Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

Default Wiring and MCB for double ovens

Can someone let me know what size cabling and MCBs a modern double oven
needs. (I'll be using a gas hob)

I've heard you can run some ovens off a 13amp socket but as I'll be taking
the floors up shortly I'd rather put in a dedicated circuit now if it's
required.

Thanks

Jim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim

Since the end of 2004 this sort of work has to be done by a qualified
electrician if you are in the UK.

Glide

"Jim" wrote in message
. ..
Can someone let me know what size cabling and MCBs a modern double oven
needs. (I'll be using a gas hob)

I've heard you can run some ovens off a 13amp socket but as I'll be taking
the floors up shortly I'd rather put in a dedicated circuit now if it's
required.

Thanks

Jim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 14:16:16 +0100, "Glide" wrote:

Jim

Since the end of 2004 this sort of work has to be done by a qualified
electrician if you are in the UK.

Tosh.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 14:16:16 +0100, Glide wrote:

Jim

Since the end of 2004 this sort of work has to be done by a qualified
electrician if you are in the UK.

Glide

You don't know where he is installing it!. No mention of a kitchen. And
plse don't top post.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

OK, not sure what difference this makes but the CU is in the hall, I plan to
come from there up inside the wall, through the house under the upstairs
floorboards and then down into the kitchen.

I'm not an expert but would consider myself 'competant'.

Cheers

Jim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim" wrote in message
. ..
Can someone let me know what size cabling and MCBs a modern double oven
needs. (I'll be using a gas hob)

I've heard you can run some ovens off a 13amp socket but as I'll be taking
the floors up shortly I'd rather put in a dedicated circuit now if it's
required.

Thanks

Jim

It depends on the oven, how long the cable run is, and what the cable is
encased in on the way...

I would probably install 6mm to future proof it as much as is practical.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Frank Erskine" wrote in message
On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 14:16:16 +0100, "Glide" wrote:

Jim

Since the end of 2004 this sort of work has to be done by a qualified
electrician if you are in the UK.

Tosh.

He can't install a circuit in a wet room, or a new circuit anywhere. He can
get in touch with the Building Control dept, pay about £90-100 and they will
inspect, and anyone can do it then.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 15:22:06 +0000, Jim wrote:

OK, not sure what difference this makes but the CU is in the hall, I
plan to come from there up inside the wall, through the house under the
upstairs floorboards and then down into the kitchen.

I'm not an expert but would consider myself 'competant'.

Cheers

Jim

Kitchens and Bathrooms are classed under Part P of the Building Regs as
special locations. This means in theory you need to get an electrician in
or inform Building control if you diy. Wether you wish to do either is up
to you. If you do
decide to diy you will at the very least need to calculate voltage drop
for the run of cable, this among other factors such as temp derating will
affect the cable size and the fusing requirements. Any further questions,
we have some very good people on here who will provide answers. A search
on here for previous posts about kitchen wiring will give you a lot of
info.

HTH

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

He can't install a circuit in a wet room, or a new circuit anywhere. He can
get in touch with the Building Control dept, pay about £90-100 and they will
inspect, and anyone can do it then.

House MOT time coming up....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-07-29 17:18:28 +0100, "Doctor Drivel" said:

"Frank Erskine" wrote in message
On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 14:16:16 +0100, "Glide" wrote:

Jim

Since the end of 2004 this sort of work has to be done by a qualified
electrician if you are in the UK.

Tosh.

He can't install a circuit in a wet room, or a new circuit anywhere.

Yes he can.

The issue is about the bureaucracy before, during and afterwards.

He can get in touch with the Building Control dept, pay about £90-100
and they will inspect, and anyone can do it then.

He could also choose to do none of this subsidy of Prescott jobsworths
and apply for a regularisation at some point in th future at about the
same price.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-07-29 17:33:51 +0100, gort said:

He can't install a circuit in a wet room, or a new circuit anywhere.
He can get in touch with the Building Control dept, pay about £90-100
and they will inspect, and anyone can do it then.

House MOT time coming up....

Yes. This is tape number 23. The Larch..... The... Larch....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 18:14:21 +0100, me9 wrote:

On 29 Jul,
Andy Hall wrote:

He could also choose to do none of this subsidy of Prescott jobsworths
and apply for a regularisation at some point in th future at about the
same price.

Our council charges 20% on top of the normal charge for regularisation.

Thought they could not do that any more.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-07-29 18:14:21 +0100, said:

On 29 Jul, Andy Hall wrote:

He could also choose to do none of this subsidy of Prescott jobsworths
and apply for a regularisation at some point in th future at about the
same price.

Our council charges 20% on top of the normal charge for regularisation.

Possibly, but I have a feeling that a normal application is subject to
VAT and a regularisation one isn't and it therefore comes out about
evens.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-07-29 17:18:28 +0100, "Doctor Drivel" said:

"Frank Erskine" wrote in message
On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 14:16:16 +0100, "Glide" wrote:

Jim

Since the end of 2004 this sort of work has to be done by a qualified
electrician if you are in the UK.

Tosh.

He can't install a circuit in a wet room, or a new circuit anywhere.

Yes he can.

The issue is about the bureaucracy before, during and afterwards.

snip the rest of Matts drivel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jim wrote:
Can someone let me know what size cabling and MCBs a modern double oven
needs. (I'll be using a gas hob)

I've heard you can run some ovens off a 13amp socket but as I'll be
taking the floors up shortly I'd rather put in a dedicated circuit now
if it's required.

It depends on the ovens. My Neff double oven takes too much current to be
fed from a 13 amp supply. Single ovens sometimes can, though.

If you're re-wiring, I'd put in a 10mm T&E fed from a 45 amp MCB with a
cooker isolater and be future proofed for any subsequent installation.

--
*Two wrongs are only the beginning *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ews.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
He can't install a circuit in a wet room, or a new circuit anywhere.

Can't he? Does the hand of god come out of the sky and prevent it?

He can get in touch with the Building Control dept, pay about £90-100
and they will inspect, and anyone can do it then.

Why would anyone bother?

--
*Horn broken. - Watch for finger.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" through a haze of senile
flatulence wrote in message ...
In article ews.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:

He can't install a circuit in a wet room, or a new circuit anywhere.

Can't he?

snip senile drivel

A total moron indeed trying to get people to break the law.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ews.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
snip senile drivel

181

--
*It was recently discovered that research causes cancer in rats*