Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default German Kitchen Appliance to UK - 3200w 16a

Hello Everyone,

I am about to purchase one of these:

http://www.jaksch-kuechentechnik.de/mobil.htm

Which both come with a standard german plug fitting. The smaller model
(A2000) is 10-16amp, 2200w, so would appear to be fine to replace with
a 13amp plug and connect to any socket in my house.

The larger model (A4000) says 16amp 3200w, so this sounds like too much
for standard UK wiring.

As you can probably tell, I know very little about all this so would
appreciate some advice. The link above has some power rating
information in it, ok it's in german, but hopefully someone will be
able to advise...

thanks in advance.
dan.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11 Jul 2006 05:17:35 -0700, had this to
say:

Hello Everyone,

I am about to purchase one of these:

http://www.jaksch-kuechentechnik.de/mobil.htm

Which both come with a standard german plug fitting. The smaller model
(A2000) is 10-16amp, 2200w, so would appear to be fine to replace with
a 13amp plug and connect to any socket in my house.

The larger model (A4000) says 16amp 3200w, so this sounds like too much
for standard UK wiring.

For the larger model, you'd do best to install a separate radial 20A
circuit from the CU with a socket to match the appliance.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The larger model (A4000) says 16amp 3200w, so this sounds like too much
for standard UK wiring.

It will need to be fitted to a dedicated 16A circuit from the consumer unit.
It could either be hard wired, with the plug cut off, or you could fit a 16A
Schuko outlet.

You probably shouldn't wire it up to a ring circuit. This is because (a) it
would not be protected at 16A like it expects and (b) it could easily
unbalance the ring circuit.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Christian McArdle" writed in
:

The larger model (A4000) says 16amp 3200w, so this sounds like too
much for standard UK wiring.

It will need to be fitted to a dedicated 16A circuit from the consumer
unit. It could either be hard wired, with the plug cut off, or you
could fit a 16A Schuko outlet.

Is this permitted under the new (?part P?) regulations?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
or you could fit a 16A Schuko outlet.

Is this permitted under the new (?part P?) regulations?

Not explicitly. However, it probably comes under EU Common Market
regulations. You can certainly wire up a house to a different EU country's
wiring regulations. Whether you are officially permitted to mix and match,
don't know!

Christian.

I noticed that the Huff Haus at London's ExCel 'Grand Design Show' had
electrical outlets that seemed to be a non-standard 'british' design. The
'boxes' weren't the normal square size although the three pins/sockets were
appropriate sized. None of the outlets I observed seemd to be switched
outlets. Having no intention of acquiring a Huff Haus - I'd never
considered the question;- to what country's wiring regulations are such
structures fabricated?

--

Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from "Christian McArdle" contains
these words:

Not explicitly. However, it probably comes under EU Common Market
regulations. You can certainly wire up a house to a different EU country's
wiring regulations. Whether you are officially permitted to mix and match, I
don't know!

Does that mean I can choose to do my wiring by Irish rules?

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from "Christian McArdle" contains
these words:

Does that mean I can choose to do my wiring by Irish rules?

Basically, yes. It doesn't mean you can follow Irish practices, though!

Oh bum, I knew there's be a catch.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11 Jul 2006 05:17:35 -0700 someone who may be
wrote this:-

I am about to purchase one of these:

http://www.jaksch-kuechentechnik.de/mobil.htm

The larger model (A4000) says 16amp 3200w, so this sounds like too much
for standard UK wiring.

Do you want to move it around? If so, where do you want to move it
between?

If you want to move it around then the way to do this would be with
dedicated circuit(s). The socket(s) could be a 16A Schuko or BS4343.
If only one appliance is going to be plugged in then multiple
sockets could be wired radially. With the Schuko you would need a
16A MCB, with the other you might be able to convince yourself that
a 20A fuse or MCB is an appropriate protective device.

If you don't want to move it around you could wire it to a fixed
outlet. Ideally this would still be via a dedicated circuit.
However, if you have a suitable ring circuit then you might be able
to convince yourself that it can be wired to that, protected by a
local 16A MCB. Suitable would certainly include that the ring is not
already heavily loaded.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Hello Everyone,

I am about to purchase one of these:

http://www.jaksch-kuechentechnik.de/mobil.htm

Which both come with a standard german plug fitting. The smaller model
(A2000) is 10-16amp, 2200w, so would appear to be fine to replace with
a 13amp plug and connect to any socket in my house.

The larger model (A4000) says 16amp 3200w, so this sounds like too much
for standard UK wiring.

Hmmm.........

What is this thing exactly?

It looks a bit like a portable hob/griddle with 2 separate heatng
zones.

My feeling would be that the 3200W is the maximum it could possibly
draw flat out. In practice, this isn't going to happen.

I suspect that if you cut off the plug and fitted a good quality 13A
plug with 13A fuse, and used it only on lightly loaded circuits, you
wouldn't have any problems.

Though if it is only going to be used in one location, then I would be
tempted to go for either a dedicated 13A socket on it's own circuit, or
preferably a fused connection unit.

Not saying you should do it this way, but I think it would be fine.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks Everyone!

I think you've all pretty much summed up what I suspected, i.e. that
this will probably work fine with a 13a plug, but to do it
properly/safely I should have a dedicated circuit, 16a plug/socket etc.

I might just go for the smaller model which is definitely OK for 13a,
although this will no doubt limit my culinary horizons....

Dan.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hmmm.........

What is this thing exactly?

it's a portable Teppan Yaki grill, like they have in Japanese
restaurants where the chef cooks the food in front of you and generally
ponces about with it.

My feeling would be that the 3200W is the maximum it could possibly
draw flat out. In practice, this isn't going to happen.

indeed.

I suspect that if you cut off the plug and fitted a good quality 13A
plug with 13A fuse, and used it only on lightly loaded circuits, you
wouldn't have any problems.

it is tempting...!

Dan.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 15:28:46 +0100, Christian McArdle wrote:

Does that mean I can choose to do my wiring by Irish rules?

Basically, yes. It doesn't mean you can follow Irish practices, though!

Christian.

Or Spanish!!!!!

Dave