Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default MDF bath panel behind tiles was getting wet - shuould I be worried?

Hi ,

Just want to get your opinion on something that has happened in my bathroom.

I recently had a new bathroom fitted. A bathpanel was made out of moisture
resistant MDF which was then tiled over.

However due to the tilers failure to properly seal area where the floor
tiles meet the bath panel tiles, water got into the wood over the last three
months of showering. I noticed this because one of the bathpanel tiles
started to protrude.

The tiller came to fix it when I told him.

On removing the tiles it seemed that the MDF had been soaking up the water
and it creeping upwards. This had led to a good lot of black stuff on all
the bottom of the wood (I assume this is mould) and this is what had pushed
the tile out.

He has now repaired the tiles that were popping out, and is going to return
to do the siliconing in a few days.

However, I was slightly worried that permanent damage may have been done.
Basically the water was getting in and soaking into the wood, and creeping
upwards. The bottom 2- 3 inches or so was black when he removed the tiles.

Although the tiles have been placed over, and silicon will be applied so
water should now stay out.
Is this something I should be worried about. The tiller seems to think it
will be find and dry out naturally, even though we did not give any time for
the wood to try without the tiles on.

Any advice is appreciated.

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David Smithz wrote:
However due to the tilers failure to properly seal area where the floor
tiles meet the bath panel tiles, water got into the wood over the last three
months of showering. I noticed this because one of the bathpanel tiles
started to protrude.

The root cause of the problem is water getting _out_ of the bath and
onto the floor in the first place. You need to fit a bigger shower
screen and/or modify your showering behaviour. A wet floor is a recipe
for disaster when stepping out of the bath. At the very least, put a
bathmat down on the floor when showering to catch any splashes and give
you a non-slip surface.

MBQ