DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   OT - What can I buy the wife (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/168602-ot-what-can-i-buy-wife.html)

Andy Hall July 9th 06 11:38 PM

OT - What can I buy the wife

On Sun, 9 Jul 2006 22:31:38 +0100, Eric The Viking wrote
(in article 44b17916.0@entanet):

"Suz" wrote in message
"Homer2911" wrote in message
oups.com...
The wife is 60 in two weeks time - suggestions for a really nice,
lasting gift?

What about a watch? Useful, pretty and lasts.
Got my mum an Armani watch for her seventieth birthday and she seems happy
with that.
See http://tinyurl.com/p9zne for example.

Why bother with a watch when there's a clock on the cooker?

;-)

Every one a winner.

"Why do brides wear white?"

"To match the other domestic appliances"

Alan Holmes July 9th 06 11:57 PM

OT - What can I buy the wife

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

"Suz" wrote in message
"Homer2911" wrote in message
oups.com...
The wife is 60 in two weeks time - suggestions for a really nice,
lasting gift?

What about a watch? Useful, pretty and lasts.
Got my mum an Armani watch for her seventieth birthday and she seems
happy with that.

A watch wouldn't be useful to me, I'm rarely interested in the time. And
I'm not interested in 'pretty' things.

So all that says is that there are different opinions and preferences
among people.

Heck, if someone's been married to someone for (presumably) years he
really should know her preferences better than anyone here does.

It's typical of a man to not bother thinking and making up his own mind
though :-)

I thought you were a master of the way a mans mind does not work!(:-)

Alan

Alan Holmes July 9th 06 11:59 PM

OT - What can I buy the wife

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

"Homer2911" wrote in message
oups.com...

Mary Fisher wrote:

Heck, if someone's been married to someone for (presumably) years he
really
should know her preferences better than anyone here does.

It's typical of a man to not bother thinking and making up his own mind
though :-)

Mary

Mary, it's close on 40 years, and I still haven't got a clue how her
mind works!

You're not trying :-)

40 years come next March, and we've only ever had one arguement - it
started on March 25th 1967 and it's still going on! :-)

Oh dear ... I do hope the smiley tells all ...

Seriously, I've worked hard at finding very special gifts to mark Spouse's
anniversaries, even a flying lesson in a Tiger Moth. When it comes to my
birthday he says he can't think of anything for me.

For example, last night we were at a son's birthday/anniversary party. I
was in deep conversation with my daughter in law when Spouse asked if I'd
like anything to eat. I said thank you, yes. He asked what? I said you
choose. I didn't want to interrupt the talk Bronwen and I were having. He
said he didn't know what I wanted. This after 47 years!

shrug

I'm used to it, he more than makes up for it in other ways.

My response was that I don't ask him to choose what he'd like for his
dinner every night, I think, plan, prepare, cook and serve. I think he got
the message because he brought me a wrap filled with everything on the
table. It was delicious.

Just something you've put some thought into will almost certainly delight
your wife, not something obvious like a bunch of flowers from the filling
station or a box of Roses (bleurch) or a takeaway from McDs.

I have all sorts of ideas but I'm not gong to make it easy for you :-)
Nothing worthwhile is easy, if you put some effort into it she'll love it
and you.

You rotter Mary, here is a fellow who is begging for help and you are
refusing to help him thought you have all the information required.

Shame on you!

Alan

Alan Holmes July 10th 06 12:02 AM

OT - What can I buy the wife

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

"Colin Wilson" wrote in message
t...
Mary, it's close on 40 years, and I still haven't got a clue how her
mind works!
You're not trying :-)

Some people are just useless when it comes to buying pressies - i`m one
of them...

Do you have the same problem when shopping around for something you want?

I have to go and look at it at least ten times, before making any
decision!(:-)

Alan

Alan Holmes July 10th 06 12:05 AM

OT - What can I buy the wife

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

"Grimly Curmudgeon" wrote in message
drugs began to take hold. I remember "Homer2911"
saying something like:

The wife is 60 in two weeks time - suggestions for a really nice,
lasting gift?

30 year old toyboy?

Oh Heavens, that's the last thing I'd want. I prefer someone with a lot
more experience :-)

Is that an invitation?(:-)

Alan

Eric The Viking July 10th 06 12:41 AM

OT - What can I buy the wife

"Suz" wrote in message
"Homer2911" wrote in message
oups.com...
The wife is 60 in two weeks time - suggestions for a really nice,
lasting gift?

What about a watch? Useful, pretty and lasts.
Got my mum an Armani watch for her seventieth birthday and she seems
happy
with that.
See http://tinyurl.com/p9zne for example.

Why bother with a watch when there's a clock on the cooker?

;-)

Every one a winner.

