Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default I have just purchased ...

.. forty six foot long vacuum flasks.

Later I shall be having fun trying to fix them to a roof.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Firth writes:

. forty six foot long vacuum flasks.

Later I shall be having fun trying to fix them to a roof.

Dunno about the rest of you but my roof wouldn't take a forty six foot
anything.

Jon
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 16 Aug 2006 15:26:47 +0100, Steve Firth
wrote:

. forty six foot long vacuum flasks.

Later I shall be having fun trying to fix them to a roof.

Tartan pattern or just plain?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Firth wrote:
. forty six foot long vacuum flasks.

Later I shall be having fun trying to fix them to a roof.

Jesus! that'll hold some tea?

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
Steve Firth wrote:
. forty six foot long vacuum flasks.

Later I shall be having fun trying to fix them to a roof.

Jesus! that'll hold some tea?

He must have Tommy Walsh coming round!

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16 Aug 2006 15:21:30 GMT, Huge wrote:

Solar hot water, eh?

How much did that set you back?

I haven't got the final bill yet. The solar array is costing me £950. I'll
probably be spending another £1500 on controls and a heatbank. I'm being
difficult by wanting to take heat from every possible source, that's an LPG
boiler, immersion heater, back boiler and the solar array. The array is 5.6
m^2. You can get the same number of tubes for as little as £395, but those
are 47mm and the ones I got are 58mm.

For the immersion heater I'm considering having a wind generator and using
a couple of the 12 or 24volt heaters offered for use aboard boats. If not
those then a 240V wind generator. I'll have to check if the scaffold tube
used to take a small marine generator is going to be up to the job of
supporting a 1.5 or 3kW generator.

At the height of summer the array will probably produce much more heat than
I need so I'm planning to have a radiator outside the house as a diversion
load. I had thought to divert the heat into a heat store of some kind, and
since we're installing a rainwater catchment tank I wondered about using
that. The plumber advised against it, he thinks it will be breeding ground
for legionella if it is heated.

I'll check with someone more knowledgeable than a plumber and if it is a
really cack idea, I'll consider putting in a swimming pool. It's on the
cards anyway to have a half-buried swimming pool, possibly an infinity pool
on the terrace overlooking the mountains.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from Steve Firth contains these words:

.. forty six foot long vacuum flasks.

That's a lot of tea.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from "The3rd Earl Of Derby" contains these words:

Jesus! that'll hold some tea?

Bloody Thermosrays.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 16 Aug 2006 17:46:10 +0100, Owain wrote:

You either have teenagers or a Cray in the back bedroom

Knowing him, the last one is a possibility.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Steve Firth" wrote in message
On 16 Aug 2006 15:21:30 GMT, Huge wrote:

Solar hot water, eh?

How much did that set you back?

I haven't got the final bill yet. The solar array is costing me £950. I'll
probably be spending another £1500 on controls and a heatbank. I'm being
difficult by wanting to take heat from every possible source, that's an
LPG
boiler, immersion heater, back boiler and the solar array. The array is
5.6
m^2. You can get the same number of tubes for as little as £395, but those
are 47mm and the ones I got are 58mm.

Thats about 25p a days worth of heat in December.
About £2.50 a day in July if you can use that much hot water.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-08-16 17:15:37 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
Steve Firth wrote:
. forty six foot long vacuum flasks.

Later I shall be having fun trying to fix them to a roof.

Jesus! that'll hold some tea?

He must have Tommy Walsh coming round!

You mean somebody punched Tommy's lights out?
How come I missed it?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-08-16 17:15:37 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
Steve Firth wrote:
. forty six foot long vacuum flasks.

Later I shall be having fun trying to fix them to a roof.

Jesus! that'll hold some tea?

He must have Tommy Walsh coming round!

You mean somebody punched Tommy's lights out?
How come I missed it?

If you have ever seen Mr W in the flesh, you woukd have to be a WHB to punch
his lights out. He is king huge!

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-08-17 00:29:42 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"

On 2006-08-16 17:15:37 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
Steve Firth wrote:
. forty six foot long vacuum flasks.

Later I shall be having fun trying to fix them to a roof.

Jesus! that'll hold some tea?

He must have Tommy Walsh coming round!

You mean somebody punched Tommy's lights out?
How come I missed it?

If you have ever seen Mr W in the flesh, you woukd have to be a WHB to
punch his lights out. He is king huge!

One can but dream....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Firth wrote:
On Wed, 16 Aug 2006 17:46:10 +0100, Owain wrote:

You either have teenagers or a Cray in the back bedroom

Knowing him, the last one is a possibility.

And the first isn't.

It's a lotta leccy - lights are the major suspects. I've found the
latest low-energy bulbs to be quite acceptable (especially at 99p bogof
in Morrisons), but not everyone agrees, or has fittings in which they
are suitable.

The Cray remains a possibility ;-)

--
"My modem can beat up your modem."