Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Windowsill Repair

I've got an outside window sill to repair. It has a couple of cracks
that need to be filled. Do I just need to open them out and fill with
cement? How would the surface then need to be prepared for painting?

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"David" wrote in message

I've got an outside window sill to repair. It has a couple of cracks
that need to be filled. Do I just need to open them out and fill with
cement? How would the surface then need to be prepared for painting?

If the cracks are big you need to rip-saw off and refix a new (reclaimed)
sill length.

Otherwise, hack out well wide of the damage, fill with putty, after 2-3 days
prime twice (doing any neccessary sanding down) the finish with u/coat
(preferably twice) and top coat.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Roger Cain wrote:
I've got an outside window sill to repair. It has a couple of cracks
that need to be filled. Do I just need to open them out and fill with
cement? How would the surface then need to be prepared for painting?

If the cracks are big you need to rip-saw off and refix a new
(reclaimed) sill length.

Otherwise, hack out well wide of the damage, fill with putty, after 2-3
days prime twice (doing any neccessary sanding down) the finish with
u/coat (preferably twice) and top coat.

Sounds like it's a stone sill?

--
*If all is not lost, where the hell is it?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.