Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Brick cladding

I'm interested in replacing the cladding on the front of my house with what
I believe are called brick "slips" cladding, the original cladders scored
the underlying brick for keying purposes, hence the need to reclad.
(The original cladding is that horrible yellow Corrie style stuff) Can
anyone point me in the right direction for information on this, or relate
any experience they have had doing this, cost per sq Metre etc.
In anticipation
Thanks
MBS

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"MrBlueSkye" wrote:
I'm interested in replacing the cladding on the front of my house with
what
I believe are called brick "slips" cladding, the original cladders scored
the underlying brick for keying purposes, hence the need to reclad.
(The original cladding is that horrible yellow Corrie style stuff) Can
anyone point me in the right direction for information on this, or relate
any experience they have had doing this, cost per sq Metre etc.
In anticipation
Thanks
MBS

I don't know of any retailers who sell brick slips or cladding, but there
are lots of manufacturers and installers:
http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=brick+cladding&btnG=Google+Search&m eta=cr%3DcountryUK%7CcountryGB

Posted to uk.d-i-y

MrBlueSkye wrote:

I'm interested in replacing the cladding on the front of my house with what
I believe are called brick "slips" cladding, the original cladders scored
the underlying brick for keying purposes, hence the need to reclad.
(The original cladding is that horrible yellow Corrie style stuff) Can
anyone point me in the right direction for information on this, or relate
any experience they have had doing this, cost per sq Metre etc.

I've no relevant experience, but typing "brick slips" into Google (with
the string delimiters) produces 864 hits, or 605 if you search for
"pages from the UK."

thread_convergence
Brick slips can be used as the finishing layer on some external solid
wall insulation systems, overcoming the objections to a rendered finish.
So if you're going to brick clad anyway, and it's not a cavity walled
property, consider adding some insulation.

--
Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"MrBlueSkye" apbz91@noSpam dsl.pipex.com wrote in message
I'm interested in replacing the cladding on the front of my house with what
I believe are called brick "slips" cladding, the original cladders scored
the underlying brick for keying purposes, hence the need to reclad.
(The original cladding is that horrible yellow Corrie style stuff) Can
anyone point me in the right direction for information on this, or relate
any experience they have had doing this, cost per sq Metre etc.
In anticipation
Thanks
MBS

===========================
It's not clear from your post whether you're simply looking for a better looking
brick finish or for a complete new look. Removing the original 'Corrie' style
cladding will almost certainly involve some damage to the underlying brickwork
which has already suffered damage ('scored for keying purposes'). Getting a good
finish with new brick cladding over damaged brickwork is likely to be quite
difficult and even if the finish looks good it might conceal poor pointing and
cavities with possible water ingress. You will have no way of knowing until you
get damp patches on internal walls.

In this situation the best thing might be to have the house rendered after
removing the old cladding. Render is supposed to be going out of fashion but if
it's done well it gives a good weather-proof coating and a nice clean look.

Cic.

It has removed 281 spam emails to date.
Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cicero wrote:
[...]

Hear here

In this situation the best thing might be to have the house rendered after
removing the old cladding. Render is supposed to be going out of fashion but if
it's done well it gives a good weather-proof coating and a nice clean look.

But that I cant second. Render on walls that dont need it is just not a
good idea. Far better to patch repair the bricks if the damage isnt
excessive. All you need is mortar with a good colour match, and careful
use of it.

NT

Brick Cladding MrBlueSkye UK diy 0 August 18th 06 11:39 AM
Hardieplank versus vinyl fishman35 Home Repair 4 August 13th 06 02:55 AM
Brick Mold Installation on Replacement Window Nancie Home Repair 0 August 12th 06 06:41 AM
HELP! Brick siding pulling away Don Task Home Repair 2 December 27th 03 10:43 PM
How do you measure a brick wall's height? Dean UK diy 1 August 1st 03 06:41 PM