Posted to uk.telecom,alt.usage.english,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

Default [OT] Is it "post code" or "postcode" ?

This sort of thing may not matter most of the time but search engines
seem to be quite fussy about the way it is spelt ......

In UK English, which is the correct term?

"post code" or "postcode"

Is it too old fashioned to still say the following?

"postal code" (or even "postalcode")

Does the spelling/spacing in US English differ from UK English?
Posted to uk.telecom,alt.usage.english,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

Jim had it:

This sort of thing may not matter most of the time but search engines
seem to be quite fussy about the way it is spelt ......

In UK English, which is the correct term?

"post code" or "postcode"

Is it too old fashioned to still say the following?

"postal code" (or even "postalcode")

Does the spelling/spacing in US English differ from UK English?

I think we have to take the opinion of the Royal Mail into account
since they probably own the copyright:
https://www.royalmail.com/

They use "Postcode" throughout, invariably with the capital P even
when it's just a word in the middle of a sentence.

--
David
=====
Posted to uk.telecom,alt.usage.english,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

"Jim" wrote in message
This sort of thing may not matter most of the time but search engines
seem to be quite fussy about the way it is spelt ......

snip

I would go with Postcode, as that's the way it's referenced to by Royal
Mail.

--
Scorpio

Posted to uk.telecom,alt.usage.english,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

Postcode. https://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/...r?catId=400145

Is it too old fashioned to still say the following?

"postal code" (or even "postalcode")

"postal code", of course.

All IMO.

Does the spelling/spacing in US English differ from UK English?

**** knows. They don't call it a postcode at all do they. It's a ZIP code
over there.

Posted to uk.telecom,alt.usage.english,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

"the Omrud" wrote in message
. ..
Jim had it:

This sort of thing may not matter most of the time but search engines
seem to be quite fussy about the way it is spelt ......

In UK English, which is the correct term?

"post code" or "postcode"

Is it too old fashioned to still say the following?

"postal code" (or even "postalcode")

Does the spelling/spacing in US English differ from UK English?

I think we have to take the opinion of the Royal Mail into account
since they probably own the copyright:
https://www.royalmail.com/

They use "Postcode" throughout, invariably with the capital P even
when it's just a word in the middle of a sentence.

The very first paragraph says "Our postcode and address finder...", no
capital there.

Posted to uk.telecom,alt.usage.english,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 16:52:44 +0100 Jim wrote :
In UK English, which is the correct term?

"post code" or "postcode"

Google gives 33.9m hits on postcode, 13.5m on "post code" for UK
sites. Postcode is correct IMO, especially since it's the term used
by the Post Office.

Is it too old fashioned to still say the following?

"postal code" (or even "postalcode")

Never heard postalcode, and postal code would sound odd.

Posted to uk.telecom,alt.usage.english,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

Carl Farrington
had it:

"the Omrud" wrote in message
. ..
Jim had it:

This sort of thing may not matter most of the time but search engines
seem to be quite fussy about the way it is spelt ......

In UK English, which is the correct term?

"post code" or "postcode"

Is it too old fashioned to still say the following?

"postal code" (or even "postalcode")

Does the spelling/spacing in US English differ from UK English?

I think we have to take the opinion of the Royal Mail into account
since they probably own the copyright:
https://www.royalmail.com/

They use "Postcode" throughout, invariably with the capital P even
when it's just a word in the middle of a sentence.

The very first paragraph says "Our postcode and address finder...", no
capital there.

You're right by golly. They are inconsistent.

For example, the PAF Data page uses the capitalised version
throughout:
http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/j...5&catId=400084

"With PAF you can sort your mail with full and correct Postcodes,
which could help reduce your postage costs with our Workshare
services, Mailsort, Presstream and Clean Mail."

But the "My Mail is Lost" page uses lower case:

"By including a postcode on any letter or parcel we are able to sort
and send post quicker and more efficiently."

--
David
=====
Posted to uk.telecom,alt.usage.english,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

In article , Jim
writes
This sort of thing may not matter most of the time but search engines
seem to be quite fussy about the way it is spelt ......

In UK English, which is the correct term?

"post code" or "postcode"

The Compact Oxford English Dictionary recognises "postcode". It doesn't
give it an initial capital letter.

http://www.askoxford.com/concise_oed/postcode?view=uk

--
John Blundell

Posted to uk.telecom,alt.usage.english,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 17:13:34 +0100, Carl Farrington wrote:

"Carl Farrington" wrote
in message ...

snip

**** knows. They don't call it a postcode at all do they. It's a ZIP code
over there.

Following up on that..
(from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zip_code):

But Wikipedia isn't an authorative reference. After all, more or less
anyone, you and me included, can contribute. :-)

--
the dot wanderer at tesco dot net
Posted to uk.telecom,alt.usage.english,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

Default Is it "post code" or "postcode" ?

