Junior Member

Default Plasterboard advice

new to the site and find that you guys and girls have a lot of advice to offer and wonder if someone could give me some.

I have a cealing (landing area approx 9ft x 12 ft) which has plaster board that i would assume has been on for years. it has cracks in some places and little bits flacking off. i would like to attempt to plasterborad over the current as it would make life simple (and cleaner with no dirt coming down). when plaster boarding do i use plaster board nials into the joists or do i use adhesive, or would it be better to battern the area and attach the boards to the batterns. please forgive my ignorance and all help offered is greatly apprciated.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

markp1706 wrote:

I have a cealing (landing area approx 9ft x 12 ft) which has plaster
board that i would assume has been on for years. it has cracks in some
places and little bits flacking off. i would like to attempt to
plasterborad over the current as it would make life simple (and cleaner
with no dirt coming down). when plaster boarding do i use plaster board
nials into the joists or do i use adhesive, or would it be better to
battern the area and attach the boards to the batterns. please forgive
my ignorance and all help offered is greatly apprciated.

There's plenty in the archives of thos newsgroup on the pros and cons of
replacing ceilings using the different methods you mention - try
googling for it (but look for "ceiling" rather than "cealing" or you
won't have much luck!)

You certainly can't use adhesive for boarding a ceiling; and these days
most people use plasterboard screws (and an electric driver) rather than
nails but you can use those if you want.

However, do you really need to do this? Is your existing ceiling
definitely plasterboard and not lath-and-plaster? If so, and assuming
you'd be skim-plastering your new ceiling anyway, I'm not sure what
you'd be gaining by using new plasterboard when a combination of
scraping/filling/using scrim tape on the existing ceiling would give
perfectly OK results.

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:
markp1706 wrote:

[...]

Yep,if its not lattice plaster then just put scrim over the cracks and fill
the flakey areas then skim over with new plaster.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 03 Jul 2006 11:31:30 GMT, "The3rd Earl Of Derby"
wrote:

Lobster wrote:
markp1706 wrote:

[...]

You should apply PVA with a roller before re-skimming a ceiling. With
the old plaster flaking off I'd board over it though.