Posted to uk.sci.astronomy,uk.d-i-y

Default home made wedge?

Martin Brown wrote:
Hayley wrote:
has anyone here made one or seen some plans?

its for the LX90. they seem a bit expensive to me
for what you get.

thanks in advance for any replies

There is an example wooden wedge design by Michael Covington at
http://www.covingtoninnovations.com/...dge/index.html

This looks like it might be adjustable with the suitable hinges.
Perhaps Quadrant stays or whatever inward opening hinged window sashes
are/were called. Anyone know where to get them? Laidlaw Thomson perhaps

or Screwfix perhaps not.

It looks fairly easy to make. I found it after I started down a different path...

I made my own out of stock 18mm aluminium plate. Material available cut
to size from your friendly neighbourhood industrial metals stockist
(parts cost about £60).

The UK represents a small enough range of latitude that you can get
away with a fixed wedge set roughly for where you live and tweak
the legs to get an exact fit. In the US they have to cope with low
latitudes and the scope hanging at precarious angles.

Ordinary hinges such as a pair of heavy duty 4" butts and a piece of
threaded bar would make it easily and infinitely adjustable.

Mine was over engineered and difficult to make so I would not recommend
the way I did it. I designed mine so that the centre of gravity of the
LX200 would be above the main mounting bolt. (AFAICT this is not the
case with Meades super wedge). It is bullet proof but it was harder to
make than it needed to be. It also has holes to mount on a steam pipe
flange on a pipe buried in concrete (from scrap metal dealers.)

If I did it again I would use thicker vertical legs cut at an appropriate angle and
bolts through both plates into the legs. I chose to drill and tap into the sides of
the plates. Angled cuts would have been easier!

Got a pic?