Carl Farrington wrote:

(snip)

Following up on that..
(from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zip_code):
"This article is about the United States only. For the equivalent to ZIP
codes in other countries, see Postal code.
A ZIP code is the postal code used by the..."

I guess this covers it mostly then. Postcode would IMO be a UK word, like a
Royal Mail trademark/registered-term. A Postcode, much like a ZIP code, is a
type of "postal code".

I think that's a good summary of the situation. I wouldn't bother with
the capital 'P' in postcode - it makes it look odd, like a brand name,
and whilst I presume it could be regarded as a brand of Royal Mail,
it's so much part of the language that I think most of the time
(outside of Royal Mail at least) it's spelt with a lowercase 'p'.

Posted to uk.telecom,alt.usage.english,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

"The Wanderer" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 17:13:34 +0100, Carl Farrington wrote:

"Carl Farrington"
wrote
in message ...

snip

**** knows. They don't call it a postcode at all do they. It's a ZIP
code
over there.

Following up on that..
(from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zip_code):

But Wikipedia isn't an authorative reference. After all, more or less
anyone, you and me included, can contribute. :-)

Quite right, but I do tend to find the quality of content to be rather good.

Posted to uk.telecom,alt.usage.english,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 Carl Farrington wrote:

(from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zip_code):
"This article is about the United States only. For the equivalent to ZIP
codes in other countries, see Postal code.
A ZIP code is the postal code used by the...

That is how I understand it. Postal code is the generic term. The type
of postal code used in the USA is called zip code, that used in the UK
is called postcode.
--
Thoss
Posted to uk.telecom,alt.usage.english,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

I think we have to take the opinion of the Royal Mail into account
since they probably own the copyright:
https://www.royalmail.com/

The Royal Mail eh?? They have managed to change the name of
where I live from Milton of Straloch to Milton Cottages.... and on
whose authority I'd like to know. I keep getting letters from the TVLRO
to say I haven't got a license, I have of course got one. Eventually we
worked it out that it was due to this name change. The Royal Mail said
they got it from the Local Council, the Local Council say they get it
from Ordbnance Survey who in turn get it from................. yes, the
Royal Mail. It is just jobs for the Boys as usual, create a mess and
your job is secure for another couple of years while "We" sort it out.

We're just run by "Merchant Bankers"

Posted to uk.telecom,alt.usage.english,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

Tony Bryer wrote:
On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 16:52:44 +0100 Jim wrote :
In UK English, which is the correct term?

"post code" or "postcode"

Google gives 33.9m hits on postcode, 13.5m on "post code" for UK
sites. Postcode is correct IMO, especially since it's the term used
by the Post Office.

Is it too old fashioned to still say the following?

"postal code" (or even "postalcode")

Never heard postalcode, and postal code would sound odd.

Postal Code would be a correct English description. However, the
product name chosen by the Royal Mail is Postcode. As opposed to the
USPS which used the term Zip (Zone Improvement Plan) code. Or, the
Indian post office which uses PIN for Postal Index Number. Incidently
the terms used by Spain and Mexico are quite different. I don't have
the information to hand just now.

S.

Posted to uk.telecom,alt.usage.english,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

In message , Jim
writes
This sort of thing may not matter most of the time but search engines
seem to be quite fussy about the way it is spelt ......

In UK English, which is the correct term?

"post code" or "postcode"
Is it too old fashioned to still say the following?
"postal code" (or even "postalcode")

I'd say postcode

and you're in danger of becoming a sad individual

--
geoff

Posted to uk.telecom,alt.usage.english,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

"scorpio18" wrote in message

"Jim" wrote in message
This sort of thing may not matter most of the time but search engines
seem to be quite fussy about the way it is spelt ......

snip

I would go with Postcode, as that's the way it's referenced

referred

to by Royal
Mail.

Adrian

Posted to uk.telecom,alt.usage.english,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

thoss wrote:
On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 Carl Farrington wrote:

(from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zip_code):
"This article is about the United States only. For the equivalent to ZIP
codes in other countries, see Postal code.
A ZIP code is the postal code used by the...

That is how I understand it. Postal code is the generic term. The type
of postal code used in the USA is called zip code, that used in the UK
is called postcode.

Some US companies have a disastrous habit of putting the UK postcode on
the last line of the delivery address. This means the package is
returned by the USPS to the sender as undeliverable! No doubt US
secretaries are trained to put the ZIP code last, not thinking that the
package has to get out of the US for the UK postcode to work.

