Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Windsock fixing?

I'm looking for a fixing I can put on a pole to attach a windsock to.

The rope from the windsock used to just be screwed to the top of a pole but
it kept just wrapping itself around the pole.

What I need is something like a cars wheel bearing that I can attach the
rope to and that way it is free to spin around in the wind.

Anyone any ideas?

Cheers

Steven.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from "Steven Campbell" contains these words:

What I need is something like a cars wheel bearing that I can attach the
rope to and that way it is free to spin around in the wind.

Anyone any ideas?

I think you've answered your question. Find a discarded bike (there are
usually plenty about - the metal skip a our dump is full of 'em) and use
one of the many bearings therefrom.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

on 01/08/2006, Guy King supposed :
The message
from "Steven Campbell" contains these words:

What I need is something like a cars wheel bearing that I can attach the
rope to and that way it is free to spin around in the wind.

Anyone any ideas?

I think you've answered your question. Find a discarded bike (there are
usually plenty about - the metal skip a our dump is full of 'em) and use
one of the many bearings therefrom.

Use the entire wheel - fixing the spindle to the pole top and the
windsock on the rim.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from Harry Bloomfield contains these words:

Use the entire wheel - fixing the spindle to the pole top and the
windsock on the rim.

Or a pedal - they have the advantage of shielding the bearing from the
rain 'cos of the end cap.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 1 Aug 2006 20:42:14 +0100, Steven Campbell wrote:

I'm looking for a fixing I can put on a pole to attach a windsock to.

The rope from the windsock used to just be screwed to the top of a pole

but
it kept just wrapping itself around the pole.

What I need is something like a cars wheel bearing that I can attach

the
rope to and that way it is free to spin around in the wind.

Anyone any ideas?

Cheers

Steven.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 1 Aug 2006 20:42:14 +0100, Steven Campbell wrote:

I'm looking for a fixing I can put on a pole to attach a windsock to.

Large fishing swivel? Though that might not help the rope wrapping around
the pole. Have a look to see what is on offer from kite shops, many sell
poles and windsocks.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steven Campbell wrote:

I'm looking for a fixing I can put on a pole to attach a windsock to.

The rope from the windsock used to just be screwed to the top of a pole but
it kept just wrapping itself around the pole.

What I need is something like a cars wheel bearing that I can attach the
rope to and that way it is free to spin around in the wind.

Anyone any ideas?

Th ekite people will sell you a very whippy, telescopic fibreglass pole
to fly a small windsock from. The end section is about 3mm in diameter
and the line is fixed to that. The theory is that when the windsock
flies, the tip flexes to such a degree that it bends over away from the
wind and the cord pulls free and untangles itself.

Under certain conditions that does actually happen, but for the rest of
the time it just tangles, just like you always knew it would.

I made quite a nice swivel for a small windsock by using an inch or two
of 3mm ID brass tubing ( from a model shop ) and plugging the end with
solder. I then drilled it through, so that the solder acted as a white
metal bearing for a swivel made from brazing wire. The other end was
then polugged with solder and the drill passed through the first hole
and then drilled through the second plug. Hopefully the two holes should
be aligned.

The rotating part was made from brazing wire, with a small washer
soldered on either side of thar sleeve. The sleeve could be mounted in
various ways. I elected to silver solder a flange on before making the
bearings.

The end of the swilvel part was bent over at right angles and a small
loop formed at the end.

It does still tangle very occasionally, but far less than anything else
I've used, but it does look neat.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

What I need is something like a cars wheel bearing that I can attach the
rope to and that way it is free to spin around in the wind.

A windsock isn't usually on a rope. The standard airfield windsock
has a metal ring at the mouth. The top of this attaches to a simple
swivel in the top of the pole and the bottom has a ring which slides
loosely over the pole.

ooooor wwwwwwwwwwwwwww
xox r wwwwwwwwwwwwwww
xox r wwwwwwwwwwwwwww
r xxx r r wwwwwwwwwwwwwww
xxx
xxx
xxx

A more complicated design is at
http://www.huffyswindsocks.com/img33.gif

An alternative is the swivelling arm shown at the bottom of this
page:- http://www.piggotts.co.uk/flags-windsocks.htm

and here

http://www.flightstore.co.uk/mcwilliams_windsock_swivel_arm_for_3ft_4ft_windsoc ks.pilot.supplies/use.id.5.item_id.1613.dept.190.dept_l2.196.dept_l3 .0/

for very small socks have a look at
http://www.colors-wind.com/accessories/sockpoles.htm for some ideas.

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Thanks everybody for the help. It is proving harder than I thought.