Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default So what now.

Gas oven died. Money tight. A fan oven second hand fits the gap and the
price fits the budget. I borrowed the test gear and it is sound.

The house has never had an electric oven so there is no supply to it.

It did have an electric shower that got changed to a mixer to avoid
being electrocuted by the idiot install that was downright dangerous.

I *am* removing the cabling to that circuit from the fuse box. I *am*
replacing the 16A breaker with a 32A. I'll chase through a proper 2.5mm
cable and mark up the breaker box. The oven wants a 20A wired in supply
and that's no problem either.

What I'm about to run into is Part-p. I've rewired houses. I've done
nightclub lighting systems. 3 phase fails to scare me beyond a healthy
respect for staying alive and being damned careful.

I've read through a lot of stuff this evening. It seems that to run this
cable and change the breaker to a 32A, I need to be 'competent'. I have
a certificate somewhere from some IEEE accredited training place that
says I can do work to 16th edition. I've not really had to do that kind
of thing for a decade.

I'd 'retrospectively' fit this connection and point out that 'it had
always been there' if it wasn't for the minor problem that I've run out
of 2.5mm 27A rated T&A. I have to fit on the new colours.

What do I do to get it OK'd and who do I contact?

Warwick
Posted to uk.d-i-y

If you are doing electrical work on a diy basis (that is not exempted
from part P of the building regulations) then you submit a building
notice to your local building control officer, before work commences.

If you are doing domestic electrical work on a professional basis then
you can obtain a part P exemption through an approved training course
(these are expensive) or do the same as the diy types and use building
notices or full plans subissions.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Warwick" wrote in message
Gas oven died. Money tight. A fan oven second hand fits the gap and the
price fits the budget. I borrowed the test gear and it is sound.

The house has never had an electric oven so there is no supply to it.

Snip

I've read through a lot of stuff this evening. It seems that to run this
cable and change the breaker to a 32A, I need to be 'competent'. I have
a certificate somewhere from some IEEE accredited training place that
says I can do work to 16th edition. I've not really had to do that kind
of thing for a decade.

I'd 'retrospectively' fit this connection and point out that 'it had
always been there' if it wasn't for the minor problem that I've run out
of 2.5mm 27A rated T&A. I have to fit on the new colours.

What do I do to get it OK'd and who do I contact?

Warwick

If your 2.5mm cable is rated at 27A as you suggest, then are you sure you
want to be using a 32A breaker?

I think you should be using 4mm cable here...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Warwick wrote:

[...]

FWIW less than 1% of diyers do the part p stuff. The new colours came
in before pp. Not recommending you do anything naughty, just letting
you know what people seem to be voting with their feet.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 00:34:26 UTC, Warwick
wrote:

I *am* removing the cabling to that circuit from the fuse box. I *am*
replacing the 16A breaker with a 32A. I'll chase through a proper 2.5mm
cable and mark up the breaker box. The oven wants a 20A wired in supply
and that's no problem either.

If it's a 32A breaker, you'll need more than a 2.5mm cable. Or, if you
use a 2.5mm cable, you'll need a smaller breaker!

(for a cooker circuit, I'd always wire it for more than 20A anyway).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Warwick wrote:

[...]

Indeed.

Since the majority of wiring is hidden, if you don't involve the BCO,
and you just uprate your wiring, who is to know it's been done 'latterly'.

Sure some surveyor at some later date might query it if you are trying
to sell..so what? At the worst you will have to get it certified then,
rather than now.

Even my BCO, who is a right sod, didn't seem to mind about my electrics..

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 01:34:26 +0100, Warwick
wrote:

|Gas oven died. Money tight. A fan oven second hand fits the gap and the
|price fits the budget. I borrowed the test gear and it is sound.
|
|The house has never had an electric oven so there is no supply to it.