Hugh

--

Hugh Newbury

Running Linux Suse 10.1 in deepest Dorset
Posted to uk.telecom,alt.usage.english,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

Jim wrote:
This sort of thing may not matter most of the time but search engines
seem to be quite fussy about the way it is spelt ......

It's not the search engine being fussy, "post code" and "postcode" are
quite distinct search terms and the search engine will only serch for
what you tell it to search for. Garbage in - garbage out. Search
engines search against what other people have written not what may be
deemed correct.

If it really matters to you, use the advanced search option to search
for postcode or "post code". The quotes are significant, otherwise you
will get evey document containing "post" or "code".

Try reading http://www.google.com/intl/en/help/refinesearch.html

MBQ

Posted to uk.telecom,alt.usage.english,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

Thus spaketh :
I think we have to take the opinion of the Royal Mail into account
since they probably own the copyright:
https://www.royalmail.com/

The Royal Mail eh?? They have managed to change the name of
where I live from Milton of Straloch to Milton Cottages.... and on
whose authority I'd like to know. I keep getting letters from the
TVLRO to say I haven't got a license, I have of course got one.
Eventually we worked it out that it was due to this name change. The
Royal Mail said they got it from the Local Council, the Local Council
say they get it from Ordbnance Survey who in turn get it
from................. yes, the Royal Mail. It is just jobs for the
Boys as usual, create a mess and your job is secure for another
couple of years while "We" sort it out.

We're just run by "Merchant Bankers"

The address for people who live in Coleshill, North Warwickshire is.

[Address Line 1]
Coleshill
BIRMINGHAM
B46 . . .

Even the local council uses the postal address.

--
Caller Display units for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk
Posted to uk.telecom,alt.usage.english,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

Default Google searching [ Is it "post code" or "postcode" ?]

What I really like about the Postcode is
.......................................... absolutely nothing. I mean
to say, there I am driving through Brighton and you can see the signs,
"Oh look! We're in BN15FL now and there's 3FL just up the road. It
stands out like Bogs Boll--x doesn't it. There's nothing wrong with
conventional well maintained sign posts. They never had LapTops and a
pile of CD's way back when.....

Chris.

Posted to uk.telecom,alt.usage.english,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

{{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:

The address for people who live in Coleshill, North Warwickshire is.

[Address Line 1]
Coleshill
BIRMINGHAM
B46 . . .

Even the local council uses the postal address.

Pah...
You think you have problems....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/County_of_Avon

Avon hasn't existed for 10 years yet you are still forced to put "Avon"
in those cumpolsory county fields on web-sites, and we still have Avon &
Somerst Police and Fire services.

Actually, on reflection being classed as "Birmingham" would be far worse.

:¬)

http://Water-Rower.co.uk - Worlds best prices on the Worlds best Rower.

Posted to uk.telecom,alt.usage.english,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬) wrote:
{{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:

The address for people who live in Coleshill, North Warwickshire is.

[Address Line 1]
Coleshill
BIRMINGHAM
B46 . . .

Even the local council uses the postal address.

that would be Birmingham as the 'Post town'

post townsand post codes have little respect of traditional borders -
viz the amount of both historic and post 1974 lincolnshire with
Nottingham, Peterborough and Doncaster Postcodes despite the existance
of the Lincoln LN postcode

Posted to uk.telecom,alt.usage.english,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

"Martyn H" wrote in message
ups.com...

Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬) wrote:
{{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:

The address for people who live in Coleshill, North Warwickshire is.

[Address Line 1]
Coleshill
BIRMINGHAM
B46 . . .

Even the local council uses the postal address.

that would be Birmingham as the 'Post town'

post townsand post codes have little respect of traditional borders -
viz the amount of both historic and post 1974 lincolnshire with
Nottingham, Peterborough and Doncaster Postcodes despite the existance
of the Lincoln LN postcode

The Shrewsbury postcode reaches as far as Aberystwyth.

--
Ray
UK

Posted to uk.telecom,alt.usage.english,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

"Adrian Bailey" wrote in message
. ..
"scorpio18" wrote in message

"Jim" wrote in message
This sort of thing may not matter most of the time but search engines
seem to be quite fussy about the way it is spelt ......

snip

I would go with Postcode, as that's the way it's referenced

referred

to by Royal
Mail.

Adrian

Fussy bugger

--
Scorpio

Posted to uk.telecom,alt.usage.english,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

Hugh Newbury wrote:

thoss wrote:

On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 Carl Farrington wrote:

(from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zip_code):
"This article is about the United States only. For the equivalent to ZIP
codes in other countries, see Postal code.
A ZIP code is the postal code used by the...

That is how I understand it. Postal code is the generic term. The type
of postal code used in the USA is called zip code, that used in the UK
is called postcode.

