Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Steel lintel: need mortar bedding?

If I'm fitting a Catnic steel lintel into a new opening formed in a
brick wall (over a new window), should the ends rest directly on the 6"
of (flat) brick at either end, or on a bed of (stiff?) mortar placed on
the brick first? Building Control will be inspecting so whatever else,
it has to keep them happy!

(I'm thinking now that I do need the mortar; just that I've already
bought a made-to-measure window to fit a gap which I measured assuming
no mortar bed... not a massive problem to resolve but if I don't need
the mortar, no point in making extra work.)

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:
If I'm fitting a Catnic steel lintel into a new opening formed in a
brick wall (over a new window), should the ends rest directly on the 6"
of (flat) brick at either end, or on a bed of (stiff?) mortar placed on
the brick first? Building Control will be inspecting so whatever else,
it has to keep them happy!

(I'm thinking now that I do need the mortar; just that I've already
bought a made-to-measure window to fit a gap which I measured assuming
no mortar bed... not a massive problem to resolve but if I don't need
the mortar, no point in making extra work.)

David

If you dont use a mortar bed, the whole weight rests on one or 2
points, and brick failure is invited.

NT

OT - Global Warming Revisited Cliff Metalworking 456 October 19th 05 07:04 PM
bedding steel lintel Neil UK diy 1 October 4th 05 01:42 PM
Brick lintel! Lobster UK diy 5 August 11th 05 11:25 AM
Hang Joists from Steel Beam - Lintel Design TheScullster UK diy 7 March 10th 05 06:54 PM
1018 Steel Elongation Chopster Metalworking 5 February 3rd 05 11:31 PM