. He then registers the fitting with the
LA.