"Why do brides wear white?"

"To match the other domestic appliances"

Haha,

Why did god invent shopping trolleys?

....to teach women to walk on their hind legs.

--
ETV

T i m July 10th 06 07:42 AM

OT - What can I buy the wife

On Mon, 10 Jul 2006 00:41:42 +0100, "Eric The Viking"
wrote:

Haha,

Why did god invent shopping trolleys?

...to teach women to walk on their hind legs.

I just read that to my 15 year old Daughter and her instant reply ..

"So how did God teach men to walk on their hind legs .. put porn on
the top shelf .."

Hmmm ..

All the best ..

T i m

[email protected] July 10th 06 09:42 AM

OT - What can I buy the wife

Owain wrote:

The most exciting presents I've ever got have been logoed pens.

I must get my glasses checked out. You wouldn't believe what I read
that sentence
as, but I wondered how delicate an operation putting the logo on would
have been...

Mary Fisher July 10th 06 09:44 AM

OT - What can I buy the wife

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

"Colin Wilson" wrote in message
t...
Mary, it's close on 40 years, and I still haven't got a clue how her
mind works!
You're not trying :-)

Some people are just useless when it comes to buying pressies - i`m one
of them...

Do you have the same problem when shopping around for something you want?

I have to go and look at it at least ten times, before making any
decision!(:-)

You should take a woman with you :-)

Alan

Mary Fisher July 10th 06 09:46 AM

OT - What can I buy the wife

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

I have all sorts of ideas but I'm not gong to make it easy for you :-)
Nothing worthwhile is easy, if you put some effort into it she'll love it
and you.

You rotter Mary, here is a fellow who is begging for help and you are
refusing to help him thought you have all the information required.

Shame on you!

Well, seriously, surely something means more if thought has been put into
it? Isn't that the main reason we diy?

If you love someone you want to express it in your own way, not someone
else's.

Mary

Alan

Mary Fisher July 10th 06 09:47 AM

OT - What can I buy the wife

"Eric The Viking" wrote in message

Why did god invent shopping trolleys?

...to teach women to walk on their hind legs.

No, because men think it's shameful to have to carry a basket.

--
ETV

Mary Fisher July 10th 06 09:48 AM

OT - What can I buy the wife

wrote:

Haha,

Why did god invent shopping trolleys?

...to teach women to walk on their hind legs.

I just read that to my 15 year old Daughter and her instant reply ..

"So how did God teach men to walk on their hind legs .. put porn on
the top shelf .."

Hmmm ..

All the best ..

T i m

Your daughter's a good lass, she'll go far - and under her own steam.

Mary

Mary Fisher July 10th 06 09:49 AM

OT - What can I buy the wife

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

"Grimly Curmudgeon" wrote in message
drugs began to take hold. I remember "Homer2911"
saying something like:

The wife is 60 in two weeks time - suggestions for a really nice,
lasting gift?

30 year old toyboy?

Oh Heavens, that's the last thing I'd want. I prefer someone with a lot
more experience :-)

Is that an invitation?(:-)

When I've finished with Spouse I'll be open to offers.

Mary

Alan

Mary Fisher July 10th 06 10:41 AM

OT - What can I buy the wife

wrote in message
ps.com...

Owain wrote:

The most exciting presents I've ever got have been logoed pens.

I must get my glasses checked out. You wouldn't believe what I read
that sentence
as, but I wondered how delicate an operation putting the logo on would
have been...

Certainly exciting :-)

Mary

Guy King July 10th 06 10:51 AM

OT - What can I buy the wife

The message om
from contains these words:

The most exciting presents I've ever got have been logoed pens.

I must get my glasses checked out. You wouldn't believe what I read
that sentence
as, but I wondered how delicate an operation putting the logo on would
have been...

Well, I read it as Lego.

--
Skipweasel

Guy King July 10th 06 11:10 AM

OT - What can I buy the wife

The message
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

The most exciting presents I've ever got have been logoed pens.

I must get my glasses checked out. You wouldn't believe what I read
that sentence
as, but I wondered how delicate an operation putting the logo on would
have been...

Certainly exciting :-)

Oh, you didn't say you wanted it in bold.

--
Skipweasel

Fitz July 10th 06 11:12 AM

OT - What can I buy the wife

Owain wrote:
Mary Fisher wrote:
"Grimly Curmudgeon" wrote
The wife is 60 in two weeks time - suggestions for a really nice,
lasting gift?
30 year old toyboy?

Oh Heavens, that's the last thing I'd want. I prefer someone with a lot more
experience :-)

Two x 30-year-old toyboys?

Are you a project manager? ;-)

--
Steve F

Mary Fisher July 10th 06 11:34 AM

OT - What can I buy the wife

"Guy King" wrote in message
The message
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

The most exciting presents I've ever got have been logoed pens.