Some US companies have a disastrous habit of putting the UK postcode on
the last line of the delivery address. This means the package is
returned by the USPS to the sender as undeliverable! No doubt US
secretaries are trained to put the ZIP code last, not thinking that the
package has to get out of the US for the UK postcode to work.

Most of our envelopes have boxes for the postcode. Since, in Australia,
this is only 4 digits, it's pretty much a give-away that I shouldn't
write a US or UK postcode there. Still, it is confusing. I tend to write
them down the bottom next to the country, which I always write bottom
left, separate from the rest of the address.

--
Rob Bannister
Posted to uk.telecom,alt.usage.english,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

Robert Bannister wrote:

Most of our envelopes have boxes for the postcode. Since, in Australia,
this is only 4 digits, it's pretty much a give-away that I shouldn't
write a US or UK postcode there. Still, it is confusing. I tend to write
them down the bottom next to the country, which I always write bottom
left, separate from the rest of the address.

I wonder if I've still got that envelope from Krasnoyarsk near the end
of the USSR...I don't know if they later felt compelled to change the
hammer-and-sickle postmark design, but I always admired the sensible
addressing scheme: country on the first line, then city and region
(oblast or other state-equivalent), then street and house-number, and
finally the addressee's name...go from the general to the specific,
like they taught us in school....

(And then the US Postal Service gets all ooky because everything but
the first and last line are in the Cyrillic alphabet)....r

Posted to uk.telecom,alt.usage.english,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

R H Draney wrote:

Robert Bannister wrote:

Most of our envelopes have boxes for the postcode. Since, in Australia,
this is only 4 digits, it's pretty much a give-away that I shouldn't
write a US or UK postcode there. Still, it is confusing. I tend to write
them down the bottom next to the country, which I always write bottom
left, separate from the rest of the address.

I wonder if I've still got that envelope from Krasnoyarsk near the end
of the USSR...I don't know if they later felt compelled to change the
hammer-and-sickle postmark design, but I always admired the sensible
addressing scheme: country on the first line, then city and region
(oblast or other state-equivalent), then street and house-number, and
finally the addressee's name...go from the general to the specific,
like they taught us in school....

Ah, I remember when it used to be like that in Germany, but they had to
go all international.

--
Rob Bannister
Posted to uk.telecom,alt.usage.english,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

In message , mUs1Ka
writes
"Martyn H" wrote in message
oups.com...

Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬) wrote:
{{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:

The address for people who live in Coleshill, North Warwickshire is.

[Address Line 1]
Coleshill
BIRMINGHAM
B46 . . .

Even the local council uses the postal address.

that would be Birmingham as the 'Post town'

post townsand post codes have little respect of traditional borders -
viz the amount of both historic and post 1974 lincolnshire with
Nottingham, Peterborough and Doncaster Postcodes despite the existance
of the Lincoln LN postcode

The Shrewsbury postcode reaches as far as Aberystwyth.

I should bloody well hope so

We're taking over Worcestershire next

--
geoff
Posted to uk.telecom,alt.usage.english,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Robert Bannister writes:
R H Draney wrote:

Robert Bannister wrote:

[...]

Telephone numbers tend to follow that sensible structure too, often
something rather like: country, area, exchange, subscriber.

Also, when data networks weren't all TCP/IP and Internet, in the UK a
network naming structure for things like email was emerging which
followed the same sensible order (e.g. uk.ac.camford.eng).
Unfortunately it was eventually overwhelmed by the back-to-front style
which became adopted for domain naming on the Internet.

Web URLs follow the same logical general-to-specific structure too, e.g.
http://www.ofcom.org.uk/telecoms/ioi/numbers/100806.pdf
marred only my the back-to-front domain name part in it.

--
Tim Clark

Posted to uk.telecom,alt.usage.english,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 Tim Clark wrote:

In article ,
Robert Bannister writes:
R H Draney wrote:

Robert Bannister wrote:

[...]

At least all of those have a logical structure of going from large step
by step to small, or small step by step to large. And that's also the
way it is with dates on this side of the pond. But what are we to make
of the American date format month/day/year?

(At first I did a typo there and put month/day/tear. Very apt, I
thought.)
--
Thoss
Posted to uk.telecom,alt.usage.english,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

[...]

I remember studying at "uk.ac.shef" and chatting over JANET to my mates
at uk.ac.newc. Ah they were the days. I never understood the American
trend (in dates and URLs alike) to go from specific to general and back
again. Or put another way: in dates to go from mid-importance to
least-importance to most-importance.

And don't get me started on their time format: hh:mm AM/PM. So you see
crap like 06:45 PM - AARGH! I was taught to use the 24-hour clock and
if you specify a leading zero that means AM implicitly.

al