DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Steel lintel: need mortar bedding? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/170394-steel-lintel-need-mortar-bedding.html)

Lobster July 26th 06 08:55 AM

Steel lintel: need mortar bedding?

If I'm fitting a Catnic steel lintel into a new opening formed in a
brick wall (over a new window), should the ends rest directly on the 6"
of (flat) brick at either end, or on a bed of (stiff?) mortar placed on
the brick first? Building Control will be inspecting so whatever else,
it has to keep them happy!

(I'm thinking now that I do need the mortar; just that I've already
bought a made-to-measure window to fit a gap which I measured assuming
no mortar bed... not a massive problem to resolve but if I don't need
the mortar, no point in making extra work.)

David

[email protected] July 26th 06 07:49 PM

Lobster wrote:
If I'm fitting a Catnic steel lintel into a new opening formed in a
brick wall (over a new window), should the ends rest directly on the 6"
of (flat) brick at either end, or on a bed of (stiff?) mortar placed on
the brick first? Building Control will be inspecting so whatever else,
it has to keep them happy!

(I'm thinking now that I do need the mortar; just that I've already
bought a made-to-measure window to fit a gap which I measured assuming
no mortar bed... not a massive problem to resolve but if I don't need
the mortar, no point in making extra work.)

David

If you dont use a mortar bed, the whole weight rests on one or 2
points, and brick failure is invited.

NT