Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT. Fax Software

Hi

Anyone know of cheap or free fax software. Only want to receive fax's not
send them.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , The Medway
Handyman writes
Hi

Anyone know of cheap or free fax software. Only want to receive fax's not
send them.

Do a Google for "faxtalk" thats what I've been using for the last five
or so years. Don't know where it cam from but it works well. IIRC I
think that Windoze has some sort of Fax s/w built in. You will of course
need a modem for it but their very cheap....
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , tony sayer
writes
In article , The Medway
Handyman writes
Hi

Anyone know of cheap or free fax software. Only want to receive fax's not
send them.

Do a Google for "faxtalk" thats what I've been using for the last five
or so years. Don't know where it cam from but it works well. IIRC I
think that Windoze has some sort of Fax s/w built in. You will of course
need a modem for it but their very cheap....

Further to that it seemed as if its was the bundled one they give away with
the modem. I'd expect a fax modem would come with that or something similar.

If you do have a modem you can fax a windows word doc directly...FWIW!......

http://www.faxtalk.com/products/partners/oem/ftc45.htm
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Anyone know of cheap or free fax software. Only want to receive fax's not
send them.

I use Windows XP's built-in fax software to *send* occasional faxes; and
I'm pretty sure you can receive with it too. However, my solution for
the very few faxes I receive is to use a fax-email gateway; ie, my fax
callers dial a number and it appears in my inbox as an email attachment.
I use http://www.efax.co.uk/ which gives me a free 0870 xxxxxx number
- obviously that charges callers at the so-called 'national rate' but
given that it's only used by the occasional business contacting me, 3 or
4 times a year, that's OK by me. However you can get a more
customer-friendly number if required, by paying a sub.

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Lobster" wrote in message
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Anyone know of cheap or free fax software. Only want to receive fax's
not send them.

I use Windows XP's built-in fax software to *send* occasional faxes; and
I'm pretty sure you can receive with it too. However, my solution for
the very few faxes I receive is to use a fax-email gateway; ie, my fax
callers dial a number and it appears in my inbox as an email attachment. I
use http://www.efax.co.uk/ which gives me a free 0870 xxxxxx number -
obviously that charges callers at the so-called 'national rate' but given
that it's only used by the occasional business contacting me, 3 or 4 times
a year, that's OK by me. However you can get a more customer-friendly
number if required, by paying a sub.

David

Yes I set a free account up a few years ago at a firm where I used to work.

Its still working AFAIK.

But, looking at the efax website now I can'`t see where you set up an
account without having to pay.

--

Graham

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graham. wrote:
"Lobster" wrote in message

I use Windows XP's built-in fax software to *send* occasional faxes; and
I'm pretty sure you can receive with it too. However, my solution for
the very few faxes I receive is to use a fax-email gateway; ie, my fax
callers dial a number and it appears in my inbox as an email attachment. I
use http://www.efax.co.uk/ which gives me a free 0870 xxxxxx number -

But, looking at the efax website now I can'`t see where you set up an
account without having to pay.

Yes, just had a shufti myself and it's definitely well concealed!
https://www.efax.com/en/efax/twa/signupFree seems to be the right link.

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
tony sayer wrote:
If you do have a modem you can fax a windows word doc
directly...FWIW!......

My ancient Acorn uses the printer driver to convert any suitable file to a
TIFF for fax use, so in practice anything you can print on the machine may
be faxed successfully to any fax machine - within the limits of the system
resolution.

--
*Puritanism: The haunting fear that someone, somewhere may be happy.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" writes:

Hi

Anyone know of cheap or free fax software. Only want to receive fax's not
send them.

There are services out there that give you your own fax number and
email incoming faxes to you. The cost tends to depend on the type of
number. If that allows you to stop paying rental on a fax line you're
quids in.

Jon
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Hi

Anyone know of cheap or free fax software. Only want to receive fax's not
send them.

common question on alt.comp.freeware

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 4 Jul 2006 23:49:36 +0100, Jonathan Schneider wrote
(in article ):

"The Medway Handyman" writes:

Hi

Anyone know of cheap or free fax software. Only want to receive fax's not
send them.