I must get my glasses checked out. You wouldn't believe what I read
that sentence
as, but I wondered how delicate an operation putting the logo on would
have been...

Certainly exciting :-)

Oh, you didn't say you wanted it in bold.

It's no good to me ... I haven't the equipment.

Mary

Mary Fisher July 10th 06 11:36 AM

OT - What can I buy the wife

"Guy King" wrote in message
The message
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

The most exciting presents I've ever got have been logoed pens.

I must get my glasses checked out. You wouldn't believe what I read
that sentence
as, but I wondered how delicate an operation putting the logo on would
have been...

Certainly exciting :-)

Oh, you didn't say you wanted it in bold.

It's no good to me ... I haven't the equipment.

Mary

Actually, I've just had this wonderful idea for a present for the OT's wife
.... but I bet he won't do it!

chuckle

Mary

Gonzo July 10th 06 02:06 PM

OT - What can I buy the wife

"Guy King" wrote in message
The message
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

The most exciting presents I've ever got have been logoed pens.

I must get my glasses checked out. You wouldn't believe what I read
that sentence
as, but I wondered how delicate an operation putting the logo on would
have been...

Certainly exciting :-)

Oh, you didn't say you wanted it in bold.

Reminds me of an old Les Dawson / Bernard Manning number:

Ugly Nurse to Pretty Nurse: "You know that new patient - when you giving him
a bed bath did you notice he's got "Ludo" tattooed on his todger?"

Pretty Nurse to Ugly Nurse: "Oh, that's not "Ludo, it's "Llandudno".

Boom, boom.

Mary Fisher July 10th 06 04:06 PM

OT - What can I buy the wife

"Gonzo" wrote in message
"Guy King" wrote in message
The message
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

The most exciting presents I've ever got have been logoed pens.

I must get my glasses checked out. You wouldn't believe what I read
that sentence
as, but I wondered how delicate an operation putting the logo on would
have been...

Certainly exciting :-)

Oh, you didn't say you wanted it in bold.

Reminds me of an old Les Dawson / Bernard Manning number:

Ugly Nurse to Pretty Nurse: "You know that new patient - when you giving
him a bed bath did you notice he's got "Ludo" tattooed on his todger?"

Pretty Nurse to Ugly Nurse: "Oh, that's not "Ludo, it's "Llandudno".

Boom, boom.

LOL! The old ones are the best.

As I've indicated already :-)

Mary

nightjar July 10th 06 06:49 PM

OT - What can I buy the wife

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

"Colin Wilson" wrote in message
t...
Mary, it's close on 40 years, and I still haven't got a clue how her
mind works!
You're not trying :-)

Some people are just useless when it comes to buying pressies - i`m one
of them...

Do you have the same problem when shopping around for something you
want?

I have to go and look at it at least ten times, before making any
decision!(:-)

You should take a woman with you :-)

One thing I try to avoid doing when I go shopping. In the supermarket, I
know what I want, where to find it and the best route through the shelves to
minimise the distance walked. With partner along, we aimlessly wander from
shelf to shelf and, just as we are getting towards the end, she suddenly
remembers she wants something in the first aisle we visited, which is at the
other end of the shop by now. She is also incapable of walking past a shoe
shop or perfume counter without stopping.

Colin Bignell

Mary Fisher July 10th 06 08:09 PM

OT - What can I buy the wife

"nightjar .uk.com" nightjar@insert my surname here wrote in message

I have to go and look at it at least ten times, before making any
decision!(:-)

You should take a woman with you :-)

One thing I try to avoid doing when I go shopping.

We both hate the process of shopping so much that we go together so that
neither of us gets out of the suffering.

In the supermarket, I know what I want, where to find it and the best
route through the shelves to minimise the distance walked.

So do we. We avoid most aisles.

With partner along, we aimlessly wander from shelf to shelf and, just as
we are getting towards the end, she suddenly remembers she wants something
in the first aisle we visited, which is at the other end of the shop by
now.

One of you hasn't trained the other properly.

She is also incapable of walking past a shoe shop or perfume counter
without stopping.

You have those in supermarkets???

I can't remember the last time I saw one.

Mary

nightjar July 11th 06 08:03 AM

OT - What can I buy the wife

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...
With partner along, we aimlessly wander from shelf to shelf and, just as
we are getting towards the end, she suddenly remembers she wants
something in the first aisle we visited, which is at the other end of the
shop by now.

One of you hasn't trained the other properly.

I doubt we would have been together so long had either tried.

She is also incapable of walking past a shoe shop or perfume counter
without stopping.

You have those in supermarkets???

The one we use in France does.

Colin Bignell