Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Attic tank cleaning

Hello all,

I have moved into a house with an attic tank that has been there for
about 9 years. It is plastic, which is good I guess, but was neglected
by not being covered, so an awful lot of crap looks to have gotten into
it, and seems to be affecting the water in the bathroom. I was thinking
about just replacing it with a fresh lidded one, but how feasible would
it be to clean myself, bearing in mind it is elevated, so very tricky
to reach in and clean? Plus even if I drain it, plenty of water is left
at the bottom, creating further grief.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

None wrote:
Hello all,

I have moved into a house with an attic tank that has been there for
about 9 years. It is plastic, which is good I guess, but was neglected
by not being covered, so an awful lot of crap looks to have gotten
into it, and seems to be affecting the water in the bathroom. I was
thinking about just replacing it with a fresh lidded one, but how
feasible would it be to clean myself, bearing in mind it is elevated,
so very tricky to reach in and clean? Plus even if I drain it, plenty
of water is left at the bottom, creating further grief.

Can you get inside and scoop the remaing water out?

You can clean yourself by getting a bath more often. ;-)

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

None wrote:
Hello all,

I have moved into a house with an attic tank that has been there for
about 9 years. It is plastic, which is good I guess, but was neglected
by not being covered, so an awful lot of crap looks to have gotten
into it, and seems to be affecting the water in the bathroom. I was
thinking about just replacing it with a fresh lidded one, but how
feasible would it be to clean myself, bearing in mind it is elevated,
so very tricky to reach in and clean? Plus even if I drain it, plenty
of water is left at the bottom, creating further grief.

Can you get inside and scoop the remaing water out?

You can clean yourself by getting a bath more often. ;-)

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

hmmm... yes quite, I'm sure that bath thing might work out. Any ideas
on what to use for scooping? Even that would only take a bit of it out.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28 Jul 2006 09:31:47 -0700, "None" wrote:

hmmm... yes quite, I'm sure that bath thing might work out. Any ideas
on what to use for scooping? Even that would only take a bit of it out.

Bath towel and a bucket?
--
If ignorance is bliss, why aren't more people happy?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message . com
from "None" contains these words:

Plus even if I drain it, plenty of water is left
at the bottom, creating further grief.

How about stirring it while you run water out - that'll flush most of
the grot out.

--
Skipweasel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

None wrote:
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

None wrote:

[...]

Wet 'n Dry vacuum cleaner ?

john2

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Guy King" wrote in message
The message . com
from "None" contains these words:

Plus even if I drain it, plenty of water is left
at the bottom, creating further grief.

How about stirring it while you run water out - that'll flush most of
the grot out.

--
Skipweasel

Hose pipe to siphon it out - it may suck up some of the crud as well. Don't
like the stirring idea. Some heavy crud could remain in low parts of your
plumbing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Guy King wrote:
The message . com
from "None" contains these words:

Plus even if I drain it, plenty of water is left
at the bottom, creating further grief.

How about stirring it while you run water out - that'll flush most of
the grot out.

Probably not because the outlet should be a few inches above the bottom.
I did what others suggested; combination of baling, wet & dry vacuum and
old towel.
Then I fitted a lid & insulation that the builder had forgotten.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from OldBill contains these words:

How about stirring it while you run water out - that'll flush most of
the grot out.

Probably not because the outlet should be a few inches above the bottom.

That's why I suggested stirring it!

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 10:26:53 GMT, John wrote:

Hose pipe to siphon it out - it may suck up some of the crud as well.

It will if you can get a decent bit of fall on the hosepipe, 6 or 8' is
enough. Wanging a bit of flexable hose about isn't that easy to control
though. What I've done for our tanks is to get a length of 15mm tube with
a short stub at 90 degrees at one end. A normal round hosepipe tap
connector goes on the stub to attach the hose. At the other end of the
pipe champher off the end so that there is always a flow of wateras you
move the champhered part across the bottom of the tank to hoover up the
bits. You'll be able to get all but the very last bit of water out of the
tank with this. Splosh in a bit of bleach, rub down the sides etc with a
cloth, partially refill and siphon out the last bits of debris. Maybe
repeat depending on how much bleach you put in... Fill and cover.

Don't like the stirring idea. Some heavy crud could remain in low parts
of your plumbing.

Not to mention possibly blocking filters on washing machine inlets etc.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

well tank gg Home Repair 5 July 12th 06 09:59 PM
Cleaning cold water tank in loft? Colin Brook UK diy 14 June 9th 06 09:46 AM
Moving a Hot Water Cylinder & Cold Water Tank Andy Hide UK diy 1 November 11th 04 12:14 AM
Complete new CH or just new boiler ChrisJ UK diy 4 September 15th 04 09:05 PM
Home water tank water tank pressure not right, do I need a new tank? Gary Slusser Home Repair 2 August 11th 03 04:45 AM