There are services out there that give you your own fax number and
email incoming faxes to you. The cost tends to depend on the type of
number. If that allows you to stop paying rental on a fax line you're
quids in.

Jon

If you have a Vodafone account it can receive faxes which can be retrieved by
email.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jonathan Schneider wrote:
There are services out there that give you your own fax number and
email incoming faxes to you. The cost tends to depend on the type of
number. If that allows you to stop paying rental on a fax line you're
quids in.

Unless you're a business with high fax usage, you don't need a dedicated
line - a fax modem will respond to the incoming signal from a remote fax.

--
Small asylum seeker wanted as mud flap, must be flexible and willing to travel

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Jonathan Schneider wrote:
There are services out there that give you your own fax number and
email incoming faxes to you. The cost tends to depend on the type of
number. If that allows you to stop paying rental on a fax line you're
quids in.

Unless you're a business with high fax usage, you don't need a dedicated
line - a fax modem will respond to the incoming signal from a remote fax.

And email you and/or print it.

I used WinFax for many years before deciding that no one used fax
anymore anyway.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Natural
Philosopher writes
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Jonathan Schneider wrote:
There are services out there that give you your own fax number and
email incoming faxes to you. The cost tends to depend on the type of
number. If that allows you to stop paying rental on a fax line you're
quids in.

Unless you're a business with high fax usage, you don't need a
dedicated
line - a fax modem will respond to the incoming signal from a remote fax.

And email you and/or print it.

I used WinFax for many years before deciding that no one used fax
anymore anyway.

That's not at all true

A lot of my bigger customers use a fax

I think that they can shove a piece of paper in the machine, dial and
press send without farting about, and they understand it

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Unless you're a business with high fax usage, you don't need a
dedicated line - a fax modem will respond to the incoming signal from
a remote fax.

And email you and/or print it.

I used WinFax for many years before deciding that no one used fax
anymore anyway.

I've found faxing a complaint gets far faster - and from higher up -
attention than either phoning or e-mailing. Perhaps because the old fax
machine is still in the manager's office while the computers are in the
'typing pool'...

--
*The first rule of holes: If you are in one, stop digging!

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 6 Jul 2006 22:38:01 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote
(in article ):

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Unless you're a business with high fax usage, you don't need a
dedicated line - a fax modem will respond to the incoming signal from
a remote fax.

And email you and/or print it.

I used WinFax for many years before deciding that no one used fax
anymore anyway.

I've found faxing a complaint gets far faster - and from higher up -
attention than either phoning or e-mailing. Perhaps because the old fax
machine is still in the manager's office while the computers are in the
'typing pool'...

It may have changed recently, but AIUI, a fax has status as a legal document
- i.e. the machine can produce a receipt, rather like telex machines had/have
the same status.
I am not sure that emails do.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

raden wrote:
In message , The Natural
Philosopher writes
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Jonathan Schneider wrote:
There are services out there that give you your own fax number and
email incoming faxes to you. The cost tends to depend on the type of
number. If that allows you to stop paying rental on a fax line you're
quids in.
Unless you're a business with high fax usage, you don't need a
dedicated
line - a fax modem will respond to the incoming signal from a remote
fax.

And email you and/or print it.

I used WinFax for many years before deciding that no one used fax
anymore anyway.

That's not at all true

A lot of my bigger customers use a fax

I think that they can shove a piece of paper in the machine, dial and
press send without farting about, and they understand it

Yes, well that was my experience about 8 years ago..since then I have
never needed to send or receive one.

Anyway. It IS true that I DECIDED that no one used a fax anymore. It may
not be true that no one uses a fax anymore.

However, in nearly all cases people have faxes only for the mythical
person that hasn't got email. I simply haven't met one of those for so
long now..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In uk.d-i-y, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
It may not be true that no one uses a fax anymore.

There's no "may" about it.

However, in nearly all cases people have faxes only for the mythical
person that hasn't got email. I simply haven't met one of those for so
long now..