For cooking gas is much better than electricity, uk.food+drink.misc will
confirm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

For cooking gas is much better than electricity, uk.food+drink.misc will
confirm

I prefer electric fan ovens to conventional gas ones. However, I much prefer
gas hobs to conventional/ceramic electric hobs. This means I should prefer
dual fuel, except that they always insist on having an electric grill, which
I regard as a chocolate teapot, as you can only cook toast in one of those.
Any attempt to grill meat produces as much belching black smoke as a
Lebanese school.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 10:23:51 +0100, Dave Fawthrop wrote:

For cooking gas is much better than electricity, uk.food+drink.misc will
confirm

Not as an oven, gas hob with electric oven is ideal. And if you can't cook
spend thousands on an Aga to advertise the fact.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

imho electric fan oven and induction hob is best combo.
Induction hob is more controllable than gas and a higher % of the
energy goes into the pan. Dead easy to clean too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Firth wrote:
On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 10:23:51 +0100, Dave Fawthrop wrote:

For cooking gas is much better than electricity, uk.food+drink.misc will
confirm

Not as an oven, gas hob with electric oven is ideal. And if you can't cook
spend thousands on an Aga to advertise the fact.

A good cook can cook on anything including a claypit filled with embers.
A bad cook will produce rubbish om any cooker or in any oven.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

|Gas oven died. Money tight. A fan oven second hand fits the gap and the
|price fits the budget. I borrowed the test gear and it is sound.
|
|The house has never had an electric oven so there is no supply to it.

For cooking gas is much better than electricity, uk.food+drink.misc will
confirm

having used both I can only recommend an electric hob. Yes gas is more
responsive, but the additional danger of fire outweighs that in my
mind. And you can get fancy lectric hobs that are more energy efficient
and instantly responsive now too.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
oups.com...

having used both I can only recommend an electric hob. Yes gas is more
responsive, but the additional danger of fire outweighs that in my
mind. And you can get fancy lectric hobs that are more energy efficient
and instantly responsive now too.

Blimey, you overly scared or what?

Gas is miles better than any electric hob I've used. Ok, I've not tried
induction, but at least I don't need to buy special pans.

One of the best things we did to our house, putting a bottled gas hob in. No
mains gas - but it appears that 13kg propane cylinders last for absolutely
ages just driving a hob, and the installation is completly trivial compared
to one of those gert tank things.

cheers,
clive

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from "Clive George" contains these words:

Gas is miles better than any electric hob I've used. Ok, I've not tried
induction, but at least I don't need to buy special pans.

I recently tried one of the modern electric hobs and it's a lot better
than they used to be. Still not as good as gas but a lot closer than
before. My judgement was perhaps coloured by it being in Mum's tiny
kitchen and is only a two-ring unit. The controls were so close to the
rings that you couldn't use a wok and a frying pan at the same time
without it shutting itself down every time you moved anything. Once I
got past that it was actually quite good at cooking.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Clive George wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

having used both I can only recommend an electric hob. Yes gas is more
responsive, but the additional danger of fire outweighs that in my
mind. And you can get fancy lectric hobs that are more energy efficient
and instantly responsive now too.

Blimey, you overly scared or what?

no, I've let several people use it, and have come to realise how lethal
they are in the hands of the drunk and the stupid. Any reasonible
person can work out how not to kill everyone with a gas hob, but the
sad truth is a lot of people are far from reasonable.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Clive George wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

having used both I can only recommend an electric hob. Yes gas is more
responsive, but the additional danger of fire outweighs that in my
mind. And you can get fancy lectric hobs that are more energy efficient
and instantly responsive now too.

Blimey, you overly scared or what?

Gas is miles better than any electric hob I've used. Ok, I've not tried
induction, but at least I don't need to buy special pans.

Gas is useful for people who cannot understand the concept of thermal
inertia. This is most people.

Aga's are perfect for people who can't understand that full power burns
things and who don't like complicated knobs.

Only really good cooks can cook on barbecues..its an art modulating a
charcoal fire to the right temperature.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Gas is useful for people who cannot understand the concept of thermal
inertia.

********. I've have absolutely no problem with the concept of thermal
inertial. Understanding this doesn't actually make it any less tedious to
deal with though.

cheers,
clive

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from The Natural Philosopher contains these words:

Only really good cooks can cook on barbecues..its an art modulating a
charcoal fire to the right temperature.

Mostly 'cos most barbecues don't have sufficient grill-height range.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Aga's are perfect for people who can't understand that full power burns
things and who don't like complicated knobs.

Only really good cooks can cook on barbecues..its an art modulating a
charcoal fire to the right temperature.

But good cooks know not to, unless stuck in the middle of nowhere. As
cookers go theyre the worst.

NT