Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Part P question

Anyone know where I stand with this scenario?
Started ripping kitchen apart to rewire it before part P came into force. I
have now completed it and some of the cabling is in new colours etc. Also 06
production dates on some of the MK Chroma gear used on 2nd fix. As you have
to inform building control before the work starts and get them to visit etc,
am I then excempt if I sell the house and somebody sees the dates on cables
etc.

TIA

************************************************** *******************
FREE child internet safety information
http://www.pctattletale.com/cmd.php?af=300997

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Morley wrote:
Anyone know where I stand with this scenario?
Started ripping kitchen apart to rewire it before part P came into force. I
have now completed it and some of the cabling is in new colours etc. Also 06
production dates on some of the MK Chroma gear used on 2nd fix. As you have
to inform building control before the work starts and get them to visit etc,
am I then excempt if I sell the house and somebody sees the dates on cables
etc.

My understanding is that the exemption which applied to projects which
commenced before Part P started only lasted for a few months - until 1
April 2005 IIRC?

Given that if you inform Building Control you might have to end up neing
told to re-expose the cabling etc (oo-er) I'd have thought your best bet
was to keep schtum - or perhaps better, get a PIR done by an independent
sparks? You could also show that to a future buyer of your house.

I'm in a very similar situation myself actually; with a rewiring
project... one 'precaution' I have been taking is to take about a
zillion digital photos at 1st fix stage - hopefully they'll never see
the light of day but if the sh*t ever does hit the fan, hopefully they
might help my case!

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 07:35:31 GMT, Lobster
wrote:

Tim Morley wrote:
[...]

Kinda connected, would someone like to comment on when this requirement of Part
P conformity comes into play.

For example the house next door is up for sale and although there has been lots
of work done on the property, I very much doubt any of it has been signed off
officially.

Now people are looking around and as I understand it are pretty impressed by
what they see and no doubt the house will be sold quite quickly.

Personally I would not walk away from a property that I wanted on the grounds
that it did not have Part P certification.

Is the only downside, that those not in know so to speak, might indeed not
follow through with the purchase or is there some other sanction?

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Tim Morley wrote:
[...]

Simple -

Buyers market - Can you show me that this work was correcly done under Part
P? No? Well I will have to drop my offer by £x to cover putting it right.
Ok, fair enough, anything for a sale.
Sellers market - Can you show me that this work was correcly done under Part
P? No? Well I will have to drop my offer by £x to cover putting it right.
Ok, sod off, someoneone else will pay my asking price., anything for a sale.
Real market - Can you show me that this work was correcly done under Part P?
I am afraid that we have no records and you will have to make your own
determination (add suitable solictorese guff here).
Paranoid market - Can you show me that this work was correcly done under
Part P? No? Well I will have to call in the black jaguar helicopter and the
SAS and you are going down for a very long time my son.

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Tim Morley wrote:
[...]

Essentially, there is no sanction on any lack of paperwork or standards
when selling a house.

IANAL BUT my understanding is that a house that fails to meet arbitrary
standards

- can be condemned as unfit for habitation. Stream water and a bucket
out the back to crap in are typical things.. This is a health department
issue...

- may be uninsurable...wiring that is frankly dangerous for example and
a fire risk..open fires in old chimmneys that allow flue gasses into
wooden structures or thatch.

- may be subject to reverse gazumping as the surveys reveal 'negotiation
points' that are used to bargain teh price down after commitment in
principle.

The BCO's powers are restricted to new work only: If new work is done
the department can, and has, refused to sign off and insisted on
re-working to standards. Lack of a BCO certificate for new work means
that you would be buying a house that might need to have an extension
torn down, and rebuilt for example. *This can only happen if the BCO is
involved in the first place*. Usually because the work is so obvious and
extensive that planning permission has to be applied for.

In practice, you don't need approval for anything that the BCO doesn;t
get involved in.

And, provided no one spots the work, its not an issue either.

The Regulations are of course used by every single snake oil salesman to
try and persuade people that they need new this or that - my mother's
house had an old boiler in it - certified SAFE, but mentioned as 'would
not meet modern regulations' Took me two lawyers letters to say 'so
what: It's safe, and its your problem to replace it if you want'

Likewise the original 1950's wiring.

Most people who buy a house that hasn't been touched for 50-60 years
expect to have to rewire and re-plumb it, anyway. That is reflected in
the price. Lack of certification this case is utterly irrelevant.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tarquinlinbin wrote:
On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 06:34:23 GMT, "Tim Morley" tim.morley*REMOVE
wrote:

Anyone know where I stand with this scenario?
Started ripping kitchen apart to rewire it before part P came into force. I
have now completed it and some of the cabling is in new colours etc. Also 06
production dates on some of the MK Chroma gear used on 2nd fix. As you have
to inform building control before the work starts and get them to visit etc,
am I then excempt if I sell the house and somebody sees the dates on cables
etc.

Dont worry about selling the house. The scenario is,you offer house
for sale,prospective buyers sees it/makes offer,nosey estate
agents/solicitors start rabbiting about silly bits of paper-you say
fine,dont buy it if you dont want to.

yes, it's just the same scenario as has been going for donkeys years
with all the other building regs - "is there building control
certification for that extension/loft conversion/replacement windows etc
etc"; it's really no different as far as I can see.

Except that it's much less obvious to the casual observer whether any
recent electrical work has been carried out, perhaps.

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Even then is it "new" work or replacing "existing" wires and new sockets to
suit the new surfaces?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Indeed, the British are such a compliant nation. It is no wonder they
are so downtrodden.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Fred" wrote in message

wrote:

[...]

replacement, but in a kitchen therefore part P applies

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Morley wrote:

replacement, but in a kitchen therefore part P applies

Not if you were just replacing an accessory like for like (i.e. new
socket face plate) however.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Tim Morley wrote:

replacement, but in a kitchen therefore part P applies

Not if you were just replacing an accessory like for like (i.e. new socket
face plate) however.

Doesn't it also include replacing cable (which may have been damaged) in the
kitchen?

Expanding Mandrels Mike Metalworking 2 April 3rd 06 05:47 AM
Part P question Fred UK diy 1 March 16th 06 11:30 AM
Question about replacing sash cords on old windows - NOT the kind with weights. Mike O'Donnell Home Repair 4 October 23rd 05 03:47 PM
Identify Part - Help Needed Bob Kos Electronics Repair 8 September 24th 05 11:58 PM
DVI input specification of Pioneer PDP504PE (The screen part of the Pioneer PDP504HDE) Art Electronics Repair 0 July 18th 04 03:48 AM