It's not as simple as that. I often have occasion to contact small
businesses (small remote foreign hotels, for the most part) which I find
through the web. They often don't have their own web site, so I depend
on web directories for contact information. Those directories might show
no e-mail address, or an out-of-date e-mail address, but a perfectly
good fax number. Fax numbers, unlike e-mail addresses, rarely change.
And even if this small business does have e-mail, that's no use to me if
I can't find the right address. They have a fax because they've always
had a fax and people such as me find it useful.

The other thing in fax's favour is that an English-language fax received
in remote foreign parts isn't likely to be binned on sight as spam.

--
Mike Barnes
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , The Natural
Philosopher writes
raden wrote:
In message , The Natural
Philosopher writes
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Jonathan Schneider wrote:
[...]

Fax users do exist though we get very little in the way of incoming
faxes these days as we have opted out. As to the cost of a separate fax
line that does get used for different things.

Some people still see it that fax is just that, a facsimile of a
document not a scanned copy.. good eh?.

Especially the legal lot and banking seem quite keen on 'em still.....
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tony sayer wrote:
In article , The Natural
Philosopher writes
raden wrote:
In message , The Natural
Philosopher writes
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Jonathan Schneider wrote:
[...]

They obviusly haven't seen what a scanner, fax modem and Photoshop can
do to 'electronic facsimiles' then :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 7 Jul 2006 10:56:18 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote
(in article ):

tony sayer wrote:
In article , The Natural
Philosopher writes

Fax users do exist though we get very little in the way of incoming
faxes these days as we have opted out. As to the cost of a separate fax
line that does get used for different things.

Some people still see it that fax is just that, a facsimile of a
document not a scanned copy.. good eh?.

Especially the legal lot and banking seem quite keen on 'em still.....

They obviusly haven't seen what a scanner, fax modem and Photoshop can
do to 'electronic facsimiles' then :-)

It is of course a nonsense.

It was many years after the adoption of group 3 fax that this became legally
acceptable as well as letter and telex.

I still get a reasonable number of faxes and send a few. As far as business
is concerned it's mainly purchase orders from companies who have hard copy as
the procedure in their ISO 9002 procedures, communications with the
accounting firm and the bank.

As somebody else said, I use fax for anything that is in the direction of a
supplier and may evolve into a "discussion". I think it does seem to carry
a bit more moment than emails.

In terms of provisioning, I have my non-IP telephony services provisioned via
ISDN. There is an ISDN router/modem which provides a last-ditch access to
my network and servers in case there is a failure of my ADSL and WDSL
services. A Fax card installed in a server takes care of fax transmission
and reception, and the software can be accessed remotely over IP to view
received faxes while travelling.

ISDN has the capability of multiple subscriber numbers. An ISDN basic rate
line supports two concurrent calls but can have additional numbers assigned
to the line (up to 10 with BT IIRC). Thus one can have multiple phone and
fax numbers and the incremental cost over the line cost is very small. For
me it is effective for Fax use, having different numbers for different
businesses and for the kids to have personal phone numbers while not
incurring additional full line rentals.

Business service ISDN is still fairly expensive, but the Highway service for
home users is pretty cheap - last time I looked equal to two analogue line
rentals. I believe you can have three MSN numbers on top. This is a
cost effective solution for home businesses and home offices etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 7 Jul 2006 09:17:08 +0100 Tony sayer wrote :
Fax users do exist though we get very little in the way of incoming
faxes these days as we have opted out. As to the cost of a separate fax
line that does get used for different things.

We run our credit card terminal on ours - it means we can put through
transactions whilst the person is on the phone

Some people still see it that fax is just that, a facsimile of a
document not a scanned copy.. good eh?.

For us faxes have do their uses especially where users of our software
have printing problems or where a sketch is worth a thousand words. Sure
some could scan them and email the scan but only some.

They also have their uses if you want to scam people. Before I registered
with the Fax Preference Service (which really does work) I got endless
scams: either quizzes with obvious answers, so-called polls or validation
questionnaires. All of course requiring replies to 09 numbers with
clockwork faxes so the reply would cost the maximum allowed £5. The last
of the three was perhaps the most worrying as one could see that in lots
of firms a well-meaning but simple clerical person would think to take
the load off their boss by ticking the details as correct and sending
them back.